plus size and ttc over 35

mummyb2b

Reaction score
i'm 36 and size 22-24 and worried that this may be causing its own problems ttc in addition to the age ones! i know that as soon as i have my bfp i will have the determination to make sure everything that passes my lips is going to be something healthy for the baby, but whilst i'm feeling stressed, i just cant seem to muster the determination to do anything for me now and as noone has yet said the weight is a problem officially i cant seem to get it in my head! i know i should loose weight for my own sake aswell as ttc but i just seem to have o will power at the mo.

is anyone else out there like me or got any tips/advice and has any experiences they can share please?

Yup, Im there..I have PCOS so I struggle with weight too:shrug:. I got pg with my first child at 32, one month post wedding. I had lost about 35 lbs and my cycles which are normally wacked decided for once to be almost normal. I really do think that weightloss helped a huge amount for that time. This time around Im fighting old eggs, weight (though I have dropped 30lbs again) and some light stress. I wish you luck!!

Hi mummyb2b! I understand what you are going through! I was obese (I got up to size 20 and 227 lbs and I'm 5'4") and I was starting to experience anovulatory and irregular cycles, so my weight was definitely a factor, as when I was lighter I had normal periods. I kept trying and trying to lose weight on my own, and I could lose a few pounds, but I would just gain it back and then some. Last year in August, I had weight loss surgery at 223 lbs, and now I'm down to 122 lbs, and my cycles have regulated, although they have gotten shorter and lighter. In fact, I got one in the hospital, and since surgery they have gone from 31-33 days to 26-28 days in recent months. I had the surgery for health reasons; I had extremely high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and was starting to become diabetic. Plus the irregular cycles and I wanted another baby, and I knew with my age (34; I'll be 35 in July) I only had a few good years left to ttc. Weight loss surgery is a drastic step, and one to be taken only after a lot of consideration, but in my situation, it was right for me, and I am happy I did it.

That being said, while being overweight or underweight can definitely impact fertility and also pregnancy risks, there are plus-size women who conceive naturally and have healthy pregnancies and babies, even over 35. So don't give up hope! I wish you the best of luck and lots of babydust!

Hi, I am in the same boat... Very obese, desperate for a baby, but for some reason, I just can't get motivated to diet. I have set a goal of losing 5st by oct/nov with a plan to ttc at this time. Although, even if I lost 5st, I would not be at a heathy weight (19st) but do not have the luxury of time, I am 35 in august.

Sarah x

I am 39 and overweight. I fear the same thing. I just started TTC in April and im on my second IUI. i cant get motivated to lose weight. I want to eat healthy and know how to I just dont. I have considered a weight loss program to up my odds because im short on time and fertility treatments are expensive. I just wanted you to know I feel for you.

Somedays I think stuff it and try for a baby now, but too be honest I would be petrified of telling my doctor I was pregnant and so over weight. I started opk on the 12 day of my cycle this month day 18 and no red line....now I am worried that I don't ovulate :(

hi guys

I went through the same stresses end of last year when my partner decided he was ready to start a family. I was 91 kilos, I am 164cm so in the obese category I think my BMI was 33 or 34. I started putting on weight after a car accident and just didn't make the decsn to get it off. Of course none wants to be obese I felt awful on so many levels but when I read about what pregnancy would mean for me physically and the implications for the child I went to code red.I walked into a pharmacy and signed up for a diet regimen then I joined a small gym with a qualified personal trainer.

I can tell you it required planning and constant reminding of my goals but after the first 6 - 8 weeks of working out I started to feel really great. I am 75 kilos and my BMI is 28 so I am no longer obese. I still have 8-10 kilos to hit my goal weight. I run every other day and I feel fantastic. I sleep better , my cycles are regular, no PMS, my skin is clear the benefits are endless.

I want you to know that if I can do it anyone can. I amazed myself and so can you :hugs::hugs::hugs:

I guess everyone is different but for me I focused on wanting to give any child I conceived the best chance in life and to make sure I was going to be healthy enough to be there. Its a reality so I would remind myself everyday by looking at articles of what would happen if I didn't make the change.

One more thing. It is a process and all that matters is to make a start :hugs:
Maybe we should help each other out and set some goals and support each other through it, it always helps to know you are not alone :)

Madeline xxx

Hi madeline,

Thanks for you message....very inspirational. I am joining a gym tomorrow and you are right I need the think about the effects my weight will have on a baby. If i really tried hard I could get to a more acceptable weight by the end of the year. I just need to think about my goal :). How is everyone else doing? mummyb2b hope you don't think I am taking over your thread/journal. I can move elsewhere if you want :)

hey bitsysarah good on you thats awesome! if you can get yourself some pt sessions so you can get someone to push you and help establish the habit to get you through the first couple of months while you find your feet. The key thing in the gym is weights, learning the technique so you get it right and don't hurt yourself and building muscle. Noone can build enough muscle just running or cycling etc you have to do weights. My pt is a former olympic medalist he trains athletes. I have learned alot from him, in particular the fact that all athletes do weights to excel in their sport.

I started with 2 x 30 min weights sessions a week. if you have a good pt you can burn 600 calories in each session. They are designed so they have some cardio to keep my heart rate up simple things like for e.g. 1 minute sprint on an elliptical trainer or 1 minute sprint on a rower then a series of sets with weights., no stopping in between.

In between times I walked my dogs everyday for say 4km and after a while i was walking faster then I broke into a jog and since then i have been running. Running is a complex activity so you need to work up to it but you may prefer just fast walking or cycling.

After 3 mths I started doing 3 gym sessions a week. My body shape has completely changed I have lost 16 cm from my waist and in the first month alone I dropped 6 cm from each thigh. Which reminds me measurements are really important as you put on muscle they are what really count.:)

Madeline xxx

Thank you everyone who has commented it really does help to know i'm not alone and maybe we could all try keep each other inspired?

