Photography Club

I have started getting more and more into photography. At the moment it is just a hobby but eventually I may try and make more of it if I still want to later on.

I bought myself a second hand Canon 40d – had been using a Canon Ixus point and shoot before and had got to the point where it’s capabilities were very limiting for me. I wanted a SLR but wasn’t sure how I’d get on with it, was offered the 40d at a blooming amazing price which I would’ve been stupid to turn down.

So far I am just trying to get out there and practice – I’m not sure how to use the manual settings at the moment so I enrolled in a 1 day training course designed for 40d users which I am going on at the end of this month, I can’t wait! That will teach me about the basics of photography like aperture, exposure etc but will also teach me how to use all the different settings on my camera too. Hopefully once I know those I should be able to operate most Canon SLRs as I think they work on the same principle.

After I have learnt how to use the camera I am thinking of doing an evening course in photography to learn additional skills. There is also an OU course I am looking at possibly doing. Once we have a LO I won’t be working so I should be able to do some studies as I really want to learn a skill for when I do eventually return to work and preferably a skill I enjoy too.

Anybody else here on Flickr?

Oooh thanks for those links Anna – I will definitely get myself registered onto those

Cool! Arcanegirl, I would love to see his photos :) I'm AnnaBanana9 there too :rofl:

If you are on Flickr then please post your link as I;d love to have a look at your pictures (or hubbys pictures) :)

You can practice your skills at the meet on Tues Kerry :)

i'm currently fixing my flickr pics as i've almost approached the 200 pic limit

So glad you posted this ive been wanting to do it for years now and keep putting it off ive got good with my normal everyday camera that ive got but i want to defo get a slr now. Ive been considering going on a course to do it just for a hobby and see what comes of it. Been after advice on how to go about it for ages before i go blowing my money on a camera.

my partner :)

He started photography about 10 yrs ago. He makes money out of it now. Portraits, weddings etc :)

I'm a freelance photographer - nowhere near fortunate enough to make a living out of my passion, but I am fortunate enough to make a bit of money from it on the side.

If you would like to get into it as a hobby, the best thing to do is, like others have said, get some photography magazines and get inspired. Also use the internet; it's a goldmine od information and inspiration. There are a lot of photography sites and forums where you can post your images, get feedback and advice and meet other photographers. Places like Photography Cafe ( www.photography-cafe.com ) and Enjoying Photography ( https://enjoyingphotography.davidbrennan.co.uk/forum/index.php ) are great photographic communities full of friendly and helpful 'togs of all skill levels. Great places to learn and get helpful feedback.

The best bits of advice I got given when I took up photography about 4 years ago were:

1) Take lots of photos, of whatever catches your eye.

2) Learn your camera's functions, and be very comfortable with it. The better you know your equipment, the less time you have to spend thinking about it, and the more time you can spend on capturing the moment you want.

3) Look at images and styles of images that inspire you, then try to recreate them or give them your own twist - experimentation costs nothing in the digital age.

4) Try not to get bogged down by obsessing over equipment... it's the photographer that makes the photo, the camera is only a tool :)

5) Never be afraid to ask for feedback and constructive critique. Remember - even the most famous and talented professional was once a beginner looking to learn (and we are always learning - anyone who claims to know it all is a liar LOL)

6) Have FUN with it - take photos for YOU. If you like your images, that's the most important thing. If others like them too, that's a bonus :)

Please feel free to PM me if you like - I love talking about photography :)

This is great advice thanks hun... I appreciate it... gonna go get a magazine at some point.. so I have a starting point..!! :):)

https://rustbucketracer.deviantart.com/gallery/

thats my OHs deviant art

he has a flickr too... i dunno what the link for that is... jamesrodgersjr usually is his user name for these things.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24164154@N04/

thats somethin to do with his flickr

You don't need a fancy SLR to take good pics, this is what i use as my main camera https://www.infoborder.com/Digital_Cameras/Fujifilm/finepix_s9500.php its a cross between a compact and an SLR

here is a link to my partners flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/terrymcbride/

You have some beautiful pics Anna, - do you know how tempted I am to study one of your pics for my homework assignment this week? lol

(presentation on "the frame" - choose any picture by any photographer - they don't have to be famous, and give a presentation on the photo, focusing on the use of the frame with a little background about the photographer.) lol

both flickers have some beautiful photographs in them

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->