Please help re going on holiday!

Nut_Shake

Reaction score
Firstly, where do the babies sit on the plane? On your lap?

Also, do I take a buggy or car seat or both? My buggy is obviously a double so is big and heavy! We wouldn't be going anywhere outside the hotel, just staying on the resort so would only really use a buggy in the airports. So if we don't take a buggy do we just carry the babies around during the holiday? That's no problem, I just have no idea!

What about the transfer from the airport to the hotel; would they have car seats? Or must we bring our own?

And bottles and feeding, where would I wash the bottles and how would I sterilise them??

I'm SO confused! Anyone that's been away with their little ones please help!

Xxxx

Sorry hun, don't have any advice from experience, but for the bottles could you take a microwave steriliser with you? They're not that big. Or just cold water sterilising tablets?

Hope you have lots of fun! We were going to go to Florida with our LO but sadly can't afford it now.:flower:

Take Milton to sterilise, carseats are not required on public transport so, unless you were hiring a car I'd say not to bother. Take the buggy or slings and I'd recommend a baby sun shelter for gusarnteed shade xx

First of all hun where are you going cos that will give us a better idea.

They have to sit on your knees on the plane.

RE. buggies. If both you and OH are going id recomend gettin two light weight strolers, babys can sit in them while you eat or on a night while your in the bar. I dont think id go on holiday with out one.

Car seats it depends on how your transfering to the hotel and the laws in that country. If your hiring a car the hire company might provide seats.

Sterllising it might be easyest to take a plug in steam sterliser and a travel kettle to boil water for your bottles. Or sterlie disposible ones.

I havent been away yet, we go next week. children under two dont get alocated a seat on a plane & also dont get a baggage allowance. different airlines have different policies re buggies, most will onlt take pushchairs that fold in 1 ie if you have to take the seat unit off before folding they wont take it. also you have a choice between taking either a car seat or buggy not both.

i cant help re the sterilising as i bf so its not something i've had to think about.

Thomas Cook allocate all infants a 10k luggage allowance. We've booked ours with them for that reason.

Re: washing bottles. I'd say to take a bottle brush and some fairy liquid and just do them in the sink in the bathroom... or... if you're yet to book a holiday auim for a suite or apartment hotel with a kitchenette. We've got a pretty good deal on an all inclusive in Gran Canaria which is a suite. Means Fin can go down in the bedroom and we can be in the lounge area without waking him... we're taking a disposable DVD player for films in those evenings xx

Do you mean portable DVD player Kitty?:haha:

Where are you heading to nutshake?

First holiday in June and a bit stressed about it too!

Check what you booked re the plane - you can either book to have the babies on your laps with an extra infant seat belt or they can have their own seats (using their car seat)? We're doing the lap-sitting as much cheaper!

Also check with the plane re what you are allowed to bring for free. Our airline allows 2 out of 3 - pushchair, car seat and travel cot. You'll get the same allowance for each LO but for a double pushchair may be worth ringing the airline to check. May as well bring it if it's free though! The buggy would be much handier for when you are having meals etc.

Would def bring your own car seats, especially if free, as the transfer bus probably won't provide them and even if they did you've no guarantees on their safety standard.

Think we're going to bring our microwave steriliser (staying in a villa tho) which is quite small but that only works if in a hotel with a microwave? Milton tablets may be handier. I guess you could wash the bottles in the bathroom in your room? Tbh it was the whole thing with feeding that put me off a hotel and it's why we've gone for a villa. But loads of people manage a hotel - they may have some facililties you could use if they are very family friendly? May be worth emailing / ringing?

We have booked to go to a Thomson superfamily resort. Flying with thomson izzie gets 10kg of luggage and she will sit on our knee.

Because it's a superfamily resort you can prebook loads of extras and they are all mothercare supplied. You can book buggy, cot, playpen, steriliser, high chair, bottle warmer and they will be waiting in the room. We have gone for a full size cot £15 and a steam steriliser/kettle/bottle warmer for £10. I decided I would rather take my own pram x

I travelled with my twins from South Africa to Portugal when they were three months. The flight from South Africa to Frankfurt Germany was a night flight, so we asked for baby cots (see first picture) when we booked the tickets. However, this meant OH and I couldn’t sit next to each other but rather on opposite ends of the same row because only one cot can be attached on each aisle.

We than took a three hour flight from Frankfurt to Oporto, Portugal. During that flight, the babies had to sit on our lap (2nd pic) – once again, you and you OH will not be allowed to sit next to each other because of the air masks in the event of emergency landing (my OH sat with Clarissa in the seat in front of mine and Gabriel’s).

