Pet

twinklestar25

Reaction score
I know it's quite frowned upon to get a pet for Christmas (or so it seems in general) but I'm thinking of getting my boys a kitten, we've wanted a dog for a long time and come close a few times to getting one, but they are so expensive (at least £700 for a lab prob more plus everything else it needs) and the work and commitment involved, I'd love to think we would have one one day though, but hubby been miserable as usual and doesn't really want any Pet!
So thinking a cat (never thought I'd have a cat but looked after one a couple of nights after one turned up on our door recently (had a home already and went back, he was poorly :-(. ) it's sparked an interest in the kids and me actually!) they are so much less work than a dog and therefore easy for me to take care of an not expect hubby too and might be a good starting point for the kids. I'm sure hubby will soon take an interest when he sees it!
So where do I get one from! And be able to collect it Christmas Eve, is it even going to be possible!? Any one any experience? Would prob go for a kitten.

I over heard my youngest pleading with santa (motion detector in corner of room!) the other day for a pet! Melted my heart.

I would always say to rescue an animal - there are more than enough animals crying out for loving homes and I am really against breeders, but that’s just my opinion. So I would recommend looking up animal rescue shelters and seeing what they have available - it is normally older cats but they need homes just as much and are easier as they’re house trained! It’s unlikely they’d let you wait to Christmas Eve to pick it up though.

I would definitely go for a rescue as well. Kittens are very cute but after a few months you will have a cat anyway.
Christmas eve would be a really bad time to introduce an animal like a cat, they would be really stressed out and need a calm and peaceful atmosphere for the first week or so.

Could you look into getting one and give the children ‘clues’for Christmas so cat toys, feeding bowl, litter tray - I’m sure they’d love that!- for Christmas presents and then arrange to pick the cat up in a couple of days so the whole excitement of Christmas itself might have died down a bit

Either I've had Deja vu, or somebody has posted this before?

Cats are less dependent than dogs, it's mostly dogs which get rehomed a few weeks after dogs because they're like looking after a child.

Look on facebook for any litters due. Put a deposit down to save until a later date or have somebody else look after it until xmas eve?

Dont introduce a cat to your home christmas eve, that would be horrible for the poor thing. You could buy its belongings(cat bed, collar etc) for christmas with a promise of picking/collecting a cat after christmas.

I had planned on a pet for Christmas too, a dog, then decided on a kitten bc I'm a cat person (already own a cat) and cats are so easy, but dd really wanted a dog. After thinking on it for a while, I decided Christmas isn't the best time because of all the excitement going on and visiting and such. Just so much to do. If you are set on Christmas, you could check out the shelters and rescues and craigslist. I don't think you'd manage to get it Christmas Eve, but do have a family member who would hold it for you? My daughter's preschool teacher got her girls a kitten last year for Christmas. She hid it for 2 weeks in her master bath, playing with it when kids were in bed or at school. I don't know how she managed though.

Side note: I ended up getting daughter a puppy 3 days ago LOL One that I really wanted just happened to be available. I'm so glad I got it now and not during the holidays, just because it's been so much work. Not just the puppy, but training daughter how to treat and take care of it too. And daughter has been so excited that hasn't wanted to leave it, even for a birthday party today. The newness will wear off and it will be easier. But that's what comes to mind when I think about a pet at Christmas. Christmas is already so overwhelming and full as it is. Good luck. I'm sure you'll all love a little kitten!

Oh and as someone mentioned you could get al the cat stuff for Christmas and pick up the cat later. That is, if it would work for your kids. I briefly thought about that because I think it's a good idea, but then I thought about the reality with my daughter and it wouldn't have worked out for us. She would have whined and pleaded with me to go get the cat all day long...I know her! LOL But if it would work with yours, then it's a fantastic compromise.

I really don’t think giving it to someone to look after until Xmas eve is a good idea - rehoming an animal is really stressful for them, and for them to go through it twice would be really unfair

Thanks all great ideas, stil unsire as to what to do for now, will think about it some more

Definitely look into rescue shelters near your home, I know the one closest to us ALWAYS has tons of kittens (and puppies) so you can still get the fun/cute experience of a baby animal while still rescuing rather than buying.

Whether to give it on Christmas Eve or later would greatly depend on what you’re doing the next day... if you’re leaving all day for festivities somewhere else or if you’re having a bunch of people over then I’d wait until the day after Christmas. If you’re having a chill day at home with just your family then I don’t see the issue with introducing it on Christmas Eve.

I think a pet for Christmas is a fine idea, I got a puppy for Christmas when I was 10 and she was definitely the best gift I ever got, I love looking back at pictures of us holding her next to the Christmas tree.

There are usually alot of kittens at a rescue this time of year.

We got our boy in January 10 years ago now! For £60 he was fully wormed, flea'd and neutered.
Took him five days to settle in but we had no children then.
I would call a rescue before hand, explain your home environment and they will let you know if any of their furries are suitable.
As for Christmas itself, how about a gift box as one main present with food bowl, collar, treats etc.

I agree with the others about not rescuing at Christmas, most rescue places won't let you adopt around Christmas as it's not fair on them really.

Call around shelters and gauge an interest, they often have kittens available that they don't often post on the website as they don't want the older cats to be overshadowed by the constant flow of kittens!

We rescued ours 2 years ago in October and he's the greatest wee thing, so easy to care for and super fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->