PG and BFing!

TigerLady

CaveTiger Clan Mama
Reaction score
I started a thread about being pg and bfing in the bfing section. Someone suggested we start a group as there is a few of us. I thought that an excellent idea!

I just found out I am pg this morning. It was an oops... but I knew it was totally possible as the oops happened when I knew I was about to ovulate. :haha:

A bit earlier than ideal, but oh well!

My biggest fear right now is being pg interferring with nursing Otter. He is only 5.5 months old and I want to self wean him.

So, what has everyone else experienced?

I'd be interested to know if you noticed any changes in LOs nappies when you got pg?? I've been battling Otter with pooing the last few weeks -- he suddenly stopped going every day. :confused: Now he has been saving it up, getting really gassy, and then having several massive blowouts after waiting so long.

I thought it might be related to starting BLWing -- but I now realize it corresponds EXACTLY with when I concieved!! :shock:

Hi
Well I've already told you my 'story' in the breastfeeding section but....

I am nearly 12 weeks pg and am still breastfeeding Poppy about 3 times a day and she's almost 16 months.

Other than sore nipples, haven't noticed any changes in Poppy's feeding (or her pooing!) since being pg. So far everything is normal other than that she has dropped her night feeds (hooray!) but don't think that's linked.

Hope the other bf/pg ladies out there come and join us. Be nice to share experiences xx

Thank you! Yes, it will!

I think it is great you are still nursing her. Will you tandem feed if she hasn't self weaned by the time the new one is here?

I guess so although I must be honest I am hoping she will self wean. In theory it sounds ok but am not sure how I will cope in practice!!

That is a good point. I was just thinking about the hospital... being in bed after surgery (I will have to have another section) and needing to nurse both a newborn and a toddler! :wacko:

Can I join please? William is 8 months now and I am about 8 weeks pregnant I think (just waiting for a scan to confirm dates). William is currently just night feeding as I have just gone back to work and so far there have been no problems feeding other than incredibly sore nipples but hopefully that will stop soon.

Oh, yes! Please do!! :happydance: Glad to have you! :)

Congrats on the new pg!

Just curious -- What is William doing for feeds during the day? Do you plan on trying to wean him before the next one arrives or will you tandem nurse?

So far the only problem I think I am having is Otter's cold. He isn't eating as well, but I think that is more down to his cold than any changes in me or the milk. At least I hope that is true!

I have a confession -- I have been looking into tandem nursing more and I almost hope that Otter self weans now. It seems a bit... odd... to me, I think. Especially when I see pics of a toddler and a new born nursing at the same time! :blush:

Maybe it won't seem so odd by the time Meerkat gets here, though. :shrug: Ugg, I am so conflicted about it! :wacko: I really want to do what is best for Otter... but I think I have some latent cultural "weirdness" about nursing a toddler that can walk and talk?? I didn't think I did, but maybe I do! Hopefully I will get over it.

Ha ha, I understand. I think I am just in denial about it all and at the back of my mind just think Poppy will have self weaned by then. But the chances are she won't and then I'm in trouble!! She was feeding a lot yesterday afternoon when I was with some other mums and one said when the baby comes 'it'll be like having twins.' Err yeah, great :D

Is poppy talking well enough yet to be able to verbally ask for it?

Not really. She can say some things but doesn't ask for milk although she can do the milk sign. Usually she comes up to me and sticks her hand down my top, gives me no doubt about what it is she wants :D

:rofl: That is funny!

Even at only 5.5 months Otter makes it clear what he wants... he'll stare at my bbs, pull at my shirt over them, and even slap at them when he gets really impatient. :rofl:

Please please! Welcome! :yipee:

Congrats on the new one! How often is Olivia still feeding?

My nipples really started hurting last night when Otter nursed. Ouch. I don't know if it is from pg or from going sans bra all day yesterday. Ooops. haha!

Shes very much a boobie monster still even though she is a proper scofter with her food (we are BLW too!) She will usually go about every 2 hours in the day...sometimes stretching to 3 if shes distracted or asleep! I'm very lucky though, because recently she has been sleeping through the night, or at least not needing the boob to get back to sleep! I don't know how I taught her to self settle, but she seems to have worked out that she just needs to find her thumb and off she drifts to sleep again! At least my bubbies get a good long 12 hour break at night!!!

Have you found any negative reactions from people about 'still' feeding Otter? The midwife at my first scan seemed to want to discourage my from continuing, telling me that it could cause uterine contrations, and that my supply might just stop anyway so I might not be able to carry on. :shrug: Some of my friends that know about spud have said that it will be too much of a strain on my body and I should 'consider follow-on milk'. I have been justifying why im 'still' feeding her after 6 months anyway recently, and its only gotten worse now i'm preg!

No, no one has said too much yet. The lady at Otter's daycare said I would HAVE to stop a month before Meerkat is born as my body NEEDED that time to get ready for the new one. I didn't bother arguing with her that she was wrong.

