please come and share your free days out!

lau86

Reaction score
i defo think the best price is free, especially with now working part time money is that bit more tight. I'm sure many of you are the same, so thought I'd start this thread and we could all review our free days out!

I appreciate we're not all in the same area but I'm sure there will be someone else that's interested in what you're reviewing!

my first is: manchester museum of science and industry- took the LO today it was great, lots of info about textile making, the history of planes and trains, got to see up close huge big engines and water wheels at work. There's a whole room with all sorts of planes and old cars in it, on the first floor there's a room of games and experiments. There's an old steam train you can go on that costs £2 but it's a nice touch. BTW this museum is free but they say a donation of £3 wouldn't go amiss. We didn't do that as supported their coffee shop by getting lunch there ha ha.

Please don't let this flop I'm really interested in what people come up with!

If you are in The Midlands, take a picnic to Northicote Farm, its just beautiful!

im in south wales and we have community farms round by us so u can make a donation and then loo at the animals! u dont have to mke a donation though so it could be free. my lo loves animals and its rare to find somewhere u can get into for free!

I live on the border of North Yorkshire moors so theres loads of places to have a picnic & spend the day exploring.

Theres a few places that aren't free but are cheap. Guisborough Priory is an old ruin from the 12th century, kids were free & it cost £2 per adult.

Liverpool World Museum is good for a free day out - especially if it is raining. There are 5 different floors, aquarium, bugs, dinosaurs, space and egyptians. It is really interesting for the kids and all free. They even have a room for eating your packed lunch in which we used. All we had to pay for was the petrol to the museum.

Walton Gardens near warrington is a nice day out if the weather is dry.

Also I know this is not a day out but I quite like doing a Cinema day at home if the weather is rubbish. Get the kids to design and make themselves a ticket for admission to the cinema. Draw the curtains in the living room and put the film on with some popcorn. Keeps them entertained for a little while.

Another wet day thing I do is in our wetroom put out the little paddling pool and throw the kids in with buckets, spades, toys etc and let them get all wet they love it.

If you are in The Midlands, take a picnic to Northicote Farm, its just beautiful!

I love Northicote Farm! Megans nursery is about two mins from there and they often take the kids for the morning before lunch!

In the Midlands -

Sandwell Valley, its free for the park and walks and is beautiful, and there is a little farm that is about £1.50 to get in!

Bilston Art Gallery - it has craft play and stay on a tuesday afternoon - i think its a pound but is great for the kids!

I will come back and add some more when i put my thinking hat on lol!

Its not free but i recommend becoming a member of the national trust, ive just signed up (only £18 annual fee under 25 and under 5s free) and its great.

Been to the 2 local ones near me and the girls loved it. No kiddie play area but its a safe place for the kids to run around, nice flowers, no dog poo, lovely people, no rubbish, tree climbing.

Great places to spend a day with a picnic,

I love Northicote Farm! Megans nursery is about two mins from there and they often take the kids for the morning before lunch!

In the Midlands -

Sandwell Valley, its free for the park and walks and is beautiful, and there is a little farm that is about £1.50 to get in!
Bilston Art Gallery - it has craft play and stay on a tuesday afternoon - i think its a pound but is great for the kids!

I will come back and add some more when i put my thinking hat on lol!

Definitely agree with sandwell valley, I love it there, it has lovely parks for the kids to play in too xx

We've been taking advantage of local festivals and events that are free rather than tourist attractions this year.

The kiddos like being out and about and seeing different stuff no matter what it is.

We went to a Kite Flying festival the other weekend it was ace...nothing to do really just a big feild with loads people flying kites an ice cream van and 1 stall selling basic kites but it was a lovely day looking at the kites and having an ice cream in the sunshie, we bought a little kite for a fiver and flew it...Dewi LOVED it.

Now we have a kite in the car we realised that as the kids get older that will be excellent free entertainment

Thanks guys I'm really enjoying all your suggestions, love the cinema and kite one my LO is a bit small for those yet but they sound fun

I also recommend getting a NT pass, they really are very inexpensive if you are under 25 (or can get away with saying you are)
Locally we go to Gibside, which has 3 brilliant play areas, events on every day during all schoool holidays and is generally just a nice place to be. Wallington hall, which has larger evens on less regularly. Another one with 2 play areas and plenty room to safely run. Cragside which is amazing, large play areas a maze and loads of exploring over a very large site. Those are the main ones locally but there are other small attractions as well.

We go to Saltwell park, which has pedal boats, duck feeding, 3 large parks, animals, and normally bouncy castles and a train at a small charge. Chester-le-street park, which has a large park, outdoor exersize, duck feeding and out door pool (summer holidays only) Marine park. which has similar to chester but with a small train at small cost. That one is also next to a large fun fair, which isnt free but good fun

Indoors we got to Baltic Mill, Lang art galley. Which both have childrens sections as well as changing displays. The Discovery and Hancock museum, which are very different but both in the city centre and free.

There is also Beamish museum and Alnwick castle and garden. Both of these have a pay once and get in all year. Its between £30-£45 for two adults and children under 8 free. However these places also have loads of event on. Normally of a very good quality through out the year. I tend to look at it as £3 a week for NT Beamish and Alniwck, which does keep us in having days out all year. We literally go somewhere both weekend days and Im normally at a NT site at the very least once a week.

In the past we've also had passes to the Blue reef aquarium, in north shields and the life centre in newcastle. The life centre is okay as long as your interested in whatever main display they have on. I havent re-newed that pass though.

take a look at your local council websites and tourist information about your nearest country parks and museums/galleries etc as there's always something going on somewhere that isn't always well advertised....like this kite festival, found a bug hunt in a local park advert too - lo is still a bit small for it yet but good to know what kind of things are going on.

I just found out that my city's Parks and Rec Department offers credits to low income families. I'm going to call them to see if we qualify. Then we'd be able to go to the pool for free. Ozzy loves the water!

See its great what you can find...some stuff just isnt out there and advertised so its well worth having a hunt around for discounts etc.

In the midlands Brocks Hill Visitor Centre and Country Park in Oadby is great - the vistors centre has some interactive displays for kids and often runs free craft events and the Country park has a great play area and loads of great places to walk and explore. I often take my little sister and we go for a picnic while there :thumbup:

If anyone lives in lancashire area I'd say go to towneley park, there is a big regal house with a museum in the basement and within the land there is a wood sculture trail and a horticulture part. We go quite often for a picnic near the fountains and feed the ducks too.

We are lucky to be in the National Park and also next to the beach so we vary free days with beach or the forest. Sometimes we find a river and make leaf boats and have a race.

A great cheap day out in the south would be Moors alley or Lepe Beach which has brill wooden park.

https://www.moors-valley.co.uk/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"