Placenta very close to cervix but not covering it?

BabyMcRayRay

Reaction score
At my 20 week anatomy scan they also did a vaginal scan to check my cervix and to see the placenta and its location better. She noted it was very close to the cervix but since it wasn't covering the cervix that it shouldn't be anything to worry about. Obviously I'm now worried after doing some Dr google research. Anybody have this and have no issues during delivery? I would appreciate any input.

At my 20-week scan with my fourth baby, the placenta was partially covering the cervix. I knew that if it didn't move out of the way, I'd need a c-section, but my doctor was sure it was nothing to worry about and that it would move. When I went back for another ultrasound to check on it, the placenta was half-way up the right side of my uterus, so reeeeeally high! Delivery went perfectly. As the uterus grows (upward), it almost always brings the placenta upward with it.

Don't worry. They note it so they know where it is...and if you have bleeding/spotting, they can have a better idea what happened. If it's not covering, it won't cover it. I had complete previa, and at my 19 week anatomy scan it had moved up and out of the way. I asked if it can come back down and re-cover the cervix...they said that wasn't possible. So I'd say you're good, and it can only move further away. :)

Hi,

I had this issue when I went for my 20 week scan with my son. I had to go for another scan a few weeks later. Most of the time, as your uterus gets bigger, the placenta moves up with it, away from your cervix. Everything was fine for the second scan and I gave birth naturally.

Yep had this when pregnant with my now 6½ month old son. They saw it at 20 weeks and it had moved out of the way by my 32 week scan, I don't remember exactly by how much but it sounded like it had moved pretty high up. So no worries! The doctor told me back then that about 80-85% of the time the placenta moves up as the uterus grows. So odds are really good for yours moving as well! Worst case and it doesn't move you'd need a c-section and I ended up having one anyway as they thought my son was a big baby of 4.7 kg but he ended up being just a tad over 4.0 kg :dohh: It's not as bad as you'd think, I had no pain during the surgery and my recovery went pretty well.

Yeah stay away from Google with stuff like that, the vast majority of the time it just makes you worry needlessly:nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->