• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PCOS, OH problems, 3 years TTC, now pregnant :)

Eala

Mum of two gorgeous girls
Reaction score
Well, thought I'd add my success story too! :D

I was diagnosed with PCOS after we had been TTC for a year, with no joy. I hadn't had a period for a year at the point, so GP did a blood test which came back positive for PCOS. I was referred to a gynaecologist, and prescribed Metformin.

Whilst on Metformin, I lost 2 and a half stone, also tried agnus castus, and went from 0 periods to a cycle that was between 28 and 31 days :) Still no luck with conceiving though, so the gyney registrar decided to refer me for a lap&dye.

Appointment came through for May of last year. I went along, and the consultant asked if I had brought the results of my husband's SA with me. I explained that we'd never been given the results, and didn't know who had them (was a long story, with much chasing up and frustration! No point going into it now, as we're both fairly sure the first lab totally messed things up). Anyways, the consultant said there was no point putting me through a general anaesthetic and an invasive procedure, without knowing if hubby's bits were working! I was very upset by this point, felt like I'd been messed around left, right and centre. Consultant was lovely, told me to phone the Assisted Conception Unit to make an appointment for hubby to give them a sample, and said she'd see me at her clinic in 2 weeks.

Lo and behold, she kept her word, and we saw her a couple of weeks later. Turns out that hubby's result wasn't great (though not as bad as the first lab made out, when those results were tracked down). Low motility was the big thing, but there were other issues too. At that point, we were told that our only option was ICSI. We were put on the waiting list, and settled in to... well, wait :lol:

Around November 2008, we got our letter saying that we were at the top of the waiting list, and that our screening appointment was in January. At this point I'm several months into my nursing degree, and on placement. My MIL and FIL are up staying with us, plus I have my first nursing exams. Stress levels through the roof! As if a normal in-law visit wasn't bad enough, MIL develops an acute angle glaucoma, and ends up being rushed into hospital! Luckily she responded marvellously to the drugs, and she didn't lose her sight in that eye.

Anyways, the screening appointment for ICSI was on the last day of my placement :lol:. We went through all the paperwork, all the bumpf, the explanations, etc etc. Got blood taken. The nurse asked me if I tended to have regular cycles, and so I said yes, they tended to be 28-31 days. I mentioned that I was (unusually) on day 36 at that point, but I'd put it down to the in-laws + exams + placement. The nurse said that they had to get a urine sample to test for bugs anyway, so she'd check for pregnancy too, and I just about fell off my chair laughing. Well anyway, I guess she didn't test it for pregnancy, because I didn't hear anything from them :lol:

Appointment was the Wednesday. That weekend, I felt SO ill. I ended up going to bed on Friday evening, and just feeling like crap. I desperately wanted sherbert lemons and chilli heatwave doritos :rofl: Hubby is a darling, and he went out to buy some stuff to tempt me to eat (including the sherbert lemons and doritos :lol: ).

The Monday morning was my first day back at University. I got up when hubby did, I don't know why (I love my bed!) but I just had this little thought in my head "What if...?" Was on day 41 by that point. I'd had really sore breasts for a couple of weeks, and felt moody and down, but that was fairly normal PMT for me. Just this time it hadn't followed up with a period!

Anyways, I got out my bunch of pee-sticks... I swear, I still remember the moment that second line appeared on the first one. And the second, 3rd, 4th and 5th :rofl: The world stopped moving, but I kept going! World spin, majorly! I phoned OH in absolute shock. One of the best moments of my life.

So that was many many weeks ago now! Little darling decided to stick, and I'm now 26+6 weeks :) We found out 6 days ago that we're having a baby girl, and from what we could see on our 3D scan (when she moved her hand!) she is absolutely beautiful :)

I couldn't be happier, neither could husband. It is ALWAYS worth having hope - we were given a less than 1% chance of conceiving naturally, even though it seemed like I was ovulating after being on Metformin. Although I hated people saying it when I was TTC, RELAXING is a big thing! I think knowing that our appointment was coming up made us just kinda go "Oooh, ok..." and let go a bit. Lo and behold, a natural BFP :) It can happen, it's apparently fairly common at the ACS unit I was at, and it's just happened for a friend of mine too! So... best advice I can give - RELAX :hugs:

Best of luck to everyone who is TTC, :hugs: and :dust: for you all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->