PCOS & Breastfeeding

KylasBaby

Girl Mom
Reaction score
Hope you all don't mind me popping in here. Just trying to get all the information I can so I'm prepared when this little one graces us with her presence.

Just looking for some insight I to the experience of Breastfeeding moms with PCOS. I would like to breastfeed, but know given my PCOS that it could be tricky. From what I've found with PCOS about a third have an over supply, a third have an under supply and a third are fine. Just wondering what PCOS moms experiences were/are with Breastfeeding and if you had a weak supply, what you did to increase it?

Thanks!

I had two normal, postive breastfeeding experiences. I have had PCOS for as long as I can remember having periods.

I was a bit worried with my daughter as I also had GD and a planned c-setion but my milk was in before 48 hours had passed and she gained very well.

I nursed my son until he was 19 months and the only thing that stopped me was being pregnant with my daughter and having a very large nursing aversion and also nipple pain from pregnancy. My daughter weaned earlier at 11 months, but that was more my fault than anything to do with my milk.

That's awesome! Congratulations on that that's great. And thank you :)

My son is a little over a month old, and I've been pumping since his birth. He never latched on properly, and he is also lip tied, so he chews instead of sucks. My supply is (and has always been) extremely low, and I've had to give him formula since his first day of life. My milk took forever to come in. I can never pump more than 50 mL at a time. I have done everything to increase it - fenugreek, lactation cookies, breast massage, hot compresses, power pumping, you name it. Nothing seems to help, so he only gets two to three bottles of breast milk a day. It's so discouraging, but I will continue to pump for a year if I can. I figure a little bit of my milk is better than nothing.

Good luck! I truly hope your experience is a positive one, and that you have no issues with your supply.

My son is a little over a month old, and I've been pumping since his birth. My supply is extremely low and I've had to give him formula since his first day of life. My milk took forever to come in, and I can never pump more than 50 mL at a time. I have done everything to increase it - fenugreek, lactation cookies, breast massage, hot compresses, power pumping, you name it. Nothing seems to help, so he only gets two to three bottles of breast milk a day. It's so discouraging, but I will continue to pump for a year if I can. I figure a little bit of my milk is better than nothing.

Good luck! I truly hope your experience is a positive one, and that you have no issues with your supply.

That's totally amazing fizzy... I loathe pumping (never got very much from it either with DS1. DS2 was a bit better). Well done!

Kylasbaby I have PCOS and have been breastfeeding for over 3 years.

With DS1 I had some issues with supply (around the 4 month mark) but took Fenugreek and that really helped (you need to take a LOT of it... if you smell like maple syrup you've found your dosage). He breastfed until the day before he turned 2 (self-weaned). His brother was born a month later so not much of a rest for me!

DS2 has been pretty much without issue (aside from pumping which takes a lot of work/time for me but had to be done so I could go back to work). He still bf first and last thing and if I'm home a few extra times during the day.

Another thing which you've probably already come across (given you're researching stuff) is baby-led attachment if you can do it. Once baby is born put him/her on your chest and let him find his way to a feed.... Both my babies did this and I think it was good for us both! IMO a much better start that having some overbearing m/w pushing/pulling you both.

Has anyone used metformin to increase supply? I hear it helps and may ask my doctor about it. I've been looking into herbs and supplements to help as well.

No, I used it when I was first diagnosed with PCOS. I didn't know it could be used to increase supply. I stopped taking it after a week or so because the side effects were horrible (it gave me diarrhea and stomach pain).

Reglan is another prescription used to increase supply.

I've had PCOS for years too and have had a normal, successful experience breastfeeding. If anything, I think I've had a very slight over supply, but not really any problems with leaking or anything.

I'm glad you posted about your milk coming in before 48 hours, Minties, because mine came in after about 43 hours (I had a c-section too) and people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them...but it did!

Good luck!

Did those of you who breastfeed successfully have signs before birth such as breasts leaking or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->