Perineal Massage?

RandaPanda

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

Just wondering if any of you are doing perineal massage or have done it in the past. And if you have done it, did it actually help you avoid a tear or episiotomy?

I don't really want to do it, but I would if it would help me in labour. Some sites suggest having your OH do it, but I'm not sure I want that either...

We tried it for the first time last night. It's not glamorous and took some practice but hey, if it helps I'm game!!! Used almond oil as that's meant to be good.

With my DD I had an episiotomy and 4th degree tear so I reallllly didn't want to have to deal with that again. So I requested my midwife to do this during labor. His head was actually bigger than hers even though he weighed less and not one single tear. It made a world of difference. I'll be requesting it once again!!

I tried it once or twice when pregnant with my first but really didn't like it, found it quite a weird and uncomfortable feeling so I didn't bother doing It again.

I did have a very small tear when I gave birth, but it wasn't on the perineum it was upwards into the labia.

I've been doing it to myself. It's awkward and uncomfortable and sometimes I don't know if I'm doing it right. But I keep trying in the hope that it will help prevent tearing as I really don't want that!

I can only do it one-handed (one-thumbed!) to myself though, so don't know if it will be as effective.

Studies have shown it's more effective if it's only done during labor. Even going so far as to say if you practice it during the weeks leading up to it can have the opposite effect (not sure how that works but that's why I'll leave it up to my team to handle).

My delivering docs did it throughout my first two labors 10 and 11 years ago and I didn't tear or need an episiotomy. I discussed it with my current OB and as long as I'm set for a vaginal delivery this go round he'll be doing it as well.

I definitely think it works :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->