pharmacy lady needs a slap! Little rant. Pretty pointless thread.

lilwelsh1

3 happy kids+2 angels
Reaction score
i'm probably just being a stark raving hormonal loonatic -well theres no probably about it lol i AM stewing over a stupid lady behind the counter in boots.

I have a wart on my index finger, its been growing for a few months yuk! Its finally finished flourishing so i popped into boots to ask for some wartner or bazuka sub-zero because my doctor said they dont freeze warts off anymore. :-( he gave me some ridiculous witch-doctor advice about putting duct tape on it. Pah! Next he'll tell me to rub a penny on it and bury that beneath a rubber tree. :wacko:

anyway i want the damn thing gone ASAP its gross and on my finger. The lady in the pharmacy noticed the bump n asked how pregnant i was, then she said ''u cant use wartner or bazuka sub-zero during pregnancy sorry.'' i simply looked at her like she'd grown a second head!! Is she kidding??? Its my finger im not going to eat the stuff or inject it! Im just freezing an unwelcome lurker FFS. She REFUSED to sell me the stuff, i felt like a 14 year old being declined the sale of cigarettes! I just stood there thinking surely she can only advise against it? Not decide its her responsibility to choose for me?! So i relented and said ''i'll wait til baby is born then, aint got long anyway.'' and she said ''well u CANT use it while breastfeeding either.'' aaaarrrgh!! I was going to knock her out! I just want to freeze off an effing wart! Its not like i was asking for illegal substances! I told her i hadnt decided IF i was breastfeeding yet and she had the cheek to gasp and look disgusted!! This isnt intended to start a FF/BF debate, just who is she to judge my decision? Or lack of decision? Or the fact i was just trying to get the last word :haha: as a pharmacist type person surely shes supposed to remain open minded and neutral about peoples decisions?!

Oh and if i WANT to apply wartner or sub-zero to my deformed hideous finger i bloody well will!! Cheeky cow! The husband is going to kindly get some since i cant get serve pmsl. If only shop keepers were that vigilant about selling underage kids fags n drink eh? Thanks if u read this pointless rant.

:shrug: She's just doing her job? She legally can't sell you things that are unsuitable. What if someone did happen to you or your baby cos you used it? You'd probably seek legal action.

I guess she was looking out for you but I'd have asked to readthe instructions where it says it's not suitable. And she had no right to make a judgemental face over how you choose to feed YOUR baby!

Sorry but I agree. If it's not safe in pregnancy then shed be completely irresponsible selling it to you or not pointing out that it's unsafe. If your husband buys it and you use it knowing that you're not meant to, at least that's your responsibilty and not hers. I'm sorry if this annoys you even more but I'd try the duct tape first and see if that helps. Or at least do some research/ask your doctor to find out WHY it's considered unsafe. You're quite right, you're not eating or injecting it, but it still might contain harmful substances that are absorbed through the skin. Or release harmful fumes. I understand the wart being annoying but I'd at least check, just to be on the safe side.

:shrug: She's just doing her job? She legally can't sell you things that are unsuitable. What if someone did happen to you or your baby cos you used it? You'd probably seek legal action.

I second this.

some things arent shown to be harmful in pregnancy through drugs trials, but the drugs companies still wont risk it because of being sued. i would have a quick look on the internet and see if there have been any adverse outcomes in pregnant women and if not, its up to you if you use it or not.

The pharmacist cant sell you anything that isnt recommended during pregnancy 'cause if anything happened to you they could get in alot of trouble. She was just doing her job. I understand why you are angry though, especially when she reacted the way she did to your breastfeeding indecision.
I use nasal spray whilst pregnant and have done since day 1... apparantly we arent meant to but its done no harm, didnt do anything to my second baby either and i used it whilst preg with her. Alot of things are just for precaution. Go ahead and use the wart stuff, im sure you will be fine. Warts are evil things!
X

Go to the Bazuka FAQ's page...i tried to copy you a link but apparently Bazuka is banned at work.... I can only see hald a sentance, but its looks as though it is safe to use during pregnancy.

although it does say you cant use wartner while pregnant or breastfeeding i still know how you feel!
we all need to vent and rant sometimes weather we are in the right/wrong, being reasonable/or unreasonable! :thumbup:

Enjoy your rant!!!

(i'm exactly the same lol! i'm pregnant and i'll be pissed off if i want! :haha:)

xxx

Just looked on the Wartner website and it states not to use in pregnancy.

But did find you this study, better get out the duck tape

Good luck xxx

Duct tape as a wart treatment is not alternative medicine.

