plus size and ttc over 35

I am 38 and am about 14.5 stones so quite a bit overweight. I am in the obese category of the BMI. I have PCOS and dieting just doesn't do the job. I have to exercise a tonne and with 2 kiddos now at home, working FT and looking after them when I get home, I just don't have the time to go to the gym 5 times a week.

I have conceived 4 times and have always been this weight!

I too am in the shall we say large catagory....my OH calls it voluptuous scumptious lol....Size 18-20, but i've been with slimming world since Nov and have lost 2 1/2 stone, and continue to go so hopfully will lose some more before a BFP.

While i do think some reports can be exagerated around weight and pregnancy- being more healthly can't ever be a bad thing!

I go to the gym 3 times a week, but stopped when i found out i was pregnant before my mc, hoping to start back again soon.

Good luck on the loses ladies- its not an easy task- but definately an achievable one :)

I am the only one not planning on losing weight just yet. I guess I have been lucky so far so we will see how TTC goes in the next few cycles, then I plan on losing all the weight after my last child. I don't want to work so hard at losing weight then put it all back on again with a pregnancy! I would like to lose about 40lbs then re evaluate from there.

I am the only one not planning on losing weight just yet. I guess I have been lucky so far so we will see how TTC goes in the next few cycles, then I plan on losing all the weight after my last child. I don't want to work so hard at losing weight then put it all back on again with a pregnancy! I would like to lose about 40lbs then re evaluate from there.
I can see how that makes sense

Hey guys,

Glad to see there are others out there, I am beginning to think 70lbs loss by November is a little too optimistic. I have only been following sw properly since Thursday and even did well at a hen party in Cardiff this week......I didn't drink and chose healthy food options. Haven't been to gym this past week, I have proper induction on Wednesday so I may wait till then. How is everyone else getting on? Weigh on on Thursday....I want to lose 5lb my mini goal for the week.

Goddess, I'm not losing weight to get pregnant. I started because i want to get healthier. If i get pregnant again i'll continue to follow SW to try and remain as healthy as possible, so hopefullly i'll gain just pregnancy weight.
:) Id probably think your way if i was only 14 1/2 stone lol...

Hey guys,

Glad to see there are others out there, I am beginning to think 70lbs loss by November is a little too optimistic. I have only been following sw properly since Thursday and even did well at a hen party in Cardiff this week......I didn't drink and chose healthy food options. Haven't been to gym this past week, I have proper induction on Wednesday so I may wait till then. How is everyone else getting on? Weigh on on Thursday....I want to lose 5lb my mini goal for the week.

Hun, just stick with it and don't put too much pressure on yourself- a loss is a loss after all, whethers its 1lb or 5! Good luck :)

Hi ladies I hope you don't mind me popping by? I'm a size 20 and aged 39. I concieved on the 24th cycle (male factor issues) I was just starting to accept that i would have to lose weight for treatment as my bmi is too high and I found the more I thought about diets the more stressed i became the more I would eat! While being a 20 isn't ideal but all i can do is manage my weight througout my pregnancy and at 11+3 i've not gained anything. So something is working.
The things i did do were yoga and reduced the meat in my diet and ate regular meals.

I wish all you lovely ladies the very best of luck in your ttc journeys x

Ps. i hope i haven't offended anyone by posting here?

no not at all! can i ask a question though, hope you dont mind, but are you showing pregnant as yet? just wondered if i was to get pregnant now would i just look fat or would i actually have a pregnant belly? i would love to have a photo of me and my husband with me and a big bump before our baby came along!

Thank goodness I'm not alone! hello all you lovely ladies :flower::flower:

I am 39 - been ttc for 2 years for #1

Had lot of tests done on the NHS - all the tests they did came back ok with me, only now I am finding out maybe I don't ovulate every cycle? and i am not sure if my progesterone levels are very good? DH sperm count was not so great but 2nd one it had got better but still below ( he has 2 children from a previous relationship, that was a few years ago now) - in the end they said our problem was unexplained infertility and that my hubby had to stop smoking and drinking and I had to loose weight!

I have in fact, since we last saw that doctor put on weight. I guess stress and being unhappy that I am not getting pregnant is partly to do with it - but ultimately I can only blame myself! :nope:

We are starting IVF and have our first appointment this month and my BMI has to be below a certain number so i need to check exactly what I am and do something quickly....

It would be great if we could all support one another in our quest to loose some lbs for those of us who do want to and would like support.

Love and hugs to you all xx

Had lot of tests done on the NHS - all the tests they did came back ok with me, only now I am finding out maybe I don't ovulate every cycle? and i am not sure if my progesterone levels are very good? DH sperm count was not so great but 2nd one it had got better but still below ( he has 2 children from a previous relationship, that was a few years ago now) - in the end they said our problem was unexplained infertility and that my hubby had to stop smoking and drinking and I had to loose weight!

I have in fact, since we last saw that doctor put on weight. I guess stress and being unhappy that I am not getting pregnant is partly to do with it - but ultimately I can only blame myself! :nope:

We are starting IVF and have our first appointment this month and my BMI has to be below a certain number so i need to check exactly what I am and do something quickly....

It would be great if we could all support one another in our quest to loose some lbs for those of us who do want to and would like support.

