Placenta previa?

Ashley1021

Pregnant with my first!
Reaction score
I had an episode of vaginal bleeding this evening that scared me into the ER. Turns out I have placenta previa. Not complete, it's partial. But they mentioned it appeared to be implanted down into my cervix? She called my ob, and my ob told her she would be referring me to a high risk ob after our appointment Tuesday.

I'm freaking out! They made this sound like a huge deal!

It can be if any complications arise. In a lot of cases PP can move away from the cervix as the uterus grows, which would be confirmed by a 36 week scan.

Sometimes previa calls for pelvic rest--bummer!, and in cases where it doesn't move, c-section is the only route. Unfortunate if you are set on a natural birth.

At this point I would just try not worry and see what the OB says next appointment :hugs2:

If c section will keep us both safe I'm totally fine with that. I'm just confused as to why I would be referred to high risk when it is only covering part of my cervix. The ultrasound report said something about vessels appearing to be near that area? They made it sound REALLY serious.

I see my ob tomorrow morning and am hoping for answers

I was told in 95% of cases it does move so fingers crossed you'll be ok. I googled this loads when I had it and found that there was a massive difference in what everybody was being told so I'd either fight the urge and not Google it and then listen to what your doctor tells you personally or Google it and make a list of questions that you specifically want answering. My midwife was rubbish and only by fluke did I see a more senior midwife at 34 weeks who explained things much more clearly for me

The er Doctor attempted to draw me a picture and it made it worse! She drew part of my placenta down into the cervical opening! Then I was lectured about driving to the hospital apparently next time I need to call an ambulance! They made me feel like I was dying or something!

Yeah I would just wait til your OB has a look, some ER dr.s don't know sh**!

I believe you just have to take it easy , to prevent placenta abruption? Don't quote me on that but my sister in law and best friend both had PP and they were told to be careful (pelvic rest and no heavy lifting etc). Everything went well for them but their labors started kind of scary with a lot of bleeding but both mommys and babies were perfectly fine.
Your OB should definitely give you answers though!
In the mean time just try to take it easy on your body- relax and put your feet up if you can

I know that placenta previa can correct itself in plenty of time. But what you are describing sounds very odd I've never heard of it!! Really hope there is a possibility that this will sort itself out!

Apparently the er scared the crap out of me lol! My doctor isn't worried and convinced it will move. But she is still sending me to high risk for more detailed ultrasounds because of the amount of bleeding I'm having. It soaks a super pad in about 20 minutes, then stops.

I have complete grade 4 PP so having another scan at 28 weeks to check if it's moved.

The bleeding is main risk, it's painless & without warning and smaller bleeds (sounds like what you've had so far) very often lead to massive bleeds where there is a big risk for you & baby.

Hope your ob gives you better insight when you see them soon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->