Please share early scan experiences xx

princessvix

Reaction score
Has anyone had an early 8 weeks scan?

I have been considering it for my husbands birthday present (something he has asked for!) but having read some horror stories on here about doc/nurses not finding heartbeats its adding to my fear of going for an early one....

I had a MC at 6-7weeks in 2007, think this is also adding to my nerves... I know in the USA they have early scans etc...

Does anyone have any experiences they are willing to share regarding early scans? Did you hear a heartbeat? What did you see? Are you willing to show your scan photos??

Many thanks xxx

Scan pic is from 7 weeks 6 days I think. The experience was mixed as it was had due to bad cramping. To be honest, I didn't really see a lot and you can't see much in the picture other than a blob. I did see the heartbeat though, but you could obviously only see it when at the scan. Is it worth getting it done for hubby's birthday? It'd be better to book one and bring him along, he'll get to see more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 13
Scan pic is from 7 weeks 6 days I think. The experience was mixed as it was had due to bad cramping. To be honest, I didn't really see a lot and you can't see much in the picture other than a blob. I did see the heartbeat though, but you could obviously only see it when at the scan. Is it worth getting it done for hubby's birthday? It'd be better to book one and bring him along, he'll get to see more.

He wants to come along to the Scan for his birthday, which I think is a really sweet thing to ask for. I thought he was going to ask for the PS4 hahaha.... But told me, all he wants for his birthday is to hear is childs heart beating! Thank you for sharing your scan photo and experience. I just dont want to get there and them to tell me BabyT doesnt have a heartbeat [-o<

Unless your dates are off you should be able to see the heartbeat at 8w! There won't be much detail though - the difference if you waited just a few weeks for a scan (10-12 weeks) is really significant. It's just a blob at around 8w, but looks like a wee baby only a few weeks later. But your OH will still get to see the HB - that's so sweet of him BTW! :hugs:

We had a private scan at 8 weeks with my son and with this baby (although this wasn't private - I had some bleeding). Both times, we saw heartbeat. You can't really see that much but it's still a really lovely experience. Especially with our son as he was very longed for as took a very long time to conceive (not that this baby isn't longed for - he just took a lot less time to jump on board). I'd had a miscarriage 3 years before we finally fell pregnant with him so it was a really lovely experience. I've attached pics. Both were around the 8 week mark. First pic is of my son which is the private one and the second is of baby number 2 x

Attachments

• 8 weeks.jpg
    8 weeks.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 8
  • baby2.jpg
    baby2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 9
Is it dangerous? I thought it might carry risks early on.

I wasn't going to do any scans, only 1'at 20 weeks, but then the couldn't find the heartbeat at 12 weeks with the Doppler so I went in or a super quick scan that confirmed that baby's alive and well. I guess I'm saying I tend to avoid unnecessary medical interventions but I also see how it could be very useful sometimes

Is it dangerous? I thought it might carry risks early on.

I wasn't going to do any scans, only 1'at 20 weeks, but then the couldn't find the heartbeat at 12 weeks with the Doppler so I went in or a super quick scan that confirmed that baby's alive and well. I guess I'm saying I tend to avoid unnecessary medical interventions but I also see how it could be very useful sometimes

I had tons of tons of scans due to bleeding staring at 5 weeks. Sometimes I had 2 scans a week, especially in the first trimester. I don't know if it was unsafe or not, but everything seemed fine and I had a healthy baby girl! My dr does a couple early dating scans, and does a scan every appointment. None of the people I know who see him have had issues from the scans, so personally I wouldn't be worried, but obviously you have to do what you are comfortable with!

To the OP- yes you should definitely see everything at 8 weeks. What a great bday present!!

I went for a private scans at 7 +4 and they measured and saw a heartbeat but wouldn't let me hear it or measure it. I complained as all their competitors do it and they had
Some that with my early scan for my DS and they gave me a
quick rescan at 8+3. There they measured and had a quick look that all looked ok, no ectopic, saw a CL cyst on right ovary (so I knew which side I ovulated from), showed beginnings of umbilical cord working and heard heart beat and measured it.

Thank you so much for your responses, I will double check that the scans are safe, but I know that in the states its common practice to have early ones, think the NHS save money by not doing them early unless there are complications.
I will be just 8 weeks on the date thats available, then the NHS give you a scan about 12/13 weeks dependant on availability.
My husband knows it will look sort of blob like/alien like on the 8 week scan but all he wants to hear is a heartbeat...

Think I will book it in, they are so reasonable £99 for 30 mins.

Thank you again to each and everyone of you xx

I was about 6w5d when i went for a scan with my first pregnacy, heart was beating clear as day and could hear it also

They say 30 minutes but will probably be more like 5-10 as they can't really show you a huge amount x

I booked up today and I'm very much looking forward to our early scan now on the 27th I'll be a 7weeks and 5 days then.... My husband is ecstatic... Thank you all xxx

I'm getting one at 9 weeks privately as last year I went for the 12 week scan & the baby had died at 8 weeks + 4, so if that has happened again I don't want to spend a month not knowing. The nhs said they'd give me one due to that but due to my work its been easier to get one on a Saturday which I need to go private for.

I'm getting one at 9 weeks privately as last year I went for the 12 week scan & the baby had died at 8 weeks + 4, so if that has happened again I don't want to spend a month not knowing. The nhs said they'd give me one due to that but due to my work its been easier to get one on a Saturday which I need to go private for.

Sorry to hear your last pregnancy didn't go to plan, I had a miscarriage at 6/7weeks when I was 21. Think thats half the reason Im so nervous about the scan! (I've never had one before...) Thank you for sharing your own experience with me xxx

I had an early scan with my first at 7 weeks due to bleeding. Could see a blob with a strong heartbeat and measurements were taken also :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->