Hi- sorry to hear about all your complications- but hopefully you'll have successful IVF.

i think thats a good idea to get the support. I'm with SW at the min so if you want to keep in contact that would be fine :)

I'm NTNP at the moment after a loss, but I am eager to lose more weight- it's all got to help :)

Hi, I think its good idea to support each other. It's my weigh day for slimming world tomorrow....I have not stuck to it totally, but have defo ate much better this week. I will let you know how it goes :) I have not been back to the gym, but plan on going swimming tomorrow :)

hi everyone
i had my weigh in yesterday i was up i did expect it we ate badly from fri - yest
today since we were both up were back on track with eating and exercise.

i know that loosing 35 lbs has help regulate my cycles i now ovulate every month and my cyst is gone from my one ovary. doh loosing 45 has helped with his sperm count and ability to perform and recover

my main motivation for losing weight (2.5st in total) was doing it before TTC. i hit my goal weight and in that month we started trying, got pregnant in the first month but that sadly ended in a MC. (this was march) we are now trying again.

i would have never dreamed of starting before losing the weight as i wanted to be a healthy weight before trying.

i was never able to stick to any diet before this diet to get to a healthy weight to conceive it's all the motivation i needed.

3 lb loss whoop whoop .... Wanted to lose more but it is going in the right direction :). Didn't make the pool, but got my gym induction tomorrow :)

Day 8 opk negative
Last month day 12 to period = no positive.
Pdmcd17 maybe the reason for this is my weight, as you said once you lost the weight you started to ovulate.

Hiya ladies :hugs:

I start IVF (well we have our first official consultation ) On Tuesday and I fear I may be told I have to shift some weight before the start of treatment - so i am crash dieting ( doing that terrible 3 day beetroot/Tuna diet!) But it's worth it to get some lbs gone! :wacko: lol

Well done Bitsysarah, great news :thumbup: - how much do you feel you need to loose? - i'd love to shift 4 stone but that's very doubtful lol... so a stone to begin with will be a good start!

How's everyone else doing.... :flower:

Edit to add - I am overweight - but my periods were always regular - either 26/28 days normal periods.... then I had clomid - that totally messed up my cycles and put me all out of sink - I have stopped that and over the last 6 months they have returned to normal again.... and my tests ( all i have had done) have all come back OK.... The only thing I was told by the NHS guy we had been seeing was it was unexplained infertility... but i needed to loose weight Hubby to stop smoking and drinking!...

Hi- sorry to hear about all your complications- but hopefully you'll have successful IVF.

i think thats a good idea to get the support. I'm with SW at the min so if you want to keep in contact that would be fine :)

I'm NTNP at the moment after a loss, but I am eager to lose more weight- it's all got to help :)

:hugs: So sorry for your loss :hugs:

Thank you for your reply - I'd love to stay in touch if OK? i am having to do a crash diet this week ready for 1st consultation on Tuesday..... I need some motivation - we are moving house and run our own business so life is pretty full on at the mo! :wacko: xx

Thanks flipperty! Not done so good this week, still going to get weighed tomorrow though. I have told myself and my boyfriend that I want to lose 5stone before we ttc. I will still be overweight, but will be healthier. I have done opk the past two months and have not has a positive, I am really worried that I am not ovulating :(. I know there is no way I would get fertility treatment the weight I am :(

Flipperty, I home your first treatment appointment goes well.

I had my weigh in I was down exactly what I was up last week yeah back on track

Now it'd be nice if I lost about the same next week
Off to the gym tonight

i'm 36 and size 22-24 and worried that this may be causing its own problems ttc in addition to the age ones! i know that as soon as i have my bfp i will have the determination to make sure everything that passes my lips is going to be something healthy for the baby, but whilst i'm feeling stressed, i just cant seem to muster the determination to do anything for me now and as noone has yet said the weight is a problem officially i cant seem to get it in my head! i know i should loose weight for my own sake aswell as ttc but i just seem to have o will power at the mo.

is anyone else out there like me or got any tips/advice and has any experiences they can share please?

I was 50 lbs overweight when TTCing, I got pregnant from my frozen transfer so it wasnt a factor for me, but who knows if I would have gotten pregnant faster or naturally at my goal weight. My doctor never told me I had to lose weight, im 5'10 so the 50 lbs is distributed evenly, but if they had checked my BMI it was 29.... in the overweight catagory bordering on obese.

i know that as soon as i have my bfp i will have the determination to make sure everything that passes my lips is going to be something healthy for the baby, but whilst i'm feeling stressed, i just cant seem to muster the determination to do anything for me now

LOL this made me smile as I said the same thing, but honestly the stress doesnt leave when you are pregnant as you have each milestone to get through....the first scan to see if baby is viable and has a hb, getting to 12 weeks so MC risks go down, getting to 20 weeks and having measurements screenings. Im past that now, but I want to get to 28-30 weeks for bub to have a good chance if he was born early. So although I try to eat healthy I still crave comfort foods and havent been that good, like I thought I would be.

one thing I can suggest to everyone is to try acupuncture.....I comfort ate for 8 years after my dad died and nothing helped, even therapy. I started acupuncture before my frozen transfer and I felt like a different woman....calm, didnt crave sweet things. my dr said that if your body is unbalanced and in crisis mode its very hard not to turn to comforts, but acupuncture can bring it back to balance. so once I give birth Im going back for acupuncture for my cravings. right now Im going to her for chiro for back pain and cant afford both!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->