Petite Ladies & Successful Labour

dacosta

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just dropping in to ask a question.

With my first LO I had a lengthy labour which ended in a c-section. The consultant said it was due to LO 'looking up' which I guess means she had her chin out and not in. I was induced, due to waters going in early labour and LO not being engaged. I found it all quite traumatic.

Anyway, with a second on the way I can't help but wonder if my size has anything to do with it.

I'm 5'1" and size 8 (before pregnancy) and lots of people had said to me - 'oh you're small, I always thought you'd have a section.'

I asked the consultant and he said it's nothing to do with my size; but I'd like to hear from petite ladies that have had successful deliveries just really so I can hold out some hope that I might be able to have a VBAC this time.

Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

My friend is 5'1" size 6 (so petite) & had 2 successful vaginal deliveries. She had 2 big boys above 8 lbs with no problems.

I'm 5'2.5" size 8 (with narrow hips) & my birth experience was similar to yours (water broke on due date with no contractions, induced 3 times with no contractions or dilation, LO was stuck & not engaged so ended up with Emergency CS). I'm going for elective next time as I was told that I dont have good chances for a VBAC as I have very narrow hips.

I'm 5'2 and a uk size 6 pre-pregnancy...i gave birth naturally to my little boy 8 weeks ago,

I had a 35 hour labour and he weighed 7lb, and i also suffered with bad spd throughout my pregnancy but aside from tearing and the labour being verrrrry long it all went well!!

Your body is made to carry a child and designed to give birth, i dont see why your size should be too much of an issue!! xxx

i am 4ft11 and was a size 6/8 before pregnancy (not so petite nowadays though) i was in labour 20 hours with 2 and a half hours pushing, apart from a nasty tear i managed fine

For dd2 I was a size 8 and am 5'2". She was born naturally (just a couple of stitches from a small tear) and weighed 6lb14oz (apparently that's about average for someone my size??)
I had a EMCS with dd1 though.
So its possible to have a VBAC, maybe you should talk to the MW about your concerns.

Im 5ft 1", back to a size 6 and had my boy vaginally with no issues other than a tear.
I was in labour 24hrs and he wieghed 7lbs 5.5 oz :cloud9:

Im 5ft 1 and size 16/18. I had a natural quick labour.

My cousin is 5ft size 4/6 and has had 2 quick natural labours.

I certainly dont believe size stops (the majority) of women delivering naturally x

I'm 5 ft and a size 6/8 pre-pregnancy. I've had two normal vaginal births and only pushed for 10 minutes each time. :)

I was a size 8 before pregnancy .. I had a normal vaginal birth (well I had to have ventouse but that was because LO was getting stressed)
Lily was 7lb2oz at birth.

Oh and a friend is only a size 4/6 (really tiny) and she has a normal birth with her son and he was 8lb! Soo, I can't see why you can't have a normal delivery!

thanks all - it certainly sounds promising.

I'm 4'10 & despite being told during pregnancy that they expected me to need a c-section due to my size I had a 3hr 20 established labour with only gas & air and Emily was 7lb x

I knwo two petite ladies who've had VBACs so I would encourage you to stay positive x

Hi all,

Just dropping in to ask a question.

With my first LO I had a lengthy labour which ended in a c-section. The consultant said it was due to LO 'looking up' which I guess means she had her chin out and not in. I was induced, due to waters going in early labour and LO not being engaged. I found it all quite traumatic.

Anyway, with a second on the way I can't help but wonder if my size has anything to do with it.

I'm 5'1" and size 8 (before pregnancy) and lots of people had said to me - 'oh you're small, I always thought you'd have a section.'

I asked the consultant and he said it's nothing to do with my size; but I'd like to hear from petite ladies that have had successful deliveries just really so I can hold out some hope that I might be able to have a VBAC this time.

Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Hi - I have some good news for you! I'm 36 years old, 5'1 and was a size 6 before pregnancy. I had my first baby 12 weeks ago.

My contractions started at 3.30am and continued for 12 hours at which point we went into hospital. Ethan was born in the water at 9.40pm that night with no assistance (i.e ventouse etc) and I just had gas & air - no other pain relief. I had no stitches, just a small graze on inner labia and a small second degree tear inside me which they left as it was nothing to worry about.

Obviously every birth is different and sometimes unforeseen things happen, but IMO you have nothing to worry about. Just push when they tell you to, suck that gas and air as efficiently as you can and if they tell you not to push, DON'T! It's the hardest thing - it's like someone telling you not to take a breath in when you have been holding your breath for ages - but you CAN do it, and it can be the difference between major tearing or needing to be cut.

Good luck - maybe let us know how it went when the time comes? :hugs:

Vee
xxxx

I'm 5'2'' and size 0-2 and I've had 2 children, both vaginal. First baby was 27 hours and 7 lbs 13 oz. Second baby was 25 hours and 8 lbs.

My friend is 5'1" size 6 (so petite) & had 2 successful vaginal deliveries. She had 2 big boys above 8 lbs with no problems.

I'm 5'2.5" size 8 (with narrow hips) & my birth experience was similar to yours (water broke on due date with no contractions, induced 3 times with no contractions or dilation, LO was stuck & not engaged so ended up with Emergency CS). I'm going for elective next time as I was told that I dont have good chances for a VBAC as I have very narrow hips.

same as you I'm afraid. 4'10" size 10, at the time. ended up in c section. absolutely refused to have vbac this time as it was so traumatic for me 16 years ago, remember every minute. Consultant said no problem, I'm booked in for 27 July - happy days:happydance:

My MIL is 5ft and was 98lbs pregnant with my DH(very petite), had a successful and easy labor and birth with him. Previously, she had a 7lb 2 oz boy, natural vaginal birth. Then twins, both almost 6 lbs, natural vaginal birth.

hiyaa just wanted to say, my nan is 4''10 maybe a bit smaller, nd she hasnt got a size shes in kids clothes lol, but shes had 2 kids naturally and twins naturally :)

I'm very small and slim and my daughter was facing up aswell I was 9.5 cm and wheeled in for a EMCS then they were able to deliver her vaginally with a rotational vontouse so they turned her around for me and I pushed

I am 5ft 1" and size 8 pre-pregnancy, and I went into labour naturally but end up having emcs because I am getting distressed and they dont want the baby to get distressed. So I am expecting another boy and very wanting to do VBAC and my consultant is happy with it. Those women on here have give me hopes as well. :) Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->