Please help!

adzuki

Mom to Miss M.
Reaction score
Sorry this is copied from my journal, but I thought maybe someone in here might have some experience with this? I would love any and all input!!!

My 16 year old niece is developmentally delayed (she has Trisomy XX - i forget if it is 18 or 21, but it isn't down's syndrome, and looks normal except for smaller than normal eyes. She is functioning at about the same level as an 8 or 9 year old currently). She looooves babies and kids, and even wants to work at a daycare when she gets older.

The only problem is that Maia freaks out whenever she's around :( I don't know why, and I don't know what to do. At first we could blame it on teething, but it is becoming sooo obvious as Maia is passed around to everyone and smiles and laughs for everyone but screams in terror for my niece :( It is heartbreaking to see. Today, Jessica (niece) said that maybe Maia didn't like the highlights she got in her hair and that's why she is screaming :(

Today, I tried to be near Maia whenever Jess was around, but she just kept escalating so I finally had to remove her and calm her down in another room. Once she was calm, I brought Jess in to watch her play and had her sit a bit far away - Maia looked scared and fussed a bit, but didn't freak. She stayed fussy until they left though.

I just don't know what to do - tomorrow is Maia's "1st Birthday" party (we're celebrating in advance so the family can be there).

Anyone have any experience in this, or any advice what I can do other than be glued to Maia while they are here? I would really love it if Maia could become at least a bit used to Jess, so that she could feel safe enough to be in the same room!!!

Thanks!

A

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"