Placenta smoothie

Keyval

Reaction score
Not sure if many of you have seen it but on the " the morning show " here in Ireland's it's on an irish tv channel . They were talking and showing how to make placenta smoothie after you have a baby . Iv never heard of this before . It's basically just blending the placenta with fruit and drinking it ha . Or you can get it made into capsules too . Supposed to be full of nutrients and help with breast feeding . Would you /have you done this ?
Personally I wouldn't dont think I could stomach it . But would be interested to see if people have and noticed a difference :)

Here's a link to the one I'm talking about from the show https://www.her.ie/story/this-is-ha...are-road-testing-the-placenta-smoothie-921803

I've heard of this and of people eating it apparently they fry it and eat it with onions like it was liver! I just think ewww I couldn't do that!

Yeah I've heard of this, apparently it helps with or prevents postnatal depression or baby blues and I think others bury it somewhere?

Either way, I could never eat that!

just thinking about it makes me want to gag :sick: I don't think I'd ever be able to do it!

Yep, you can get people to come & get the placenta asap after birth. Then they make a picture with it before turning it into a smoothie or capsules (or both)

My OB told me there is absolutely no medical evidence that this works, and told me not to waste money on it.

Honestly I can't imagine it anyway, seems like cannibalism to me!

My sister did this with some of her placenta (encapsulated the other half) right after birth and she said she had a huge increase in energy and it really helped with her milk supply :) She took the capsules as well over time and it really helped with ppd (she had severe ppd after the birth of her first child). I don't know if I would make it into a smoothie, but I definitely plan on encapsulating mine after my next baby is born.

I think I could take the capsules but the thought of actually drinking or eating it makes me feel a little sick!
I remember been in theatre and they took DD out with the placenta in a bag in her goldfish bowl. That was gross :haha:

I did it - both the placenta smoothie and the encapsulation. The smoothie was actually really tasty and you would never have known there was placenta in it. I'm not quite sure how it was made (I hired someone to do the encapsulation for me and she made me the smoothie too), but I think it was just pre-made bottled smoothie drinks (like those Innocent smoothies) with a small amount of placenta. It was really nice and energizing. I'm not sure that was because it contained placenta or just because it was nice to have a high calorie drink right after birth. I did lose a bit of blood at birth and became anemic, so I think it could only help so much in those first hours unfortunately. I still felt pretty crap physically the first couple days because of the anemia.

But I would say I did notice a real difference when I started taking the placenta capsules (about day 4). I didn't really get the usual 'baby blues' drop in mood that is normal around day 3-5 and I've found I've felt pretty energetic and upbeat this past month. I don't have anything to compare it to as this is my first baby and maybe I would feel great anyway, but I'd like to think the pills have helped some. I know it sounds kinda gross and isn't to everyone's taste, but you really don't think about it once it's just in pill form and it doesn't seem gross to me now to take them. The only downside is that it's expensive to have encapsulation done (though you can do it yourself). I think it's worth it for me, but it was definitely my big splurge financially with my birth.

I did the capsules, oh made them himself which saved 250 dollars. I started taking them day 4 and noticed an increase in energy and much more positive mood. Bf has been easy, I have plenty of milk, and was able to resume light exercises 2 weeks pp after a c section.
Its an ancient practice, and I believe it helped.

I think if it doesn't look like placenta then I think it would make it easier for people ~ i'm not 100% sure if I would, it's never entertained me in the past. I get why mothers do it, I think it's odd when other people eat it. I think it sounds good to do it this way. We were having a conversation about people eating placentas with the MW after I had just delivered the placenta for my second daughter, she was going to give us a good biology talk about it but then I had a pph.

My mum ate the placenta when she had my sister. She said it was the best thing she ever tasted.

I'm planning on doing the capsules this time around. The first 2 weeks were really rough for me emotionally last time. I'm hoping the capsules will help with that. Who knows, though - even if I don't get "the baby blues" this time around, I'll never actually know if it was the capsules or not. But I figure it's worth a shot.

Melbell, you said your OH made them for you? What resources/instructions did he use to know how to do it? I'm trying to find someone in my area who will do it for me, but just in case I don't, I'd like to know how to do it myself. Would be good to know what worked for you. :)

We looked it up online, there are a few different ways to do it. We opted to use a food dehydrator instead of the oven, si ce cooking it may kill nutrients. Fortunately dh isn't squeamish. You first clean the placenta, removing blood clots, then cut in thin strips, dehydrate, grind into powder using coffee grinder, and pack into empty pill capsules. Dh said encapsulating was the worst part... poor guy.
I'm convinced this aided my recovery I seemed to feel more stable as soon as I started taking them.

Thanks! That's good to know about the dehydrator. Yeah, it seems like the hardest part (other than not being squeamish!) would be getting the "powder" into the capsules.

There are tools that you can buy to help fill the pills, I'm drawing a blank on the name, but its out there!

Good to know, but I asked my husband, and he is totally grossed out by the idea of doing it ourselves. Looks like we'll be hiring someone. (For the capsules only; don't think I could ever bring myself to drink the smoothie!) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->