Periods stopped because I'm overweight?

gaby

Married, but not ttc
Reaction score
Have you guys ever heard of people's periods stopping because they're overweight?

In case you don't remember me (hey, haven't been on in months ^^;), I came off the pill 9th dec '06, had the usual fake pill period, then didn't have another until early feb, then none since.

I saw a consultant in september, who (after I told them I put on a lot of weight in the past year) said it was "most likely" because of my weight and didnt do ANY tests. I said my previous blood tests had shown I have low progesterone and she said that was just because I'm not ovulating (which makes sense, i'm not saying that that's wrong)

So I left the appointment really upset, but I haven't really had a chance to think about it since then because I started uni (yup, haven't dropped out yet either :D ) and i've been so busy (hey, i got a part time job too coding websites ^_^ trainee, full tiem when i leave uni (i think) )

So anyway...

I've been thinking lately... How the heck could she know my weight was related? The fact is, the pill was masking the fact I had this problem, so I don't know when it started. The weight I put on could be a sympton not the cause.

Luckilly my weight increase seems to have stopped. I need to lose some weight, regardless of the fact it could make my periods start again, but I'm so busy with uni, I hardly have time to cook in the evenings let alone exercise -_- But i never used to exercise anyway, just walking the to bus stop for school.

Gah. I guess I just needed to put down my thoughts.

So, has anyone heard of being fat stopping periods, and if so, advice for losing weight?

I really appreciate any replies I get. Sorry if it takes me a while to reply back

ive heard of periods being stopped if u are underweight but never overweight not really sure what to say hun can u get a 2nd opinion?

possibly. I've moved so i'm supposed to be changing to a new doctor (takes me ages to get round to things, lol). There's a university health centre. If i register with them they'd probably be more helpful.

but wont they get annoyed i'm asking them the same thing?

Not sure on actually stopping periods, i think it is possible.

I do know weight can affect your cycles.
I used to have irregular 32+ day cycles but now since ive lost weight im having 27day cycles.

Your period will stop if your too overweight for your body. Mine did for almost 2 years. I lost 50 lbs then my periods started again and now Im pregnant. The doctor told me that if you become too obese the fat can effect the ovaries.

Ok, guess I better really start trying to lose weight. But I think I'll try to get a 2nd opinion too. I'm only just in the overweight section (saw the consultant checking the height-weight graph, i'm lonly just over the line, 91kg, 5'9.5")

I've heard of people not having periods cause they're overweight, but that lass was like a size 36.....

Mmm, so that's the thing, most things I've heard / read say obesisty can be a cause, but I'm certainly not classed as medically obese.

I also read that a symptom of PCOS is rapid weight gain. My doctor ruled that out though because my periods were regular before I went on the pill. Is PCOS something you always have or something that can develop at some point?

I read somewhere that high testosterone levels could cause something related to a lack of periods too, can't remember if that was PCOS or not. My doctor said (i think, a while ago now) that I have (had) slightly higher testosterone levels that normal.

Maybe I should stop reading things -_- I got really depressed the other night because of my weight & missing periods, and also because my eyes hurt all the time. :(

My period stopped when I was 19 because I was only 5'2" and 190lbs. So it can happen. I lost alot of it and they started up again normally. At the time I was given some sort of hormone pill to force a period.

Thats how I started y pierods also, with a 10 day hormone pill. I think everyone is different, and even though you might not be super obese, its how your body handles it?

Yeah, I guess. I've always been large, just not quite this large :(

I have PCOS, i am over weight too (size 18/20). it hasnt stopped my peroids but it does lenghen my cycles, and after my misscarriage last year they went mental and i didnt ovulate for 8 months.

The docs recomend to lose weight if you have PCOS to help with getting pregnant, but one of the symptoms of PCOS is weight gain, so its a hard cycle to break.

My sister has it worse than me, she is more over weight than i am too (size 24ish) and it took her a few years to catch, she had to lose some weight in order to do it.

Sorry if i have missed it somehwere but have you been tested for PCOS?

x

Thanks for the reply Layla. No, I haven't been tested for anything except 1 blood test that only told the doctor what i already knew - that i'm not ovulating. I think he did say that my testosterone was slightly higer than it should be, which I think can be caused by PCOS cant it?

I have decided to start trying to lose weight. Rubbish time of year to decide that tho, lol. We just got a Wii, which apparently is good exercise is you do the fitness on wii sports (i know a walk'd be better, just it's so cold right now, lol) I'm walking half way home from uni each day (well, when term starts up again) which is quite far. Don't like to walk alone the rest of the way, plus it's too far really. Takes nearly 30mins for the bit I do walk. Could just be me being slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->