PhD and pregnancy? Anyone else?

DoodleDoo

Reaction score
I'm just coming to the end of my undergrad studies. I'll graduate next June with a nearly two year old. I'm looking into masters courses right now and hope to do a PhD after that. All in all, I've got 5 and a half years of education left, at least, if I get to do all of the above.

I'm pretty sure I want a second child, but I don't want a 7 year age gap. OH and I were thinking maybe ttc during my first year of PhD study, to complete about a year before taking maternity leave. My first pregnancy accidentally occurred a kind of similar way - I managed to complete my first year by June, had her a couple of weeks later, then started my second year a few weeks after that.

I'm pretty broody at the minute and feel as if I could wait two years to ttc but the idea of an age gap larger than 4 years or so is a little daunting to me. Anyone know if this is even feasible?

I am just, like this month, completing my PhD after 7 years and I had my daughter in the middle of it, around year 4. She's 3 now. It absolutely is possible and personally now that I have taken up a postdoctoral position and all the pressure and stresses that come with that, I definitely think it's worth not waiting, if you can afford it. You don't have much money in a doctoral program, but you have more time and flexibility than you'll likely have later on. We definitely went through times when we needed help and financial support from family so I could finish (childcare is expensive and we have no family nearby who can easily help us, so all help we have, we have to pay for). But I definitely had more time and less stress when I was doing my PhD than I do now that I'm working in a full-time academic position. As you are already used to balancing studying and parenting, you'll probably have an idea of what it will be like, what you'll need in terms of help, and how to balance your time, working during naptimes and in evenings, etc. I took almost a year and a half off when I had my daughter and then went back part-time to PhD work and also part-time teaching, then finally full-time on my research. It's definitely doable if you have the support around you. We'll hopefully have our second next year sometime and will have a 4-5 year age gap, which is about right for us. The benefits of waiting for our second was to have a much better maternity package, but there is definitely more stress now than before and I'm older (and have less energy for work and pregnancy and parenting than I would have had if I was younger).

I am just, like this month, completing my PhD after 7 years and I had my daughter in the middle of it, around year 4. She's 3 now. It absolutely is possible and personally now that I have taken up a postdoctoral position and all the pressure and stresses that come with that, I definitely think it's worth not waiting, if you can afford it. You don't have much money in a doctoral program, but you have more time and flexibility than you'll likely have later on. We definitely went through times when we needed help and financial support from family so I could finish (childcare is expensive and we have no family nearby who can easily help us, so all help we have, we have to pay for). But I definitely had more time and less stress when I was doing my PhD than I do now that I'm working in a full-time academic position. As you are already used to balancing studying and parenting, you'll probably have an idea of what it will be like, what you'll need in terms of help, and how to balance your time, working during naptimes and in evenings, etc. I took almost a year and a half off when I had my daughter and then went back part-time to PhD work and also part-time teaching, then finally full-time on my research. It's definitely doable if you have the support around you. We'll hopefully have our second next year sometime and will have a 4-5 year age gap, which is about right for us. The benefits of waiting for our second was to have a much better maternity package, but there is definitely more stress now than before and I'm older (and have less energy for work and pregnancy and parenting than I would have had if I was younger).

Wow congratulations, that's really impressive! What did you study? Studying with a baby, even undergrad is tough enough so you must really have worked hard. & lol, I know about the fitting it in. I've been even working through her meal times this week, shamelessly bribing her with raisins so that I can finish my essays :dohh:

Thanks for your reply, it's really helpful to know that it's feasible. A few of my lecturers recently mentioned that they had their kids whilst undergoing their PhDs which is what got me thinking about it.

We're really lucky that we live close to our family who have been hugely helpful to us, though during undergrad we get 85% of our childcare fees covered and during my MA year, my partner would still qualify for this as his is a four undergrad course. I'd have to get AHRC funding if I've got any chance of affording a PhD but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

How does mat leave work during postgraduate study?

I've heard it's a challenge and it sounds like you got good advice from the pp who is finishing her degree now. I'd add that you'd benefit from seeing how much your OH will be willing to contribute to the childcare routine. I mean, baby isn't just YOUR child, it's his too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->