Period talk with young girls?

Mummyxofx2

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 9 and a half year old. She is overweight by about 10 kgs. She weighs 49kg and 145cms tall. Doesn't eat junk very active been tested for lots and the I ly thing that came back was she has unexplained high cholesterol for her age ( not real bad) but they dont understand why as her good cholesterol is really really good also. Anyways I think she is going to be an early starter with her period. The last few months I have noticed when I'm die for mine she also gets my symptoms. Headaches, cold/hot, just yucky feeling and sleeps more which goes away the day after I get my period. I have no idea how to talk to her or what to say. I really need some advice.

Is she aware of your periods or is that something that's never come up?
My 7 year old son has a basic knowledge of periods because he's seen me change my pads etc so has asked what it's about.

If your daughter is aware of yours then I'd maybe bring it up when you next have a period and say something like 'mummy doesn't feel good today because of her period' use that as a starting point and lead into the fact that she's getting older and she may soon start with hers etc.

If your daughter isn't aware of yours then I'm bit sure how to bring it up in a way that will be comfortable for her.

Try this or you can google for more suggestions:
https://m.kidshealth.org/parent/positive/talk/talk_about_menstruation.html

I think staying factual and open, don't give in to embarrassment, is the best approach.

The usbourne books is good. Btw my 8yr old is always showing signs when I have mine too. She is no way ready for a period but she gets stomach and stress. Crazy how we sync isnt it.

Usbourne- whats happening to m for girls. Good book x

I would be open with her about it, and make sure she knows what it is, and what it will look like when it happens. My sister was an early starter, and my mom hadn't brought it up yet thinking we were both too young to need to worry about that yet. Since it hadn't been brought up, my sister thought she pooped her pants and was afraid to tell anyone that it kept happening until a few days into her first period. She was really embarrassed and horrified that she didn't know what was happening to her. So, having that in mind, make sure your daughter knows what it is, and what happens so she isn't taken by surprise if she does in fact start early.

Like mentioned- just stick to the facts (age appropriate) and don't make a big deal. If you are comfy with it- then she will be too. My oldest already knew what a period was a 9yrs- and by 10 she was hoping she'd start! (right?!)- probably cause most of her friends started early- and she was a bit later (not till she was 13). But we'd already discussed other topics- and she was always very inquisitive, so that was my opportunity to open up a conversation. If your daughter doesn't ask a lot of questions (mine was relentless! lol)- then, when your starting to PMS (feeling icky) just use that as the opportunity to discuss it all with her. Ask if she has questions as to why you feel this way monthly and go from there.

I wasn't as inquisitive as a child- so my Mom had to bring up these discussions (seriously though- she had books! and I knew was sex was early on). I'm not sure how my LO will be- but I'll be just as open with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->