Place name as baby's name - yay or nay?

HopefulEm

Reaction score
Hi All,

So my husband came up with a name the other day that we both really like but I'm concerned people will focus too much on the fact that it's the name of a place they've heard of and not be able to think of it as a good baby name. To be fair, it's a name of a city that (I think) is really only well known in the US and we live in Scotland. So it's less likely to be recognized, but we have a lot of family in the US who would definitely make the connection.

Are names like Boston, Orlando, Dallas, etc. good choices or do they just ask for the child to be picked on?

Please share any experiences you have of people with place names! Were/are they happy with their names?

Hi All,

So my husband came up with a name the other day that we both really like but I'm concerned people will focus too much on the fact that it's the name of a place they've heard of and not be able to think of it as a good baby name. To be fair, it's a name of a city that (I think) is really only well known in the US and we live in Scotland. So it's less likely to be recognized, but we have a lot of family in the US who would definitely make the connection.

Are names like Boston, Orlando, Dallas, etc. good choices or do they just ask for the child to be picked on?

Please share any experiences you have of people with place names! Were/are they happy with their names?

it depends really

I know quite a few little Brooklyn's (both male and female) no one bats an eyelid

I was going to be London and Paris is common-ish

I like Aurora, Indiana, Dakota, Aspen and Navarda

and some famously classic names are place names like Charlotte and Stanley

but I would draw the line at very place-y names like Newcastle or Portsmouth lol

This has been a major point of contention between my husband and me. He is dead set against place names. My top boys name is Austin. I also love charlotte, Sydney, and Adelaide.
I think it would be fine, especially if you're in Scotland and it's an American city. :)

just thought I have a friend called Chelsea (after the place)

and my name is apparently a place in Russia (although I doubt anyone would know that as its an African name lol)

those are also well known in Canada. Those are major cities.

I am not a fan. ALTHOUGH - i did name my dog Cleveland.

just thought I have a friend called Chelsea (after the place)

and my name is apparently a place in Russia (although I doubt anyone would know that as its an African name lol)

and interesting is that Chelsea at one time was a very popular girls name in Canada. Just one of those things that vary culture to culture.

I live in Canada and the name I've chosen if Freckle is a girl is Georgia Charlotte Emelia (Adelaide was a consideration for a third middle name). Honestly, it didn't even occur to me that she would have two (or three) middle names until someone pointed it out.

I think it's fine as long as it's not overboard. Brooklyn's or Phoenix's are better than Apple's and North West's.

Clearly it depends on the name. They are becoming more popular as time goes on and society changes. Orlando & Dallas seem fine as boy names to me, however Boston just doesn't seem like a name to me. Austin I've always seen as a boy's name too and rarely associate it with Texas.

Paris definitely comes off to me as "just a place" whereas London seems fine to me...:shrug:

There's a little boy two doors down from me named Boston. He's named after his dad's favourite hockey team, the Boston Bruins.

I'd say it definitely depends on the name in question :)

I considered Texas I think it makes a lovely name.
We also considered Siena also a place.
Our baby girl is Mila Paris as Paris has meaning to us as a place so thought it would be nice to encorporate it in baby's name.

If you like the name go for it someone somewhere will always have a negative opinion xx

We had considered using Camden and Brooklyn at one point both are places too.

I dont see anything wrong with it. Plus I think your opinion is the only one that matters :)

As others have mentioned, I think it really depends on the name.

I really love the name Vienna and considered it for my daughter. I also think names such as Charlotte, Brooklyn, Georgia, Sydney and Adelaide are commonly used at names that I don't think people automatically think of the place. Then again, it depends where you're from.

I've seen the name Aurora mentioned on here a lot, and while I do think its pretty, its the name of a town near where I live so it sounds a little funny to me. But if you're not from where I'm from, you wouldn't make that connection. :flower:

I'm not a fan of extreme place-ish names like London, or Boston. But that is just my taste.

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Perhaps I just need to keep mulling it over for a while. It's hard when I haven't personally heard it used as a first name before. They do exist on the net though.

Are you willing to share the name you have in mind? I think our opinions will differ depending on what the name is. I actually quite like place-names. I love Camden, Brooklyn, Dallas, Paris, London, India... I even know babies named Dublin & Ireland! :thumbup:

My SIL is named Ashley and the town she lives in is called Ashley! LOL

There is a town near me called Waverly - and I recently met a little girl named Waverly. Even though in this area there is a strong association with the town - I still think it's an awesome name!

Are you willing to share the name you have in mind? I think our opinions will differ depending on what the name is. I actually quite like place-names. I love Camden, Brooklyn, Dallas, Paris, London, India... I even know babies named Dublin & Ireland! :thumbup:

My SIL is named Ashley and the town she lives in is called Ashley! LOL

I know it might make it easier, but I promised DH there would be no name reveals until LO arrives. :dohh:

There is a town near me called Waverly - and I recently met a little girl named Waverly. Even though in this area there is a strong association with the town - I still think it's an awesome name!

Does sound like a good girls name though I've never heard of it place name or otherwise. Do you know if she's happy with her name or if she minds the association?

I think if someone wants to pick on a child, they'll find an excuse because nobody's perfect. But, also, a lot of places were named after people, weren't they? I love Waverly, Orlando, and even Dakota... They're neat names. Some of them are a little more far-fetched, though. Like Dallas, I'd veto that one if my OH suggested it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->