PCOS and Mirena

book8clever

Reaction score
Wanted to see if anyone is in the same boat as I am. I recently had my Mirena removed (March 3rd) and am still awaiting af. I have a history of PCOS and hyperthyroidism (under control) but have never really had regular periods.

My OB/GYN gave me Provera to jump start my period but it didn't work. I called after 2 weeks of waiting and they said to give it another 2 weeks. Still no af, so I called again and they said to wait another month! They thought my uterine lining may just be too thin yet after the Mirena.

I am halfway through the month-long wait to call my doc again and am not handling the waiting well (still no af). With a history of PCOS, I went to the doc thinking I may not be able to have kids, but she assured me she would get me pregnant. Well, now I'm completely focused on TTC #1 and not liking the waiting.

It sounds like the next step may be an ultrasound to look at my uterine lining. Anyone have any experience with this? Either the waiting after Mirena removal and having PCOS or not being able to get af after taking Provera? I have taken Provera 7-8 years ago to get a period and it worked immediately, so I am more than a bit worried.

Any suggestions on how to tame the baby crazy in me?

Wow that is crazy not to get a period, especially when you have a known history of it working. Since I got impatient waiting to get into my doctor I did try Dong Quai once (well twice now) and got my period within a day. But it is an herb so it is something to research before trying it.

I am currently on progesterone waiting for af. I am just starting it so should end May 5th and expect af May 10th or so. I also have PCOS and rarely ovulate so I will be doing clomid. It has been very successful for me in the past so I am hoping for another bfp with it.

In terms of taming the baby crazy I am trying to keep busy. I have been focusing so much on my yard to keep myself occupied. And I am in the processing of putting in a sunken garden spot and raised garden beds. So that is not an easy job. My biggest suggestion would be to do something to spoil yourself. Learn a new hobby (pinterest is great for this!!) or do something you love. Once I had DS I really did lose the ability to do something alone for just me. I really wish that I would have, but instead I was obsessed with getting pregnant.

Thanks so much for responding! I am overwhelmed with the journey we have undertaken and am so new to the fertility treatments.

It is great clomid has worked for you in the past! I am hoping the same. I am thinking that if clomid does not work for me, then I may try Napro technology instead of going straight to IUI or IVF. I am just concerned about costs of fertility treatments since my insurance, like many, does not cover it.

What is Napro technology? I have not heard of that before.

It is done with the Creighton model. The Creighton model tracks CM to determine ovulation/fertile periods. NaPro technology is about finding the underlying cause of infertility and fixing it. So, if your progesterone levels are too low they give you bio-identical hormones. I've read that with PCOS, if hormones do not work and you need surgical interventions, then they do an ovarian wedge resection. Often this allows regular cycles to return.

It is hard to find information on it, though, since they want you to pay for classes and learn through that. This is just information I have found out. From what I have seen personally, though, it has worked for others. And I read that it is much more successful for people with PCOS compared with IVF.

So I am torn about if I want to jump down that rabbit hole or not. I think I am set on trying the typical Clomid/Femara rounds first. But then I worry about miscarriages and such (which are usually prevented using napro since they are better about testing hormones throughout).

That actually seems to be very interesting. It seems like it would be effective over just a blanket treatment for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->