PMS vs. Early Pregnancy Symptoms?

kathrynsuzie

Reaction score
This is our 4th month TTC and I have tried to search this myself but am wondering, I have read that early pregnancy symptoms can be very similar to PMS symptoms, but do they show up at the same time? For example, my breasts always hurt approximately five days before my period begins, but could my breasts also begin hurting five days before my missed period if I am pregnant or can I expect them to hurt later?

Most signs are the same.

https://www.mypregnancybaby.com/pms-or-pregnancy/

This might help you a little.

kathrynsuzie- thats like the hardest part I think! They are so similar. :growlmad: Have you had any symptoms that you might think lend more to being preg then pms? I am curious to know- I am 4dpo and we bd'ed apparently right before I o'ed. When we bd the last time it felt.... different? Who knows- I am in the 2ww and it's a killer! I have had some unusual stuff happening the past few days..... most likely me hoping and wishing desperately for the :bfp:

it's horrible that early pregnancy symptoms are so similar to pms symptoms. It's the most frustrating part of TTC! x

So it is possible for PMS symptoms to be identical to early pregnancy symptoms and can occur at the same time? I hate the two week wait! lol!

So it is possible for PMS symptoms to be identical to early pregnancy symptoms and can occur at the same time? I hate the two week wait! lol!

From what I hear yes. I've been obsessing over anything preg symptom related and it seems like preg presents like AF. So it's just so frustrating that mother nature wouldn't make it totally different, like if someone just showed up to your house and said "hey, you are pregnant!". Like why can't the signs be that easy?!! lol.

I think you can actually make yourself think you had more signs than you have...if you start looking too hard, you may start seeing signs that aren't there! I know I have...

I don't think there is anything that distinguishes one from the other, which makes sense since the hormonal changes in your body will only be different around the time when your AF is expected to come - if it comes, your progesterone drops, if not it will stay up (because of the hCG the implanted embryo produces). And then the hCG will also cause symptoms etc

From what I understand it is the progesterone which causes PMS symptoms, and your levels will be almost identical in your luteal phase, regardless if you are pregnant or not (it will only drop right before AF is due).

So, essentially you would only notice a difference after the 2WW....which doesn't help obviously.
I think the only thing that could hint at pregnancy is if your body feels "different than normal" in the 2WW (eg I guess if you usually don't have PMS and suddenly you get weird symptoms).

I think it just really depends on what's normal for you and your body. Me personally, I never really got much in the way of PMS symptoms, except for cramping the day AF started or the day before. The month I got pregnant I felt way different - super painful nipples, nauseous, headaches, exhausted and hungover feeling starting from around 6/7 dpo. I never felt anything like that in the lead up to a period (unless it was after a particularly rough night out!), but I know some people do. So really just be in touch with your body, know what a normal cycle feels like for you, and most importantly, don't go looking for stuff or trying to figure out if you might be pregnant just based on symptoms. You'll drive yourself batty.

I think it just really depends on what's normal for you and your body. Me personally, I never really got much in the way of PMS symptoms, except for cramping the day AF started or the day before. The month I got pregnant I felt way different - super painful nipples, nauseous, headaches, exhausted and hungover feeling starting from around 6/7 dpo. I never felt anything like that in the lead up to a period (unless it was after a particularly rough night out!), but I know some people do. So really just be in touch with your body, know what a normal cycle feels like for you, and most importantly, don't go looking for stuff or trying to figure out if you might be pregnant just based on symptoms. You'll drive yourself batty.

Haha Don't I know it! I'm going to try and calm down and just wait until mother nature decides it's time for us- it's so hard tho!

Haha Don't I know it! I'm going to try and calm down and just wait until mother nature decides it's time for us- it's so hard tho!

Agreed!!! And thanks guys!! I think I may just be having PMS. Due to start around the 19th. I don't want to! lol!

Agreed!!! And thanks guys!! I think I may just be having PMS. Due to start around the 19th. I don't want to! lol!

Haha I know. I hate the few days right before AF is scheduled to show- so nerve-racking! Hoping AF stays away for you KS! Baby dust and MORE baby dust to you! Keep us updated :):dust::dust::dust:

When I went off BC I was crazy about the pre-pregnancy symptoms because every month I woulld be nauseous, sore brests, bloated, tired, and extremely moody. It took me about a year to realize that they are just PMS symptoms. It's hard because you want so bad for it not to be AF.

Some months were worse than others but typically I felt my syptoms are the week before my expected AF. I am curious though as to when the first signs of pregnancy are typical? I read that it usually starts the week of your expected period.

Well AF is due today for me and I just got another :bfn:. I feel like I'm out now tbh x

Nope had some bad cramping an hour ago which has now gone and still nothing.....hard to judge how long my cycles should be really as its only my first month off the pill. Have ordered some cheapy 10miu tests off eBay so when they arrive I can poas to my hearts content :lol: x

Congratulations kathrynsuzie!

Unfortunately the :witch: got me xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->