periods still not returned

smurff

Mummy to Emily and Harry
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i wrote on hear a while ago as i was worried because my periods had not returned yet, i spoke to my doc who told me they should return by 12 weeks, well its almost 12 weeks now and still no sign of them. I know they can take a while to start if your breast feeding but im not im bottle feeding, i did breast feed for the first 3 days but then went straight to bottle. Doc is no help she just keeps saying they should start by 12 weeks, plus i have alot of clear discharge coming out, i can actually feel it comming out as i walk, sorry tmi, i think in the back of my mind im extra worried cause i know someone who was on the injection contriceptive and her periods stopped and when she came off it they didnt return, that was 3 years ago and they are still trying for a baby but nothing is working for them and im worried that will happen to me and i so want a brother or sister for my dd. Please is there anyone whos periods took longer than 12 weeks to re start :cry:

Hi hun, my second baby is 12 weeks and mine still haven't returned (not worried though as he was my last baby i think)
After my first baby they didn't start until 11 weeks.

Try not to worry, your body has been through alot and 12 weeks is still quite early x

While I did breastfeed, my cycle did not start again until 11 and 15 months after giving birth to my sons.
Everyone is different and there is a huge variation in this. Try not to worry too much! :hugs:

I breastfed for 18 months so my situation doesn't compare. However, although I have no medical training, I would strongly disagree with anyone who says that your periods should start again within a certain time after giving birth. The fact is that there is no rule about this and AFAIK nobody has ever done any sort of study into it. Some people are going to start fairly soon and others will take a lot longer. Everyone is different.

Sorry but I just get annoyed when I hear that doctors are giving hard and fast rules for things like that, it's just nonsense. Try not to worry, and give it some more time.

I agree with Adela Q.
The more I think about it, the more I wonder where that 12 weeks "deadline" came from. I don't think I've ever read that as more than just a sort of average.
My other suggestion? If your doctor is going to get you all stressed out and anxious over this, then should should she maybe not suggest a course of action? If she is so adamant that your period should be back by now and it is not, then what's her next step? Is there something she thinks she should be testing for? Why get you all anxious, then just let you stew in it with no advice or action to address the anxiety? That's not cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->