• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

pesto?

babyv13

Reaction score
I love pesto and want to give it to my LO but I'm unsure whether the jarred stuff is suitable for her? is it too salty? I'm interested to know what pesto others give, or whether they make home made?

TIA :flow:

Pesto is a great idea! We haven't tried it yet but I would use homemade. The jarred stuff is very salty and also has preservatives. You could make variations using different greens. Checkout pinterest for ideas.

thanks prettyunicorn, that's what I was thinking but I was still hoping that there was some low salt pesto out there somewhere :haha: I didnt think of trying Pinterest for ideas, thanks for the excellent suggestion! :)

I would say jarred pesto is fine. It is a little on the salty side, but as long as you use it sparingly and not every day, it's totally fine. If you like making your own, great, but I wouldn't go out of your way.

I make my own. The jarred stuff is really salty. All the weaning books I have advise not to use the jars. It's really easy to make too.

I have always made my own pesto as I don't like pine nuts, so I make mine with cashews and little Parmesan! Delish.

My LO would only have 1tsp mixed with her pasta and veggies so I wouldn't be concerned with the sodium levels at all.

We use jars, looking for those with lower salt levels. I always dilute it down with soft cheese for oldest and olive oil or pure spread, who has problems with obvious cow dairy for my 10 month old.

Cheesy pasta peas, pasta spirals, peas, pesto and cheese is a favourite in our house and we have it atleast once a week.

We also like roasted pepper pesto, no so salty as dried tomato pesto and is great mixed in with some cold sausage, cherry tomatoes and goats cheese. Little and not very often is how we incorporate it

I use the Tescos one, it's only a fine coating:)

Tried making my own, she looked at me like I was trying to poison her haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->