Really. It's been studied a few times ... (emphasis mine):

Duct Tape More Effective than Cryotherapy for Warts - February 1, 2003 - American Family Physician (KARL E. MILLER, M.D.)

Focht DR III, et al. The efficacy of duct tape vs cryotherapy in the treatment of verruca vulgaris (the common wart). Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med October 2002;156:971-4.

Common warts (verruca vulgaris) are a common problem among patients who present in family physicians' offices. Although a significant number of warts will spontaneously resolve over two years, patients frequently request treatment to clear their skin of the lesions. Treatments such as cryotherapy, acid preparations, laser therapy, heat, and tape occlusion have been used in the management of warts, with cure rates ranging from 32 to 93 percent. However, most of these therapies are expensive, painful, or labor intensive. A few small, nonrandomized trials have studied the use of tape occlusion in wart treatment, with one study reporting cure rates of approximately 80 percent. Focht and associates compared the effectiveness of cryotherapy with duct tape applied to common warts.

The study was a prospective, randomized controlled trial with two treatment arms. Participants were patients three to 22 years of age who had viral warts and presented to a military clinic. Participants were randomized to receive cryotherapy or occlusive therapy with duct tape. Cryotherapy consisted of 10-second applications of liquid nitrogen to each wart every two to three weeks for a maximum of six treatments. The other group applied small pieces of duct tape to each wart. They were instructed to leave the tape in place for six days and were taught how to re-apply tape if it fell off. At the end of the sixth day, the patients removed the duct tape, soaked the wart in water, and gently debrided it with an emery board or pumice stone. The tape was left off overnight, then re-applied for another six days. This pattern was repeated for two months or until the wart resolved. Warts that did not resolve were measured. The main outcome measured was complete resolution of the wart.

In patients treated with duct tape, 85 percent of the warts completely resolved, compared with 60 percent in the cryotherapy group. These results were statistically significant. Resolution of warts treated with duct tape usually occurred within the first 28 days of therapy. If there was no response within the first two weeks, the warts were unlikely to respond to a longer course of therapy. The main adverse outcomes with duct-tape therapy were difficulty keeping the tape on the wart and minor skin irritation. The main adverse effect in the cryotherapy group was mild to severe pain at the freeze site during and after the treatment.

The authors conclude that duct tape occlusive therapy is more effective than cryotherapy in the treatment of common warts. They also state that duct tape therapy is less expensive and has fewer adverse effects than cryotherapy.

Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.

There are no known harmful effects when this medicine is used by pregnant or breastfeeding mothers.

Taken from netdoctor.

would you rgp not write a prescription for it for you then they cant refuse but you can see were the others are coming from i suppose if she sold it youand then something happened to baby then she would get blamed :-/
i know how frustarting it can be though it happened to me the other week i was in sooo much pain with hayfever and they wouldnt give me anything they just said sit in a steamy room i got sooo hormonal shouted thats easy foryou to say and stormed out loooool needlss to say i havent been back since as i feel a tad bit silly lol

and a bit o/t but OH sent me to shop other day for some fags for him and they wouldnt serve me hahahahahha they wanted my ID i was sooooo embarrased lol i was like im bloody 9 month pregnant i have my 5 year old hear with me how could i not possible be old enough lol

I have a home remedies book and this is what it says to get off the wart :-

put a piece of duct tape on the wart just big enough to cover it leave it on for 6 days when you take the tape off soak in water for a few mins then use an emery board or pumice stone to file down the thick dead skin leave it out over night if there is anywart left and repeat in the morning keep doing this till its gone.
It has been proven to work as the tape causes a mild skin irritation which causes you immune system to fight of the wart virus

another oneis to put fresh garlic on the area cover with a bandage reapply everyday for a week and the caustic effect of the garlic will cause the wart to blister and fall off

there are loads of other methods aswell but these have been proven to work the others are silly things like take a piece of bark and rub the wart and another is strap a bannana skint to it and stuff lol give the tape a try it says its proven to work just as effective as some chemicals :-/
good luck x

i didnt want to start a debate about whether i should use it or not. I would not seek legal action if i used it and something happened as someone said just then i was simply venting. The wart is about the same age as this pregnancy i've put up with it this long im sure 6 weeks wont hurt. Its just frustrating! And i was fine til the gasping at my lacj of decision on the BF-ing front. I've had kids before, i couldnt BF then so am unsure if i will be able to now.

I just hate contradictory stuff, i was told not to take co-codamol in pregnancy. At 9weeks gone i was prescribed co-codamol for the agony of pluracy by my doctor. My doctor was happy to freeze off my wart but they stopped funding the stuff so he couldnt do it. Duct tape is alternative its not developed by a pharmaceutical type company its for air ducts!

