people judging based on names chosen for baby

mummie2be

Reaction score
Can people not realize how they're words make others feel? I don't care what anyone else thinks about the name we choose, we love, but do they need to voice their opinions about how it is stupid and we could've chosen better.

Someone said that to you? Ouch! It's yiur decision what you call your bubs! x

Yeah you will get it, people are just nasty sometimes.

My little girls name is apparently more suited to a dog than my baby. It's lucky I was on the phone with said person who mentioned that or I've have put her two front teeth on the floor!

Yeah you will get it, people are just nasty sometimes.

My little girls name is apparently more suited to a dog than my baby. It's lucky I was on the phone with said person who mentioned that or I've have put her two front teeth on the floor!

a cousin actually said she was going to get name hey dog the same name before we have our baby so I have to pick a new one, I was absolutely livid!

I think it's a beautiful name! And I also know excatly how u feel... when we named our son we were told it's a bad choice and he's going to be made fun and we should rethink it! Honsetly it really pissed me off and they were family members!!!!!!! We call him by his middle name and he's almost 2 and some family still call him by his first name which he obviously wont answer too which annoys the hell outta me!!! Wish people would respect others decisions!!!!

K seriously! Arianna is a gorgeous name and I'm very picky with names... Beautiful choice! Don't listen.

People are dumb! My cousin worked in a daycare and one of thes name was noah (the name we have had picked for our son) and she can only seem to relate it to him he had some mental disabiltys and do gross things I told her to get over it and that was her name

We have the same girls name picked out, only spelled different! My daughters name is Ariana Isabelle :)

How are you pronouncing it? I am VERY picky about how people pronounce it, I just have a particular preference. :)
Her name will be pronounced Air-E-Ah-Na instead of Ar-Ee-Anna or Air-Ee-Anna. I think they are all beautiful pronounciations. :)

So far (though today has only been the first day we found out gender) everyone said what a cute name, love the name. If someone did say they didn't like it I would reply, well it isn't your child now is it. My baby girls name will be Claire Samantha.

We are pronouncing it Ar-ee-ah-na. I absolutely love the name.

I know how you feel. :( My MIL hates our little girl's first name. When DH told her the name we chose, she gave us this look of pure disgust. Then to make it worse, she spent the next 2 hours thinking of different names to name her. Me being pissed was an understatement. Then she finished with, "Well, its ok. I'll just call her 'Hunnie' instead of Grace." Then, she called DH while we were out to dinner that same night to suggest even more names. :gun: DH was a good sport about it though. He knows his mom is bat-shit crazy and just wants to say that she named the baby, but still. I'm still pretty livid about it!

My DD's name is Aviana :) ah-vee-ah-nuh ... And everybody felt the need to comment. Some random stranger told me I was ruining her life! I came very close to changing her name until I realized that I didn't really care what anyone thought. Everyone pronounces it wrong like Ay-vee-anna or sometimes just call her Ariana like they saw an r instead of v but oh well. If you love it, that's all that matters!!!

I think this is a difficult one. I agree with everyone else that you shouldn't take one or two negative opinions into account. On the other hand, if 20 people told me my chosen name was a dog's name or sounded stupid or whatever, if probably think about changing it. Not because I care what people think but because it would make me worry that people would be just as rude to my child when they're here. In a way, reactions to names are like an early warning system of ways in which baby might be bullied.
Not that this applies to OP's case of course. Arianna is very pretty and a perfectly acceptable name. But for some of the more out there names, I think it's good to hear people's associations before baby is here. People shouldn't judge anyone based on their name or bully them for it but the fact is they do. So finding this out before LO gets here would probably make me rethink if it came from a lot of different people.

We are pronouncing it Ar-ee-ah-na. I absolutely love the name.

I love it! I love all pronounciations but the "air" for the first syllable is because we will call her "Ari" for short. :)

We have great taste in names! ;)

It's a beautiful name. When I told people I was having a girl their first reaction was to ask if we've thought of a name yet. Then they asked if I was going to tell and I was kind of surprised. I guess it's b/c so many people are rude and give their own opinions of what they think that I would be better off not saying anything so that they don't upset me. People are weird!

Don't listen to people! Sick of hearing about everyone' negative comments regarding their baby.

This is why I would never announce the name before having the baby. People are less inclined to make comments when they know it can't be changed.

This is why we never share names. Learnt that lesson with my first and we hadn't even picked one - it was just every suggestion we made people would screw up their noses and we got sick of it. Now it's a secret until baby arrives. People are a lot less likely to comment in a negative way when there is a child attached to the name, rather than a bump.

When we were thinking up names for our boy, I liked the name 'Leonard'.

I told someone and they said "Eurgh that's disgusting"

I then said we would shorten it to Leo for short and was told I can't do that, it has to be shortened to 'Len' because you always shorten to the first 3 letters.

Well the first 3 letters are LEO you idiot!! Argh!

He's called Alfie now anyway so it doesn't matter lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->