PCOS and Diet

MrsAM

Reaction score
Hi guys

Basically I am still trying to control my weight as I find it is the major side effect of PCOS that I find difficult to deal with.

It took me months to lose a simple 10 kg and bring my BMI down to a normal level so I could at least start some form of fertility treatment. It was so difficult and such a depressing time of my life as I found it nigh on impossible to lose the weight. I would exercise, try to eat less, lose some weight then the next day if I ate normally or had a big meal it would all come piling back on again thus leading to more misery and the cycle continued.
The weird thing is I only lost a huge amount of weight after I went on holiday, got so sick I was vomiting for a week, and was put on a glucose drip for two days! I lost an amazing 25 kg if you can believe that and soon as I got back I was down at that hospital lol.

Anyway I am 5'3 and originally weighed 80 kg I know shocking, but the weird thing is if you looked at me everyone says I do not look that big, not slim but not really huge either but I know better hehe.

So when I lost all that weight about a year and half ago I went down to around 55 kg and then it slowly crept back up where I am now oscillate between 68 and 70 kg.

My issue is I find it extremely hard to cut out the carbs but I am being deadly serious about this as the Drs told me although my weight is ok now I should try and lose more. So I am going to limit my rice and pasta intake to once a week abd completely try and cut out cakes etc. The only carbs I try and allow myself now is bread, wholemeal rye to be specific.

My question is this: is this enough to lose some weight? Should I be cutting out all carbs or is bread ok? Is pasta and rice once a week too much? I would really appreciate ypur views and experience.

Thanks

Hey, eliminating carbs will most likely be enough to lose weight, especially if you have more servings then recommended daily.
I honestly think that bread of any kind should be eliminated from the diet first...I am no expert but I have done enough research to know that brown rice is the better alternative. I am a carb fanatic...anything carb; I LOVE.
Also, I have PCOS and I need to lose weight...and my plan is this. Every other day is a carb free day, and the opposite days I will have rice as my carb. HTH and GL.

Hey Kiwilove

Thanks! I am also a major carb addict...that's why my weight yoyos so much I can't seem to avoid them, they're in everything.

Hmmm ok so you think I should cut out bread as much as possible. You're probably right butI wanted to keep it as my last little carb bit on the side lol.

I know brown rice is better for you but I ate it once and I did not like it! How can you force yourself to eat stuff that you think tastes like straw.

As for your plan I think that could work. Yesterday I resisted having a very carby gloopy piece of cake I am deadly serious about this. I do exercise but its useless unless you control what goes in your mouth so heres hoping our carb abstinence works for us.

GL and tonne of BabyDust to you too x

Yer my weight is also up and down I also feel everytime I eat I put loads of weight on my bmi is high but I go to the gym every other day and it as slowly gone down.

The only way I can eat rice, is if its in a stirfry...or loaded with soysauce AND ketchup...I know it sound disgusting but I love it!
I learned the eating everyother day carb free from Dr.Oz, mind you I havnt started it yet...just waiting for grocery day!
MY BMI Is in the obese section:nope:, but I really don't look obese...my Fertility doctor did not mention to me to lose weight in order to be put on clomid, im just doing it to be as healthy as possible, been TTC for two years so I have to try something new, and losing weight is first on my list..was just DX with PCOS and am now on metformin, so that should help some..also been doing skinny fiber, lost 15 inchs in two weeks but did not lose any pounds.

I went a whole day without carbs, to see if I could do it, and I did, but feel it will be hard to do long term. I think once I find foods I actually like without carbs in it then I will get easier. I felt a difference in my body without putting carbs in my diet for that day.

Hey, I'm a fellow PCOS suffering and have battled with my weight my whole adult life, the thing I find effective is low carbing, its not easy but it works. I lost 4 stone and conceived my son without even trying. I'm now trying to conceive baby number 2, my weight has yo yo'd abit since I had him but im low carbing again in hope that I'm successful. Feel free to pm me if you want any advice on low carb dieting. xx

Hey guys

Just wanted to know if anyone doing a no or low carbs diet is finding it? I was doing it for a week (got sidetracked by a party and ended up spoiling it but back on track again).

Anyway I did notice I definitely looked slimmer to the point where other people commented on it...weighed myself and still the exact same weight??! :wacko: Now I don't know if I really have lost weight or is it all water weight. I will not be weighing myself regularly as I tend to get a bit obssessed lol but I thought it was weird I could fit into a dress I havent been able to fit into for a while and still be the same on the scales.

Would love to hear you guys are doing

I am a long time low carb-er lol!! 10 years! I set a weight in my head that I will not go over and when I am at my goal, I go off until I hit that number - its probably too high! I am back on after 4 months, on about my 5th day or so. Trying to lose 15lbs. I have noticed that the scale can "stick" but comments or clothing prove I'm losing... just keep on it, then one day the scale jump way down.

I eliminate all bread products, rice, corn, pretty much anything white or yellow. My main diet staple is veggies, followed closely by meat, then nuts, some fruit- tomato, avocado mainly. Maybe berries for a treat. less than 2 oz of cheese, ranch dressing, or sour cream a day. I switched diary milk to almond milk (still kind of high, but 1/2 a cup a day is ok). Nothing but water to drink (sometimes with lemon). artificial sweeteners are allowed, i just avoid chemicals altogether.

What works so well for me is a 2 week menu. Then I hit the store and follow it to a tee! Now that I'm so familiar, i "wing" breakfast and lunch just by buying my favorite items, but follow a menu for dinners. My kids and hubby all need carbs due to heavy athletics and their weight, so I make a low carb main dish and 1 side, plus a carb add on (potatoes, rice, bread, ect)
Also, I've found if I exercise I am less likely to fall off!
Good luck!

Thanks Wish4Baby, that is more or less exactly what I am doing. I am amazed at my own willpower for once, like where did it finally come from and where was it before?!! Lol.

Thanks for the scales advice. I won't let the fact that the scales seem set on bringing me down by not shifting an ounce of weight off the screen put me off. I just wanted reassurance all this carb starving will eventually work and hopefully tip my hormones back into balance!

Lots of Baby Dust to you too xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"