Please help with my non-sleeping 1 year old!

MemmaJ

Reaction score
My little boy just turned 1 this week.
Since I returned to work almost 3 months ago, he has stopped sleeping through the night and wakes up multiple times throughout the night.

He goes to bed around 6.30pm and it'll start between 11pm and Midnight.
Initially it's usually enough to just go in and put his dummy back in (he still hasn't worked out to do it himself despite leaving several in his cot, trying dummy clips, etc). Very frustrating because he does know what to do (if he finds a dummy when he's awake, he'll put it straight in his mouth!), he just won't at night time. He doesn't have a dummy at any ther time, only at nap/sleep times.

75% of nights we also end up having to give him a bottle at some point around 4am because he'll just keep waking up every 45 minutes or so until we do.

So I don't know if it's hunger or just habit now..? He has a morning and evening bottle, and I also reintroduced an afternoon one a while ago, thinking that might help, He has 3 meals a day but maybe they're not big enough..?
A couple of months ago I tried increasing his meal sizes and it just became a bit of a battle but haven't tried again since.

His daytime naps when he's home with me are good - he has two fairly decent ones a day. When I'm at work (maximum 2 days a week) and he's with the childminder, it all goes a bit wrong and he sometimes only has one 20 minute nap all day because she just does her own thing. I know he eats very well there though.

He has a bedtime routine, blackout blind, a teddy/lovey that he's had since birth, I've gone up a nappy size and his bedroom is quiet and warm enough. I just don't know what else to do.

I briefly spoke to the Health Visitor about it when he had his 12 month check last week, and she said we just need to take the dummy away.
But before I do that (because it's going to be horrendous), I want to establish whether that's the problem or if it's hunger or something else.

I'm 8 weeks pregnant, suffering really badly with nausea and fatigue, working 13 hour shifts, and I'm absolutely exhausted.
I can't go on like this and I desperately want him sleeping through again ASAP or at least by the time the new baby comes!

Does anyone have any thoughts or techniques? I think I'd even be happy to try Cry It Out at this point (my partner is a bit of a wet blanket though and I'm not sure he could cope with it/would stick with it!)

Mmm sounds like if he is not napping in the child minders he could be overtired which can cause restless sleep asyourbody is pumped with adrenaline . If he sleeps fine when your off and not when he doesn't nap maybe that's it

If he sleeps fine when your off and not when he doesn't nap maybe that's it

He doesn't sleep fine when I'm off, this is every night :-(
He just has better naps in the day when I'm off, but he still doesn't sleep at night. So not sure if the damage is already done on those days: ie - because his days are not consistent enough (I work shifts so different days each week).

Maybe he doesn't need that many hours? Or rather he needs that much sleep, but spaced differently during the day so that he doesn't have to go for such a long stretch at night without eating. You could try putting him to bed later maybe? Or give him a bottle at midnight?

Look into Bunnies by the Bay.....lifesaver for us. We put 2 in the cot and he finds them himself.

My daughter just turned one and she doesn't sleep through the night either I have tried everything and nothing seems to change it, but I have asked a few friends who also had trouble with sleeping babies and most of them said in the end they let it run it course and eventually they just started sleeping through which I know not the answer your looking for but maybe he will eventually just sleep through that's what I am hoping for my daughter as I don't know what else I can do as I have done everything I can she just does her own thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->