Placenta, can it move around??

Sweetk1

Reaction score
Basically my son has been measuring quite large since 20 weeks.
Had a few complications do had more scans.
At 20 weeks the head was on 95th centile, stomach on 90th
I went for a routine growth scan at 32 weeks, the sonographer was a young girl, she done measurements and said head still 95th stomach was below 50th, legs just above 50th.
Now she also said my placenta was posteria (at back) yet all through my pregnancy my placenta has been high anterior (at front).

Dud to complication ended up going back 1 week later for scan with my consultant, she measured the stomach on the 95th centile and placenta high anterior!

So my question is, can placentas move from front to back at 34 weeks? Also it's making me think that she must have made mistakes as the stomach has always been 95th centile, she mesured it below 50th but a week later consultant said it's definitely obove 95th.
Do you think this sonographer was just useless?

I think you just had an inexperienced sonographer!

I had a feeling as soon as I spoke to her that she was a little inexperienced.
She measured the baby with an estimated fetal weight of 4 lb 10oz, my consultant done all the measurements a week later and it was 6lb 11oz.
The consultant did say wow this baby is massive!

That's a good size my biggest twin is 6lbs 14oz at 36 weeks so he's gonna be a nice size. My first was 9lbs 5.5oz and he was an easy birth and a brilliant baby! I had the same with one of the sonographers at our hospital I'd sit in fear she was going to be scanning me each time. If you get her again ask for a second opinion it's important that they are accurate with your scans!

They can be a bit useless sometimes lol. Last scan I had (20 weeks) I could see the baby was facing towards the placenta on the screen and the ladty mentioned that he was facing my back - strange as my placenta is anterior and so he would have been facing forwards!!! If she'd looked at my notes she would have seen that!!

I thought it was strange that my placenta would move fro
Front to back and then back to front again.
My son had been growing consistently big but suddenly she had him on 50 th centile. A week later back on 95th.

i know that they can move up as you get bigger but i think that is to do with where it is attatched. bit worrying that they are letting someone who sounds so inexperianced do scans.
imagine if she had told you some horrible news or missed something really important

I had to go to the hospital at 34 weeks to get the shot that stops labor. They ordered an u/s there, and the guy who did it was an idiot! I get biweekly u/s to check on baby and check my placenta to see if the thing will move up out of the way. I had just had an u/s 2 days before and it was still too low to have a vag birth. Well, this clown tells me that my placenta is high and not even low at all. I told him my baby's head is prolly just in the way as she has been at 0 station for some time. He said there was no way and I was def not previa anymore. I finally told him that I have seen to perinatal drs and I get biweekly scans, and he acted like I was full of it. He was a jerk too, btw. Anyway, the radiologist called back up to the nurses to tell them that the tech was wrong and I do still have previa. He said it was just hard to see around my baby's head, but it was down there. So, when something is really off, make sure you don't trust it! The scans are as only good as the person or dummy doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->