The whole freezing thing doesnt make sense to me scientifically. Im not an idiot, wart freezing stuff is basically a liquid nitrogen type substance which freezes so fast there is no way it can penetrate that deep that it'd enter the blood stream. Or it would freeze stuff in there too surely? :shrug: im just trying to add logic to this whole thing. I probably wouldnt be so annoyed if she hadnt been so 'chatty' anyway 6 weeks isnt long. Then bye bye wart!! :haha:

it also shocks me that a boots pharmacist is legally not allowed to sell unsuitable over the counter medicines to those who cant use them yet a in a resturant the bar staff are allowed to sell me a glass of wine with my meal (IF i chose to have one, which i havent as i dont drink) and i c shopkeepers selling fags to pregnant ladies all the time. In fact i was served for my husbands just the other day :shrugs: it just strikes me that when u become pregnant the world gets to decide what u can n cant do, from interfering busy bodies telling u that the coffee u r drinking is bad for your baby right down to a pharmacy worker judging for not being sure how i'd feed my baby!! the worlds gone mad :wacko: what if she had been on the day i filled my co-codamol prescription? Surely she would HAVE to hand over the meds then? Even tho she probably wouldnt have sold me anything stronger than paracetamol. Contradictory look, it drives me mental.

i'm probably just being a stark raving hormonal loonatic -well theres no probably about it lol i AM stewing over a stupid lady behind the counter in boots.

I have a wart on my index finger, its been growing for a few months yuk! Its finally finished flourishing so i popped into boots to ask for some wartner or bazuka sub-zero because my doctor said they dont freeze warts off anymore. :-( he gave me some ridiculous witch-doctor advice about putting duct tape on it. Pah! Next he'll tell me to rub a penny on it and bury that beneath a rubber tree. :wacko:

anyway i want the damn thing gone ASAP its gross and on my finger. The lady in the pharmacy noticed the bump n asked how pregnant i was, then she said ''u cant use wartner or bazuka sub-zero during pregnancy sorry.'' i simply looked at her like she'd grown a second head!! Is she kidding??? Its my finger im not going to eat the stuff or inject it! Im just freezing an unwelcome lurker FFS. She REFUSED to sell me the stuff, i felt like a 14 year old being declined the sale of cigarettes! I just stood there thinking surely she can only advise against it? Not decide its her responsibility to choose for me?! So i relented and said ''i'll wait til baby is born then, aint got long anyway.'' and she said ''well u CANT use it while breastfeeding either.'' aaaarrrgh!! I was going to knock her out! I just want to freeze off an effing wart! Its not like i was asking for illegal substances! I told her i hadnt decided IF i was breastfeeding yet and she had the cheek to gasp and look disgusted!! This isnt intended to start a FF/BF debate, just who is she to judge my decision? Or lack of decision? Or the fact i was just trying to get the last word :haha: as a pharmacist type person surely shes supposed to remain open minded and neutral about peoples decisions?!

Oh and if i WANT to apply wartner or sub-zero to my deformed hideous finger i bloody well will!! Cheeky cow! The husband is going to kindly get some since i cant get serve pmsl. If only shop keepers were that vigilant about selling underage kids fags n drink eh? Thanks if u read this pointless rant.

Hi, my OH added he can speak from personal experience duct-tape works. He was a proffessional rower and some rowers have warts on their hands all the time and duct-tape REALLY does work. :thumbup: Give it a try! :happydance:

Cloe :shipw:

Isn't co-codamol what they give you for early labour?? I swear my midwife gave me some!

How would a pharmacist know that you were buying Bazuka/Wartner for use on yourself anyway? Surely it could be for partner/children?

Isn't co-codamol what they give you for early labour?? I swear my midwife gave me some!

yes it is a doctor told me in the hospital that it is fine to take during pregnancy if you really really need it its just that they dont advise it as it can make your baby sleepy.
I had kapache or what ever it is in early pregnancy given to me by a midwife but in the chemist they will not sell it you.

As said in a previous post the world has gone a little mad my nan says the same she will say we didnt have all these bloody guidelines when we were pregnant and your all ok lol

Hi, my OH added he can speak from personal experience duct-tape works. He was a proffessional rower and some rowers have warts on their hands all the time and duct-tape REALLY does work. :thumbup: Give it a try! :happydance:

Cloe :shipw:

thank u, the doc gave me a sheet n it said it works in 80% of patients so i wasnt doubting it, its just i am a hairdresser so im not sure the tape would stay on when washing a clients hair, would probably gather hair splinters during cutting and so on. I will give it a go but im really really impatient lol

You can buy bazuka from a supermarket can't you? Use self serve - NO hassle then :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->