Hi madeline,

Thanks for you message....very inspirational. I am joining a gym tomorrow and you are right I need the think about the effects my weight will have on a baby. If i really tried hard I could get to a more acceptable weight by the end of the year. I just need to think about my goal :). How is everyone else doing? mummyb2b hope you don't think I am taking over your thread/journal. I can move elsewhere if you want :)

no not at all stay here so we can all stick together!!!

hi guys

I went through the same stresses end of last year when my partner decided he was ready to start a family. I was 91 kilos, I am 164cm so in the obese category I think my BMI was 33 or 34. I started putting on weight after a car accident and just didn't make the decsn to get it off. Of course none wants to be obese I felt awful on so many levels but when I read about what pregnancy would mean for me physically and the implications for the child I went to code red.I walked into a pharmacy and signed up for a diet regimen then I joined a small gym with a qualified personal trainer.

I can tell you it required planning and constant reminding of my goals but after the first 6 - 8 weeks of working out I started to feel really great. I am 75 kilos and my BMI is 28 so I am no longer obese. I still have 8-10 kilos to hit my goal weight. I run every other day and I feel fantastic. I sleep better , my cycles are regular, no PMS, my skin is clear the benefits are endless.

I want you to know that if I can do it anyone can. I amazed myself and so can you :hugs::hugs::hugs:

I guess everyone is different but for me I focused on wanting to give any child I conceived the best chance in life and to make sure I was going to be healthy enough to be there. Its a reality so I would remind myself everyday by looking at articles of what would happen if I didn't make the change.

One more thing. It is a process and all that matters is to make a start :hugs:
Maybe we should help each other out and set some goals and support each other through it, it always helps to know you are not alone :)

Madeline xxx

thank you for that inspirational story madeline it really has got me thinking! i think i have been blaming it on the fact i have been quite stressed and couldnt possible add something to that stress! well actually by doing this, it could possibly help to reduce some of the stress (not all as we selling 2 houses & buying another all at same time so not going to change that) buy hey its gotta be worth a try and it will help my baby when i do manage to get pregnant too! Thank you!

hi mummyb2b you are totally right the effect of weight loss and working out is actually to reduce stress and make you better able to cope with it. I have found I feel stronger not just physically but psychologically. I am calmer and when I feel the pressure I go for a run now and the physical activity cures me of the stress.

I hope you decide to get a pt and start gym training. If you do make sure you interview them to find someone who understands it is a process and will push you hard enough. Set clear goals i.e. measuring every month for e.g. so you can benchmark your progress its very motivating :) :hugs:

Madeline xxx

Hi,

I joined the gym today....30 lengths of the pool. Not bad since I haven't exercised in years. I plan on doing a class tomorrow night beginners step/abs. Exercise is going well, food intake is not . Will be joining slimming world tomorrow

I have had some scary nightmares these past couple of nights. Not sure if that is because I am reducing my sleeping medication (in preparation for ttc). I suffer from extreme insomnia.... Not looking forward to not being able to fall asleep....but it has got to be done, my gp has said that if I continue to take it when pregnant my baby
with suffer with withdrawal at birth.

Day 21 of a 29 day cycle and still ovulation. ... Getting worried

hi bitysarah omg I am so proud of you that is awesome! You won't believe what you are capable of :hugs:

I suffered from really bad insomnia myself for a quite a while it was awful. This is wat worked for me, getting some early morning sun with a 20 minute walk and staying out of the light in the late afternoon. Another really pivotal move was giving up caffeine. It had a profound effect on me. You will find the more you work out the more tired you will feel at night and the better you will sleep.

I can't wait to hear how you get on. Remember to keep moving so add in afternoon walks when you have time just 30 mins to break a sweat is fabulous :hugs:

Madeline xx

Ive had my second failed IUI so I joined the YMCA today to lose weight and gain health.

Jandk good luck at the YMCA ..... I am going to a hen night on Saturday and every dress I tried on I looked like a whale..so I have decided to put the sleep med reduction, folic acid and opk on hold and concentrate on losing weight.....my weight holds me back so much in life :( I can't do the things I want to do....sorry feeling a bit sorry for myself today :(. Keep up the good work girls :)

Hi ladies I hope you don't mind me popping by? I'm a size 20 and aged 39. I concieved on the 24th cycle (male factor issues) I was just starting to accept that i would have to lose weight for treatment as my bmi is too high and I found the more I thought about diets the more stressed i became the more I would eat! While being a 20 isn't ideal but all i can do is manage my weight througout my pregnancy and at 11+3 i've not gained anything. So something is working.
The things i did do were yoga and reduced the meat in my diet and ate regular meals.

I wish all you lovely ladies the very best of luck in your ttc journeys x

Ps. i hope i haven't offended anyone by posting here?

Not offended. im 39 and size 20 and have decided to work towards better health...I am still trying to conceive. its an emotional roller coaster...

Not offended. im 39 and size 20 and have decided to work towards better health...I am still trying to conceive. its an emotional roller coaster...

I know just what you mean :hugs: Good luck with your better health goals sound like a great plan x

Can I join
I'm 40 and a size 16-18 (USA size)
In dec I had a 4 cm ovarian cyst my dr agreed to put me on metformin
I rejoined weight watcher and got back into running and returned to the gym
Doh joined both also

I'm down 35 lbs my cyst is gone and my cycles seem normal
I still need to loose another 40-60 to be at a healthy weight
I'm hoping the weight loss and activity will help us in ttc

Ladies another size 18/20 here ,joined slimming world two weeks ago and have lost 9 pounds ,had also lost almost a stone myself and I need to lose another36 pound for August ,hope we can all support each other thru our journeys :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->