please read. Charlie or Charles on birth certificate?!

rhii

Reaction score
Okay so we found out we are having a boy on Monday and we are trying to decide what to put on his birth certificate. Charlie was the name we were planning on using after my unclewho passed away. BUT I would also like to incorporate my dad's name ...he is Charles too (my uncle was Charles, but went by Charlie). If I do incorporate my dad's name then my fiance wants to use his dad's as well (Johnathan). So it would be Charles Johnathan on the birth certificate, but everyone would call him Charlie. my problem is I really prefer Charlie to Charles. But if we just use Charlie then I can't incorporate my dad's name...so we would use an alternate middle name. My fiance prefers we do Charles johnathan since that honors everyone and since he will be known as Charlie anyway ...I love that idea, but just can't seem to warm up to Charles.

Help lol ..need opinions/advice

I like the idea of having a full name for a first name instead of a nickname (like naming baby Jake instead of Jacob or Jimmy instead of James)... so I would prefer the Charles Johnathan best. When he's an adult he may prefer being called Charles rather than Charlie?

And I love the idea that using that name will honor both fathers. I would just start calling your little boy Charlie right away to establish that as his name. Good luck :flower:.

It makes sense to name him Charles Jonathon to honor both of your fathers and then his nickname will be Charlie, and like PP said, he may want to be called Charles as he gets older, or hey he might even want to be called "Chuck".

Just call him Charlie if that's what you like best, but on paperwork I would keep Charles. It's more professional when he becomes older too.

Random comment, but just had to read that twice seeing as your Uncle and Dad are both named Charles, lol...So I'm hoping they weren't brothers!?!

thanks ladies! Haha..No, they weren't brothers lol. My mom's brother was Charlie and she married my dad who happened to have the same name as her little brother

We have an Oliver who is always called Ollie, i prefer a full name on birth certificates i never introduce him as Oliver always Ollie its really just incase he becomes prime minister or something he has a strong masculine name :) xx

Charles :flower:

To the PP, I wish we had put Ollies name down as Oliver on the birth certificate for that reason too! x

I agree with everyone else so far, I'd put the "proper" name on the birth certificate. Charlie is a great name to be called by your family and friends, but there might be situations where he prefers to have a more formal name to use (e.g. in situations where he's trying to command respect, like job interviews or if he was to become a judge, doctor, business man, politician...). I quite like Charles for a grown man btw, it's strong and classic.

Charles, you could always use Charlie as the nickname and Charles would seem a bit more formal :flower:

I agree with everyone else and think Charles would be better on the BC. X

Me too. It sounds distinguished and as a PP said there are numerous situations in adult life where he may want to sound professional/distinguished. I couldn't imagine a "Charlie" standing up to speak at a board meeting but could a "Charles" :) x

I'd put Charles, then when he gets older he can decide what he likes to be called.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->