People who make things to sell

Jaysmummy

Mum of 3 and WTT
Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a few bits to sell, mainly on facebook.

Question is are there any strict guidelines you have to follow? Safety wise?

I'm thinking baby headbands, tutus, felt food, customised converse etc

Xx

Stalking because I was wondering the same thing :) I think it would be so fun to do! x

Me too!

I've found sooooo many cute things! The felt food looks really simple to make too.

I've also posted this in GC too so hopefully someone will know

Xx

I see a lot of people on FB making and selling things and it seems to be going well for them so i've been thinking about it for a while :haha:
Hopefully someone does have an answer!
I'm going to look for simple things to make now :D haha

If you have a look online for regulations, sadly you will have to pass standards of thing like flammable and toxicity. There are some kind if short cuts, things like not suitable for under 36 months, not use as a toy for decorative purposes only etc. however I know if I was buying something, home made or not, I would want my child safe ( as I'm sure you would too!). You can self certify (from what I read), but its time consuming and every item you sell that is different needs a test.

Google 'selling crafts online, health and safety'. I would also look at some kind of insurance as, if something, god forbid, did happen you could be sued, and insurance will cover this.

Hmmm sounds a bit boggling!!

The thing that gets me is you see so many of these things, dummy clips for example and in pretty sure most if these don't comply!

I just don't want to take any shortcuts or risk anything :nope:

You know what they probably don't and the likelihood of anything happening is probably rare. But, it's. the big but, what if it did.

Apart from toxic and flammable stuffs, I have seen people sell many goods on facebook. I am not very sure whether there are limits and legalities involved. Making inquiries and research on the same could be a better option.

I am currently selling paintings on Etsy and it is really simply. I haven't sold anything baby wise but you should definitely check it out. I am wtt. I graduate in May but would love to stay at home. I am a bit nervous about that though.

Hi,

I sell on ebay, Etsy and facebook and also work for Trading Standards so may be able to help. If you were to sell something and it was found to be unsafe, Trading Standards would investigate to see what your safety warnings were, whether that item should have been CE marked (headbands wouldn't have to be) and whether you had taken all reasonable steps to ensure an item was safe. There's a business advice sheet explaining it all in more depth here:

https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/envir...FC50381D459CC093&frmItemID=280597&frmShared=1

To sell online as a business you'd also need to comply with the distance selling regulations, the e commerce regs and the sale of goods act. These cover the customers right to return goods for a full refund within 7 days of receiving the item, the information you need to supply to your customers (trading name, address) and that a customer can return an item for a full refund, repair or replacement at no cost to themselves if the item is faulty or misdescribed. Another advice sheet here:

https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/envir...FC2642285024F77F&frmItemID=181433&frmShared=1

It's really not as complicated as it seems but there is obviously a lot of legislation surrounding businesses.

Personally I've found ebay best for selling in the uk, etsy is more american buyers although i've had some in the uk and the fees are cheaper, facebook will be mostly your friends (in my experience - but i'm not very good at promoting my facebook page!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->