PCOS Ladies - Don't give up hope!

UK Sarah 33

Mother of 1
Reaction score
Thought I would post this message to let you all PCSO'ers know not to give up !

Well, I am in shock - tested Monday and Today and both BFP's! Still think it's not real and that AF is gonna arrive.........I know it's very early days but I am still pleased that I have managed to get pregnant!

I was diagnosed in December 2009 with PCOS after I had skipped two periods and kept getting BFN's. My AF cycles were always regular 28 days, not heavy at all so I went for a private internal ultrasound and was in complete shock when I was diagnosed with PCOS. The gyno said that my ovaries were completely covered in cysts and a couple of them were very large. He explained that I more than likely have had PCOS all my life and that putting on weight had stopped my periods and brought it to my attention.
I was prescribed with Provera there and then and my AF arrived a week or so later on Christmas Day. I started taking Metformin that my GP prescribed on 20th December so hadn't been on it long before I conceived on our first try!
Whether the Metformin helped me or not I will never know as I had only been on it a few weeks! All I can say is that I feel extremely lucky and pray that I can get through the next 3 months with no problems!

I had been ttc for a year with my current partner before PCOS was diagnosed.
Previous to that my ex-husband and I had ttc for over three years however he had health problems and we always assumed that the issue was with him and not me and he would never get tested which was one of the reasons we divorced.

I was asked when I went for the internal scan if I thought that I was ovulating and I said that I had never felt any twinges or signs mid cycle
ever!! ......well I did this cycle, quite sharp twinges but I thought it was the cysts on my ovaries playing up! When I didn't come on after 28 days I thought, here we go - another missed period and tested four days later.

So, ladies - be positive, don't give up hope! I have only been on Metformin a month now and it has worked for me!

I wish you all the best of luck and send lots of baby dust your way!

Congratulations!! It is great to here a success story :) . I have PCOS too and am keeping my fingers crossed for a sticky bean!!

Congratulations! I have PCOS too so your story does give me hope. X

Congrats! I was diagnosed feb 09 with PCOS and I have been TTC since june with no medication....infact I dont even know if I'm ovulating! My GP has recently done blood work to see if I'm ovulating on my own and if not I will look into being prescribed Metformin/clomid etc. I'm so glad you got your :bfp: so soon. I know tiy have been TTC a long time prior to finding out about your PCOS but atleast now the doctors have sorted it out for yoiu.

Congratulations and I hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months! You must be SUPER excited :hugs: xx

Congratulations!!!!! Your story gives us ALL some hope...Thanks for sharing

Thanks Ladies for your kind messages! Yes I am super excited but also very cautious at the same time if you know what I mean.
I wish you all lots of luck and hope you get your BFP's very soon xxx

Congratulations! I also have pcos and was diagnosed 10 years ago, my partner also has recently had his Vasectomy reversed so fingers crossed x

Best of luck to you hun - fingers crossed that you get your BFP very soon xx

Congratulations! I was diagnosed with PCOS too and after a series of tests, I´m going to start on Metformin soon, since I´m insulin-resistant. IN germany, they test everything before prescribing anything! So yeah....I hope to get my BFP soon! And nope, I´ve never felt any tinges in my ovaries before, so chances are that I don´t ovulate naturally either! One qn though....what dosage of Metformin were you on? Also, did you have any side effects?

Hiya - I was taking 500mg three times a day.

For the first week to ten days I suffered severe stomach upsets and a little bit of nausea but that soon went off.

I started the first week just taking 500mg per day, 1000mg per day in the second week and then the full dose on the third week - a couple of weeks later I got my BFP!

Oh cool! :) Thanks for your reply! I will consult my gynae and try it out too. May I ask if you were given the option to try Metformin or Clomid? Cos my Endocrinologist wants me to take Metformin but my gynae suggested Clomid because she said that Clomid has less side effects....I´m concerned because Clomid can only be taken for 3 mths because of risk of ovarian overstimulation.

Also my Endo. only wants me to take 1,000mg a day....do you think I should increase it to 1,500 myself?

I was prescribed with Metformin and my doctor told me the next course of action would be clomid if I hadn't ovulated on my own after 3 or so months. Obviously I did ovulate on my own thankfully.

When do you go back to see your doctor? I wouldn't take any more than you have been prescribed but perhaps you could mention your dosage on your next appointment?

Hey Sarah, I think I might have mistaken. I think I might have to take 500mg, 2 times a day at the beginning. Once in the morning and once at night. After 2 weeks if I´m ok with the medication, she wants me to take 2 x 1000 mg daily. Eh, I think that´s a LOT!

May I ask if your nausea and stomach problems were "manageable"? Could you still work after that? I´m a bit worried because I HATE HATE nausea...I know its normal to have nausea when you´re pregnant, but I don´t want to be not pregnant and have nausea....sorry if I´m asking sooo many questions!

I know of other ladies who are on a 2000mg dose - I guess it depends on your doctor as to what dose they prescribe.
Luckily I started taking the metformin over the Christmas break so I was off work when I started taking them. I did have an upset stomach every day for the first week but it was totally manageable. If necessary, could you not explain to work that you may need to take a few days of if you have bad side effects?? Perhaps start taking them on a Friday so you have the weekend to get over the worst?? Nausea wise, it wasn't too bad to be honest - I just had a few days of feeling a bit sick and light headed.
Best of luck - hope all goes well for you hun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->