Plastic crap!

Scoobys mummy

Reaction score
Is it me or are most toys now just plastic crap? Most toys I see advertised on tv etc are just rubbish that don't actually do much, need a fortune of batteries and look like they will break in a week! But just because it has a name on it (batman/barbie/peppa) it's ok! I got my dd a cozy coupe as part of her birthday present,yes it's plastic but sturdy and I've heard will last years. For Xmas she is getting a small wooden table(for crafts/snacks),wooden puzzles,duplo blocks,big chunky crayons and other stuff that I hope will last. I have Lego from I was small....do they just not make toys to last now?

I hate it when they put a character on a 50p toy and sell it for a tenner!

I agree, most of it is pure crap. My kids would be pretty careful with their toys, but still half of it breaks within a matter of weeks, if the kids don't break it from playing with it, then OH will usually stand on it or something and it will completely smash up... That's why I love wooden stuff, my 10 year old nephew had a wooden car garage since he was about 2... he gave it to my boys and it's still perfect. Ok someone did scribble on it.. but other than that perfect. If my nephew had gotten a plastic one it wouldn't have lasted a month!

We're a massive fan of wooden toys too. Lyss also has some happyland stuff which is hood quality. But we avoid cheap crap.
Things really just don't seem to be made to last x

Charlie has some lovely wooden stuff that he's now lost interest in :rolleyes: I think Peppa toys are the worst for this, they are so badly made and expensive and fall apart easily, I'm glad I bought a load 2nd hand as most of them are broken now! Charlie's Happyland stuff has stood the test of time though :)

I'm purposefully looking for the "old fashioned" toys for Abby. She does have some of the new modern ones, but my mum still has her toys from when she was a baby, and they are in perfect condition. I'd like them to last a long time.

I agree when I buy my son things I always go for good quality things, I'm a big fan of wooden toys x

Charlie has some lovely wooden stuff that he's now lost interest in :rolleyes: I think Peppa toys are the worst for this, they are so badly made and expensive and fall apart easily, I'm glad I bought a load 2nd hand as most of them are broken now! Charlie's Happyland stuff has stood the test of time though :)

We got the happyland train set but the train has broken:(

A little o/t but how do you rate the aqua doodle? Is it worth it or more overpriced tat?

lyss loves hers, and so long as you look after it i'd say its well worth it.
dont wash them though lol! i stuck our first one in the wash and ruined it!

Aw thats a shame :( Charlie's is really robust and he plays with them a lot! The top door always comes off the rocket ship but it can be clipped back in again.

I agree although many well known brand wooden toys don't fare much better in our house, if they are held together with metal parts or glue they end up completely dismantled within 24 hours by my boys :o xx

A little o/t but how do you rate the aqua doodle? Is it worth it or more overpriced tat?

I love it, so do the kids. It's so easy and clean! The only thing is the boys complain it's all one colour. We have 2 mats, the regular one, and we got a Thomas The Tank Engine one that comes with a train that prints little tracks. For us, it was definitely worth it, I'd recommend it! x

We have the aqua draw and my Lo is just beginning to enjoy it he's almost 2, is recommend it though it's fab x

I agree, me & my mum were saying the other day that nothing is made to last these days... Peppa pig is the worse stuff.. I'm not buying anymore!! Also the ELC play food is really crap quality compared to the play food I had as a child.. We have happyland sets that I think are good though, but the doors always come off but my mum pointed out that they obv do that so that toddlers dont snap them off.

Can anyone recommend any plastic play food which is good? I've bought my son the Elc little cooks kitchen for his birthday but just realised it only comes with a bit of food

I think it depends what you get with plastic toys. My son has loads of Little People stuff we got the garage, helicopter and recycling truck new and the rest second hand. You really can't tell the difference between the secondhand stuff that has probably been through a couple of kids already and the stuff I've brought him new.

It is going to last him, his little brother or sister and still look good when I sell it on so it is a great investment. We have never had a broken bit.

The other good one is Wow toys, they are really well made I can see them lasting for years.

Aw thats a shame :( Charlie's is really robust and he plays with them a lot! The top door always comes off the rocket ship but it can be clipped back in again.

Call up ELC or Mothercare. I got the Happyland race track and the high jump was bent out of shape, tweeted a photo to @mothercarehelp and within an hour they called and they sent me out a new one free of charge the next day

My fav toys shop has a lot of varied stuff, nice selection between wood and plastic and textile fabrics.

I avoid character toys because they are so cheaply made. i got lo a zanussi cleaning trolley and its the most cheaply made piece of crap ever!

my LO plays with happyland which i find quite good quality and we generally go for wooden toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->