PLEASE READ: Faulty BBT thermometers on the market

Soili

Reaction score
Ok, a BBT thermometer issue has been brought up by Nayr29. It seems there are a lot of BBT thermometers, different brands, that read same numbers and cannot be trusted when charting. Check your chart to see if you're getting a lot of same numbers and nothing in between.

When it comes to Fahrenheit ones, it looks like popular numbers are these: 96.80, 97.18, 97.33, 97.45, 97.73

There's likely to be an issue with Celsius ones as well. Report if you noticed something about yours! I'll edit the post, when we get some information.

The brands in question so far are:

1. Walgreens Basal Digital Thermometer Fast Reading
2. Those from eBay and Amazon.co.uk (sold by eBay user "fertilityplan" or "Home Health (UK) Ltd." on Amazon.co.uk ). Brand is "Eon" or "Geon" or "+eon".
They look like this:
https://www.zoombaby.co.uk/image/obj482geo456pg20p3.png

I've contacted the ebay seller "fertilityplan" (registered as "Home Health (UK) Ltd." on Amazon.co.uk), who I bought the thermometer from about this issue. They refuse to admit that there's something wrong with the thermometer and blame me for not temping properly. BEWARE!!

Spread the word!

I usually wake up on my own, without alarm. But I set it to 6.30, especially for BBT. The thing is I often get very light sleep in the morning, when I'm aware I'm not really fast sleep anymore, but don't wanna wake up yet. So I'm kinda resting in bed and lightly dreaming. Should I temp as soon as I become aware it's morning, even though it's not time yet and I don't plan on getting up? Or should I wait for the alarm?

I tried avoiding that issue by temping in the middle of the night, but that backfired. I started sleeping poorly through the whole night, and I then read on FF that it's really not advised to do it any other time then your normal wake up time.

I set my alarm for 640 temp in the dark (mine beeps) switch it off go back to sleep and read it when I get up. I keep thermometer under my pillow so its easy reach. I too have had mornings like you described and lay there scared to move till the alarm goes off, I also still have slight fluctuations in my chart so would be interested to see what other people suggest. Another thing for me is by 5am i can almost guarantee i'll be at the loo so thought about changing my alarm to that time instead.

Hi! I do the same! Keep the thermometer under the pillow and temp in the dark, but then I can't help to check the result after it stops beeping ;)

The danger with moving it to an earlier hour for me would be that I'll start naturally waking up even earlier. I thought 3am would be a safe bet. Two weeks on, I started waking up in the middle of the night on my own, pretty much every night, sometimes an hour before the alarm, screwing up the whole thing.

I chart the same time every day at around 6am. DH wakes me up when his alarm goes off, sticks it in my mouth and then texts me the result and I see it when I wake up.

One thing we're noticing is that we keep getting the same results over and over. Here are my 22 or so temps this cycle sorted in order from lowest to highest. Notice the bolded numbers and how often they have appeared. Anyone else have this?

Temp

Oh! I have this! I know for sure 97.73 popped up quite a few times! Also 97.33 and 97.18.

I got mine for ebay, looks like this:

https://www.zoombaby.co.uk/image/obj482geo456pg20p3.png

Well isn't that interesting? Mine is a pink one from Walgreens. Perhaps our BBT thermometers are the problem?

Hi! I do the same! Keep the thermometer under the pillow and temp in the dark, but then I can't help to check the result after it stops beeping ;)

The danger with moving it to an earlier hour for me would be that I'll start naturally waking up even earlier. I thought 3am would be a safe bet. Two weeks on, I started waking up in the middle of the night on my own, pretty much every night, sometimes an hour before the alarm, screwing up the whole thing.

I never though of that I'd prob be the same. Also OH is a terrible sleeper so he'd prob be up even longer. My alarm goes off 10mins before his lol. I have slept right through his loads of times so i need my own.

Well isn't that interesting? Mine is a pink one from Walgreens. Perhaps our BBT thermometers are the problem?

I don't know, but it's weird, isn't it??

Here's mine from this cycle (it's been a loooong one):

I pretty much have all your numbers and same ones repeated! Definitely many 97.33, 97.45 and 97.73! I mean, what are the odds?? Shouldn't there be 97.32 and 97.34 as well, for example??

I never though of that I'd prob be the same. Also OH is a terrible sleeper so he'd prob be up even longer. My alarm goes off 10mins before his lol. I have slept right through his loads of times so i need my own.

Yeah, I think this thing in my head, like a mental clock or something ;) If trained to wake up at the same time for a week, it's gonna do it on its own. Very inconvenient when trying to chart BBT.

Interesting. I have that same one and I get 96.8 and 97.18 a lot!

I've been charting just over a month now, OH wakes up at 5am 6 days a week so I usually take my temp then and go back to sleep. Mine beeps so I check it when I wake up. But then sometimes I don't wake up when his alarm goes off. And obviously on his day off he doesn't set his alarm and wouldn't appreciate being woken up at 5 on the 1 day he gets to lie in!! Temping is much more complicated than I originally thought!!

I do some statistics with work and this is definitely not something that would happen just by chance. I would love to get some more information on this and see if it truly is a thermometer issue.

I do some statistics with work and this is definitely not something that would happen just by chance. I would love to get some more information on this and see if it truly is a thermometer issue.

I think it IS a thermometer issue. I just did some googling and this thermometer has terrible reviews, many mentioning that it just spits out these same numbers. https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-basal-digital-thermometer/ID=prod4130206-product

I am sooooo disappointed, and now feel as thought I've just been wasting my time!

Ok, so basically I can throw a whole month of charting out of the window!

Nayr29, thank you so much for bring this up! I did notice the same numbers for some time, but never thought of blaming the thermometer. Mine is different from yours, but they must be making those in the same factory or using same chips, because my numbers are same as yours.

Question now though - which one CAN you trust???

Nayr29, thank you so much for bring this up! I did notice the same numbers for some time, but never thought of blaming the thermometer. Mine is different from yours, but they must be making those in the same factory or using same chips, because my numbers are same as yours.

Doubt it's much help but mine came from Boots x

I may be overreacting, but I totally feel devastated by this. :cry:

I may just go buy an old fashioned, not digital thermometer. Ugh!

Wow! All the same numbers keep popping up for everyone. This thing is a piece of junk and seems to be all over the place so can't really trust it. So now, I have no idea if I truly had an anov month or not? Good news is, we have been :sex: just about every other day this cycle so we got our bases covered. :thumbup:

I renamed the thread to bring attention to this. Kinda makes my original question worthless, because there's a whole bigger issue out there ;)

Doubt it's much help but mine came from Boots x

Not to me, unless they have online store?? ;) But I'm sure others would appreciate to know this!

Ok, a BBT thermometer issue has been brought up by Nayr29. It seems there are a lot of BBT thermometers, different brands, that read same numbers and cannot be trusted when charting. Check your chart to see if you're getting a lot of same numbers and nothing in between.

Seems like popular numbers are these: 97.18, 97.33, 97.45, 97.73

I usually wake up on my own, without alarm. But I set it to 6.30, especially for BBT. The thing is I often get very light sleep in the morning, when I'm aware I'm not really fast sleep anymore, but don't wanna wake up yet. So I'm kinda resting in bed and lightly dreaming. Should I temp as soon as I become aware it's morning, even though it's not time yet and I don't plan on getting up? Or should I wait for the alarm?

I tried avoiding that issue by temping in the middle of the night, but that backfired. I started sleeping poorly through the whole night, and I then read on FF that it's really not advised to do it any other time then your normal wake up time.

Don't forget 96.8!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"