I think most that would question it don't know about Meerkat yet. Or don't know I am still nursing Otter. My OB didn't even think to ask if I was still nursing. Maybe he will at our first scan appt...?

Either way I am not going to let anyone discourage me from it. I'm going to be stubborn on this one!

I am so envious that Olivia is sleeping through! When did she start? Did it just happen one night?

Otter is still waking every 3 hours to eat and has been for ages. I don't know how to get him to go longer... :? That is also why we still co-sleep.

I really hope I can get him to his own room by the time Meerkat is here. I don't know how I will manage 2 co-sleeping. Esp with a 1 yr old crawling all over the place with a newborn there. :shock: DH said we would manage, but I would rather not. :nope:

Zoe is just over 3 months old and I'm BF her. No period yet. How do I know when I'm ovulating? We BD last night and I missed a pill.....

No, no one has said too much yet. The lady at Otter's daycare said I would HAVE to stop a month before Meerkat is born as my body NEEDED that time to get ready for the new one. I didn't bother arguing with her that she was wrong.

I think most that would question it don't know about Meerkat yet. Or don't know I am still nursing Otter. My OB didn't even think to ask if I was still nursing. Maybe he will at our first scan appt...?

Either way I am not going to let anyone discourage me from it. I'm going to be stubborn on this one!

I am so envious that Olivia is sleeping through! When did she start? Did it just happen one night?

Otter is still waking every 3 hours to eat and has been for ages. I don't know how to get him to go longer... :? That is also why we still co-sleep.

I really hope I can get him to his own room by the time Meerkat is here. I don't know how I will manage 2 co-sleeping. Esp with a 1 yr old crawling all over the place with a newborn there. :shock: DH said we would manage, but I would rather not. :nope:

Morning hun! I totally agree with you about not letting anyone discourage me from doing it, what did they do back in caveman days for goodness sakes?? Oh, whoops I'm having another baby....I must now let the other one starve because I need a 'rest' before the second one?!?!? :shrug:

As far as the sleeping goes, I just decided that with me being so exhausted that I needed to do something about it because she would go down after her bath etc at about 7:30 and be awake again at 10! Then she would continue like this every 2-3 hours all night. I just tried once out of the blue to try and settle her rather than offering her the boob. And my god it worked! After that, for the first wake up only (after that I offered the boob) I settled her rather than feeding her and she was always off into a deep sleep within 20 or so minutes. Now that first wake just doesn't often happen any more, and if it does, she is quite easily settled.

I think I also put it down to the fact that she has been napping really well in the daytime. I don't really like routines, but I have been so tired with the pregnancy I have had to shedule myself a nap into the day somewhere, so we now have a co-sleeping nap (she sleeps in her cot at night in our room) at about 10:30am til about 12ish. I love snoozing in the big bed with her, and I need the sleep at the moment! Once I have got her off to sleep, I can sneak out of the bed and get some jobs round the house done....but a little sleep is far nicer :happydance:

Also, with the weaning, I think I'm just very lucky that she has chosen to allow the night time feeds to be dropped first, and I think it had correlated with her getting a lot more food down her.

I have my booking appointment today, but I'm dreading getting up there! It has snowed really bad here, and now its all a bit melty the pavements are like ice rinks!

Hope you and otter have a good day xxx

Zoe is just over 3 months old and I'm BF her. No period yet. How do I know when I'm ovulating? We BD last night and I missed a pill.....

Hun, I honestly dont think there is a surefire way to tell if you are ovulating. You probably should wait and test in a couple of weeks if you are worried or if AF doesnt come. xx

Wow. Hmm.. I think I am going to try to just settle him at some point. But I think I will wait a few more weeks until he is eating a bit more solids. Then give it a go and see what happens. I could really use a good night's sleep!! He is following the exact same pattern as Oliva -- down to bed at about 8-9 pm... then up at 1130 pm ish... then awake about every 3 hours after that.

So far I don't see a difference in his nursing despite the pg. I really hope that continues!

NWTTC -- If you are exclusively BFing and don't have AF yet, you probably aren't ovulating. I wasn't on BC and had gotten AF back regularly when LO was 14 weeks old. I charted my last cycle to see when I was ovulating and accidently got caught that cycle. Oops. :blush: But I was able to see a temp shift by charting, even though LO wakes regularly through the night to nurse. But, we co-sleep, so I don't actually get up when I feed him.

I'm really surprised I haven't gotten AF yet. Zoe is 16 weeks on Thursday and she sleeps all night, so no BF or pumping at night. I feed her in the morning, pump while I'm at work, and feed her while I'm home. Well, we'll see in a few weeks. I may join you guys, or I may lurk and watch your progress :)
Tigerlady, you've been one of the first people I talked to in B & B. Answered charting questions, ovulation questions, 2 WW questions. It's so neat to see you with Otter and now pregnant again. Congrats! And thanks for all your support :)

I thought I recognized your name!! :mrgreen:

BTW -- is anyone getting the Adventures in Tandem Nursing book? I keep meaning to, but haven't yet. I dunno why I am so undecided about it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->