Placenta sent for histology?

annaki

A Little Bit Pregnant #1
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this but wanting to know if anyone knows why my place at would have been sent for histology?

I'm in the UK and told this isn't normal practice so I'm worried.

A little bit of history...had Cat 1 C section after suspicious CTG following induction at 40 + 12 weeks. Only has 2 pessarys with no effect. Unable to break waters. Suffered from hypertension throughoutregnancy, but it came down during BP profile each time.

Also told there was a small haemorrhage behind placenta.

Baby is now 11 days old and doing fine. I have asked why placenta sent off but just been to.d it looked gritty.

My comm MW says its not normal practice for it tobe sent off just for this reason. She said to check with GP at 6 week post natal check. So I ave a long time to worry :-/.

Can anyone shed some light?

As far as I am aware everyone's ( in the UK) is sent away. Could be wrong...

No they are usually incinerated with other hospital waste. However OP rest assured it is unlikely to be anything sinister so please do not worry. Yes they may well send it off purely for the reason of it looking gritty. The placenta can become gritty if the blood flow wasn't quite too notch to the placenta or it had started to deteriorate, this usually happens past 42 weeks of pregnancy but can in some cases happen earlier xx

Thanks for your responses. I'm just worrying :-(.

Im sure its nothing. If baby is already born and 11 days old, doing fine, and drs havent said anything, Im sure its just routine?

It's not routine however you could ring delivery suite and enquire why this was sent off. So much for informed consent! X

Mine was sent off with my 4 year old as they said it smelt 'off' :wacko: they tested for infection etc. Results came back fine.

With the baby I lost at 18 weeks they sent the placenta off, they test for infection, chromosome abnormalities and for clotting etc- im wondering if maybe the hemmorage you had behind the placenta coupled with it being gritty may point towards them worrying about future pregnancies perhaps? Either way, best to know x

Sorry what I mean is that all procedures are supposed to be carried out with informed consent! And considering they've sent the placenta off without telling you what for then its certainly not informed consent :(

I'd just give them a call xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->