Pillow case as bassinet sheet?

Kiram

Reaction score
I’m a FTM and expeting my LO Christmas week. I’m currently borrowing a co-sleeper which only came with 1 sheet...the co-sleeper sheets can be pretty pricey, but I realized large pillowcases fit the mattress near perfectly, with just a bit extra length on the end. When I tuck the ends under the mattress it’s just a little loose all around, but nothing that could cover the baby’s face...do you think it could still pose a SIDs risk, though?

Do newborns typically move around enough to risk pulling the pillow case up? I only plan to use the co-sleeper temporarily (hopefully no longer than 3 months) until I can get a proper crib and use proper sheets...so I also don’t really want to invest in buying more co-sleeper sheets especially since I don’t even own the co-sleeper.

I'm not sure about the pillow cases, because I can't see it. But I bought some cheap bottom sheets on amazon that fitted my snuzpod. The bottom sheets where like £20, and these were £6. Hope that helps

I always use bassinet sheets from Babies R Us in my cosleepers/bassinets. I've had 3 different ones, slightly different shapes and sizes, but I've used the same sheets in all of them. :) I wouldn't personally use a pillow case, but all five of my babies rolled back-to-front and front-to-back by the time they were 3 days old, and four of my five would roll right onto their tummies to sleep, so I definitely wouldn't risk any extra fabric. Best of luck!

I wouldn’t use the pillow case, if it doesn’t snugly fit the mattress it’s not safe. Look online for second hand sheets, though even new ones are not overly expensive in my experience, especially if you get them on sale.

I used pillowcases for my swinging crib with my daughter no problems. They fitted better and more snug than purpose made sheets!!

I personally wouldn't because if it doesn't fit tight then the risk of it shifting and covering baby's face is higher. But if you can find some way to secure it so it does fit tight it might work??

I used pillow cases with my DS in his Moses basket from day one until he grew out of it. He always slept on his back and I never had a problem with them tbh.

I always use an unwashed t-shirt that I slept in, the week before the birth. That way the baby will be surround by the smell of mommy. I'm not a sweaty betty so it only smells of me and not my armpits. It helped both my DDs to settle in and not be in my arms all the time.

Newborns aren't big movers so there is little chance of them wriggling about to pull whatever you are using up. By the time they do start moving, they should be big enough for the crib.

I wouldn’t do it. Honestly, my baby is 4 months and I’ve washed the bassinet insert once. Wash during the day and hulk be good for the next night :)

Second hand mattresses are also a SIDS risk...sorry....you just have to weight up how many of the risks you can reasonably adjust for and which you can't.

Could you safety pin the extra fabric from the pillow case underneath so that the fit is snug?

I borrowed a moses basket and bought a new mattress for it and then couldn't find any sheets to fit...so I made some. I'm not super skilled at sewing but I still managed it (thank you maternity leave!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->