• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Planning a homebirth, any advice welcome!

30mummyof1

Mummy of 3
Reaction score
So had my booking in appointment today with the midwife and she has given me the go ahead for a home birth even though i had a pph after my last birth. I know they can't say no but always good to have them on your side i think!
Feeling really excited and empowered to be able to do this.

I hope I don't chicken out, as i did consider it for baby no'2 but changed my mind. I do feel really strongly though this time that is the best option as i will be able to have my dh and children around me and they can meet their new brother or sister straight away (well depending on time of day but within reason!) and there will no visiting time restrictions!
I also love the idea of not having to work out when to go to the hospital, the car journey and then the waiting for a lift to get up to the maternity unit.
In fact there are so many good reasons to be at home, and i think the only one not to is a pph happening again?

Is anyone else planning one or had one and have any tips/advice etc.. to help make it happen! :)

I'm planning one too, I hope you don't mind me stalking your thread :haha:

One of the things that I've heard is it can be helpful to have a tarp if you're having a waterbirth...makes sure water doesn't get everywhere!

I had one in September. One thing I never saw mentioned that I wish I had done was line the hall and bathroom floor with newspapers or some crappy clothes I could have thrown away. I felt the NEED to continue to walk up to the last few minutes. I was walking the steps but stopped well before I bled a bit. I know I bled more then I should have but not enough to need to transfer. It was like I needed to nest a bit in labor.

I did have a stock of supplies in order I would need them-top was a crappy blanket for baby then a better one and an outfit and a placenta bowl near. I had 1 on each floor but knew it would be in our bedroom. Also anything you currently are craving and some easy snacks. Best thing I read was a woman say she puked little while after eating but it was well worth it. SO AGREE. Eat if your hungry but do plan it could come up. Even if you do not eat keep a bucket nearby.

At the end I was using the bucket to pee in as I pushed as I could not jsut pee on the floor lol. I know...like of all going in my head I was worried about the few drops. But had I not had it there I think it would have slowed labor as I would have been overly focused on that.

I also wanted candles. That lasted only so long as I go sick from the smell. I was sorta sad to at the time it was funny as I was charting in mind if I had anymore that were another brand(didn't:( lol)

Oh and if you have a dog 1) When you go out in labor you may panic and think oh shit if this dog gets off leash.... 2) They will sniff the crap out of you so PROTECT that area.

If it helps PPH is less common at a home birth because many of the causes are actually due to interventions and drugs that are commonly used in hospital. Most PPH that does happen at home can be treated for quickly in the same way it would be in hospital.

I loved my HB, can't wait to do it again. One thing I'd do different is to lay out the stuff better that was needed after the birth. I thought I was organised but I was stuck on my back after the birth because of heavy bleeding and holding the baby (who was getting most of my attention) and I was exausted after a long labour so wasn't thinking straight. When the MW went to find the baby clothes, change of sheets etc I couldn't think where they were except "in that cupboad somewhere" so she had to dig around for stuff. This time I plan to put it all in a box and put the box out on top of the table when I go into labour.

Thanks for responses so far. It's great to hear of people's experiences :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->