Petting zoo while pregnant...

B

babydust1990

I'm going to the zoo for my birthday next weekend and someones just told me I can't pet any animals in the petting zoo part because I'm pregnant? No ones ever mentioned this to me before? It's my fave part so now I'm dissapointed :( (yes I know I'm a big kid :haha:)

If it were me I wouldn't pet them to be on the safe side... Although they are probably all clean animals... There is still always the risk of picking up bugs from them... Maybe you could take some of that hospital sanitizer gel in a little bottle with you... I'm sure if you only hold them a little while and then clean ur hands with the gel right away it would eliminate the germs... Although bare in mind it can still carry on clothing etc.

Not sure what animals have a risk of toxoplasmosis from faeces... But I'm sure it's not just cats and dogs

I'm always around cats/dogs/lizards/birds/pigs/horses ect... I've never thought twice about fussing them! I just always make sure I wash my hands after or use my hand gel...

I'm always around cats/dogs/lizards/birds/pigs/horses ect... I've never thought twice about fussing them! I just always make sure I wash my hands after or use my hand gel...

I can't see why you'd have issues then... If ur already around them there's no point worryin :)

That's what I thought! Someone put it on my status about me not going in the petting zoo n I was like wha? haha

That's what I thought! Someone put it on my status about me not going in the petting zoo n I was like wha? haha

Meh ignore em... It's common sense really... Just go with ur instinct... Wash ur hands etc and HAVE FUN!! I'm planning on going to monkey world in summer lol

Just wash your hands, keep sanitizer on you, and don't touch your face/mouth/lips.

Have fun!!! :D

If they have lambs there, stay well away from them
Lambs and sheep carry lieteriosis chlamydiosis and toxoplasmosis - all of which can cause miscarriage.
https://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2011/02/14/advice-to-pregnant-women-during-the-lambing-season/

I'm also from Leicestershire! :flower:

I was at a farm park last weekend for my Nephew's Birthday, and there were signs up around the park - advising pregnant women not to touch the animals, and to make sure to sanitise hands on the way out too. I think it's the risk of toxoplasmosis xx

There's normally a sign up next to certain animals eg lambs and sheep that warn pregnant women not to stroke them. I'm pretty sure the rest are fine as long as your keep washing your hands x

My guess is these animals are under the care or a vet and kept clean and healthy. If small children started getting sick from petting zoos, people would be getting sued left and right. Obviously, washing your hands and not touching your face/mouth is common sense.

I took DD into the petting zoo at the rodeo back in February and never thought twice about it. It was very clean, as there were employees walking around picking up poop the minute it happened and constantly laying out fresh hay.

um... ive been to one dont see a problem just wash hands properly like usual x

i once saw a pregnant zoo worker lady on tv her baby was fine

just take some handsanitizer gel which they have at twycross zoo anyway dont know were you going like but still lol you can buy it from poundshop and make sure that you wash your hands aswell before you eat drink before and after toilet dont put fingers near mouth etc etc etc

there is nothing that can specifically happen to baby it would just be if you contracted anything nasty it could effect baby but in this day and age how many people do you hear of get toxoplasmosis or anythign from a zoo... not very often

youll be fine hun you enjoy yourself just have good hand hygiene :)

I'm going Colchester zoo :haha: I live 10 mins away from Twycross so always go there :p

takes me an hour to get ot twycross down m1 then on som eother road not sure which one lol
never been to colchester one :-/
i love the zoo :)

Yeah, up the M1, get off at appleby island and down atherstone rd :p It's weird knowing people on b&b have been that near my house haha! I've never been Colchester either but it looks really good!

i know there are loads of people on hear live in the same county as me :) i met one of my good frids through bnb in third trimester when i was pregs last time lol i meet her regular :)

It is a really good place for support! I always wonder if there's anyone I actually know on here haha!

I only live 15 minutes away from Twycross zoo too - it's a small world!xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->