During both flights, we were allowed to take our stroller in the plane – it is a three piece with detachable carseats. At the door of the plan we simply folded it and left it out for the air hostesses to pack it away. Since we had our own car seats, that also meant when he hired a car we didn’t have to pay for additional car seats. If your buggy doesn’t have detachable car seats, go with the buggy alone (it is an absolute lifesaver on holiday when with twins – especially at the airport amidst all the chaos) to avoid excess luggage and hire car seats if you intend to rent a car. When organizing for transfer from the airport to the hotel make sure to mention that you will be traveling with twin babies as it could be required for them to sit in car seats. Oh yes, and take at least one sling with you if you can. My OH carried the one baby in the sling so that his hands were free to fold the buggy, carry the luggage and what not.

As for sterilising… we didn’t need to at all despite traveling for over 17 hours with twins. We simply took lots of empty and sterilised bottles in our hand luggage and measured formula in those formula carrying containers. All airports have changing rooms that also have taps with safe drinking water for babies. So anytime we needed to make bottles, we simply adjusted the water temperature on the taps, poured it in bottles, added formula and viola! The truth is, one of our flights was slightly delayed and we simply wouldn't have had time at the airport to sterilise bottles before catching a connecting flight. Once at the hotel you can use sterilising tablets for dirty bottles.

Remember to keep all you baby liquids together to make thing seasier at the security checkpoint. Although they are strict at controls, things are different when you have babies. You can go past control with full bottles of milk as long as you drink a little of it infront of security to prove that the milk is not chemicals (only if asked) and you can carry baby meds like panado, bum cream and so forth.

Most of what I wrote is useless info if you are not using an overnight flight or connecting flight, but since you didn't say where you are going throught I would indulge myself. Anywa, if you have any questions, you can PM me and I’ll gladly help where I can. I’ve been through it, survived and got the super mummy badge.

Attachments

• plane1.jpg
    plane1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 16
  • plane2.jpg
    plane2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 5
we are going on holiday in 3 weeks time..... we are going all inclusive.

* we are buying a cheap stroller for use around the resort
* I have a play shade, in case there isn't adequate shade for Lucy
* we are taking pre-made formula
* I am going to wash bottles in bathroom sink and then steralise with boiling water and sterlising tablets - using coffee pot in room
* Lucy is on soilds but just in case I can't find anything for her to eat, I am packing some ella's kitchen pouches
* our airline allows a luggage allowance for infants but she will sit on our lap for the flight

Can't wait!!

xx

I'd phone the airline you are flying with. I worked for emirates and we had baby basinets for flights or extra belt to secure baby on your lap. It varies with each airline.

Also regarding pram, some airlines charge, some don't.

For sterilising you could pack an electric one in ur LO's luggage allowance or take milton tablets. The only thing with the tablets is you will have to empty the sink to use it unless you buy a bucket for the beach when you get there and put them in that. I think the bags you can buy which contain a steriliser tablet will work out very expensive for 2 babies for the whole holiday.

I'm not too sure on the car seat as I've never been on a coach with 3point seatbelts x

I am going to the canaries in March with my LO who will be 8 months then, I have just called the travel agent, they said no need for a car seat as if it is a requirement for the hotel transfer then they should provide one. We get a 10kg allowance for her baggage and can bring a buggy free of charge. It is apparently best to pack tins of formula in luggage and bring the measured powder in containers with the water measured in the bottle and they may get you to taste it in security! In terms of food for her I am not going to pack anything as they sell jars out there and as we are going all inclusive she can just have what we are having mashed up and toast and finger food, yogurts etc.

What great responses, thank you all so much! You've helped loads xx

We don't know where we are going yet but somewhere just a couple of hours away, maybe somewhere like Spain, we don't want to be travelling too far just yet.

xxxx

What great responses, thank you all so much! You've helped loads xx

We don't know where we are going yet but somewhere just a couple of hours away, maybe somewhere like Spain, we don't want to be travelling too far just yet.

xxxx

You know what i didint think about a carseat for the transfer. We are flying to alicante airport then going to benidorm. I hope its by coach as them Spanish taxi drivers are mental on the road x

We flew to spain with DD when she was 5 months old.

We brought an umbrella stroller through the airports, it was great to have as we used it a lot - as a highchair for DD in the apartment, and as a bed (it went flat) when we went out to dinner after she was asleep.

We rented an apartment, and then got some supplies from a rental company - allkids4hire. We got a full cot, a steriliser, and a play gym. It made it a LOT easier. We also bought a tin of formula from them, and brought a second in our suitcase. having an apartment was great, as when DD was sleeping we didn't have to tiptoe around her. It also gave us a proper kitchen to clean the bottles. We were only starting food, so we brought a box of baby cereal and she only had a bit once a day. Any more though, you can buy jars locally, or share what you're eating (we recently flew to Canada and got delayed. In the hotel I gave DD toast fruit and yogurt from the breakfast buffet instead of using a jar, as we were running low on food).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->