Pelvic Girdle Pain

Sweetpea1010

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm starting the third trimester tomorrow and as of last week I have started having some serious PGP. I thought I was just sore from prenatal yoga but it turns out that isn't the case. Anyone else have this? I have pain changing positions and walking. I'm wondering if yoga makes it worse? I know some positions are helpful but I'm worried that others are putting too much strain on my ligaments. Also has anyone had this during a previous pregnancy and had it affect labor or delivery?

Welcome to third tri! I feel your pain unfortunately. I have also been diagnosed with PGP and my Dr told me that yoga is one of the best things for PGP. I have kept up my classes and spoken to the teacher about specific exercises to help me. If anything doesn't feel right, like yesterday it was squats, then I don't do it and she tells me something to do instead such as scoops.

If you're in the UK it's worth speaking to your midwife as you can sometimes get maternity bands from them for free. Also I have borrowed a birthing ball from my friend as it can help to sit on one instead of slouching on the sofa.

The main thing is when getting up or sitting or turning over in bed keep your knees together, helps a lot. Also try not to lift anything even remotely heavy and try to avoid going up and down stairs too often.

The doctors and midwives I have spoken to have said it actually helps a bit in labour as the ligaments are all relaxed and it's a bit easier to push baby out. I'm hoping for a home birth and have been told that there is no problem with having a home birth with PGP and it may even be the best place for me so they obviously aren't worried about it affecting the birth.

Sorry that was long, I've been doing a lot of reading up on it recently!

Hi :) I have this.... It was severe... To the point I couldn't walk or sleep.... I was going to physical therapy for it, that only made it worse .... The one thing I did benefit from was the giant gel Ice pack they had me get, I ice it every night. Or off and on throughout the day..... Also something hat really helps was changing my shoes to basic flats .... Anything with the smallest heel is crippling! 100%flat boots or tennis shoes definitely relieve the pain..... Sleeping with a pillow between legs and keep it there while rolling over to change positions somewhat helps also.... Hang in there!!! My dr prescribed me Norco (narcotic) because I was so sleep deprived.... I ended up filling the script but not taking it, I felt so wrong to take the drug ..... So I tried every possible thing! I found some relief !

i had this with my first and current pregnancy (i've heard it also referred to as symphysis pubic dysfunction). i've been told that chiropractor work can really help. i still haven't gone (i think because of my own fear of being "adjusted"). i have also heard that acupuncture can really help. i've gone to acupuncture many times for other issues (i.e. ttc) so i'm very comfortable returning.

i i definitely have a "waddle" from it. lifting my leg to get dressed, getting out of the car, and sleeping can be quite uncomfortable.

i bought a babybellyband https://babybellyband.com
which has given me some relief (especially the groin bands). not the cutest thing in the world, but worth it for the relief.

i hope this helps. :hugs:

I'm pretty sure I'm in the beginning stages of PGP as well, have not been diagnosed though. I felt it several weeks ago before school got out for the holidays, but then I didn't feel it as much during winter break. Now that school has started again - cue the pain! After every class I waddle like a freakin penguin. I'm just hoping it won't get any worse. I'm doing yoga once a week to help counteract it, and I have an exercise ball that I try to sit on instead of couch/kitchen chair.
Good luck :flower:

I've had this too such an extent my OH has to help me get up, dressed or in the bath ...

i have found having a warm bath, a hot water bottle between the legs, a pillow or painkillers help, as does a birthing ball ... but i was told by another lady suffering that the only real cure is childbirth :haha:

its awful but there are slight things we can do to ease the pain alittle.

good luck huni, i hope you feel better soon :hugs: xx

Thanks ladies! I had a chance to talk with my doctor about it and he encouraged the yoga as long as the instructor was aware of which positions I should avoid. So that's good, it's the one thing that I feel good after doing! I've also found that a heating blanket on my lower back helps. Fortunately it's just in my lower back/butt, I've heard that some women experience it in the front which seems so terrible. It's good to know I'm not alone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->