Please tell me driving gets easier!

pandacub

Proud mummy to Jacob
Reaction score
I feel like I've posted lots of driving related threads recently, so sorry for another!

So as the title says, please tell me driving gets easier?! I mean, I know logically that it must do and it's a matter of practice, but I just cannot Wait to be able to just jump in my car and not even think about it. At the moment, I'm still a bit nervous and plan each journey in my head thoroughly before I set off. Theres nothing in particular I'm atrocious at.. I've stalled a fair few times (in front of a police car yesterday!!) but I'm getting better, I can passably park but tend to panic.
Especially today, I was parked in a supermarket car park, and a car had parked really close next to me on a bit of a slant, so I was terrified I was going to hit it on the way out :|

Anyway, how long until you started to feel more confident?

I think it's just practice. I'm a new driver too and I still would rather pay for parking where I know there's loads of space rather than park on a street for free. I also panic about someone parking close. Xx

It does get easier, i've been driving for about 6/7 years now and I definitely don't think about it too much anymore. It's only recently that i've got confident reverse bay parking and parallel parking though. I'm an anxious person so driving somewhere I don't know will play on my mind (mainly because I think i'll get lost). But otherwise i'm totally fine and I used to hate driving! xx

Just keep practicing honestly it does get easier x

It honestly does. I was terrible but now I do a 3hr drive including an hour on the m25 once a week x

100% it will get easier! I was exactly the same this time last year! I was petrified, dreaded going out and always had to over think about parking etc

I was actually thinking about it recently how much I hated it at first to the point I wanted to give up! the more you drive the easier it gets! Don't give up x

It does get easier. I asked the same question when I passed over a year ago.
I'm still not fantastic at parking so that's does worry me a little still but nowhere near as much as it did.
I would say drive drive drive to get your confidence up :hugs:

It definitely gets easier, I've been driving 13 and a half years now but for the first couple of years I was terrified as I was only driving at weekends when I was home from uni, it took me a year to be confident enough to take my car a couple of hours up the M1 to uni but once I did and started driving more regularly I felt much better. I used to feel particularly anxious about getting in the wrong lane and not being able to get where we needed. now I honestly love driving and it's hard to think back to times like when I couldn't get off the right exit on the ring road to get to my new uni house so went round about 9 times and had to give up and drive two hours home. Am sure you are not that bad at least!

I still plan my routes if its not to one of my usual destinations but, in terms of the driving itself it definitely gets easier, much much easier! To me anything was better than those awful driving lessons though...i hated learning!

Oh and 6 years on I atoll avoid reversing if I can! I simply don't have that part of the brain :haha:

Thanks everyone! I had a pretty good day of driving today, didn't stall once and managed to set off smoothly (almost) every time :) and it was rush hour stop start traffic so lots of it too!
I do drive every day so hopefully I'll pick up confidence quickly :)

I stalled last week....on a hill in a multi story car park....eeeek. If was fine the folk behind just have to wait :haha:

It does get easier. I passed my test about 5 years ago then didn't drive for about 18 months. Then I drove all the time until I hit a kerb and damaged the car so we got a new one that I hate to drive I have no confidence whatsoever and have panic attacks at the thought of driving bt once I'm behind the shell I'm usually fine. Reverse parking i try to avoid and I haven't carried out a single test manoeuvre since I took my test.

That makes me sound like a terrible driver lol. I'm not that bad. I hit the kerb taking ds to the out of hours Dr at about 2 in the morning and he had a coughing fit in the back so I was checking on him in the mirror and drifted over and whacked the kerb.

It does! I've been driving since July and don't get nervous or panic about unknown roads or where to park x

I still occasionally stall, I think all drivers do!

I actually find it much easier to reverse into a space rather than to drive in unless it's a big parent and child space x

I actually find it much easier to reverse into a space rather than to drive in unless it's a big parent and child space x

Me too! If I'm parking between two cars I would rather reverse in :)

Oh god, I got myself into a right jam parking today!! It was literally the only space available, I got in ok (had to drive in) but coming out my friend had to guide me, one inch at a time!
I'm going to asda car park in the morning to practice my reverse bay, I do actually find it easier to back in but I lose confidence if it's busy.

I've been driving for over 10 years. I still can't parallel park but I don't do it often enough to practice.

I still stall the car every now and again. Most drivers, whatever their experience, will stall their car. I don't get nervous anymore, I tend to just swear at the car lol.

As soon as I passed my test, I started driving to work every day. About 10mile drive in rush hour. It was quite nerve wrecking at first (I stuck to the bus route for months in case I got lost taking another route!)

It does get easier though. I'd say a few months until you feel confident (as in get into the car & not think about)

Me too! If I'm parking between two cars I would rather reverse in :)

Yep it's much easier that way especially when leaving as you don't have to worrying about reversing out etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->