Police using identities of deceased children for undercover operations

fantastica

Mum.
Reaction score
Basically, for undercover stuff the UK police were using identities of dead children so that their identities would stand up to any birth checks. The parents were never informed. They no longer do it though, it was stopped in 2008. Opinions??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21316768

I think that is horrible and then not to inform the parents? Do people have any idea what is does to a woman to loose a baby-child? It is the worst pain IMO known to mankind :cry:. I feel it is very wrong and disrespecting that child's memory ... :cry:

Sorry I really hope i've not upset anyone by posting this :( I did think for a while before and was a bit hesitant. I agree with you, think it's awful :(

I honestly don't know how I feel about this. On one hand I would be very hurt but on the other if my son's name was used to bring down a pedophile ring, sex trafficking or stopped a young person from overdosing on heroine because of drug dealers then some good would have come from it I suppose. Surly informing a family would cause complications in a case?

Anyway, after writing that I still have no idea how I really feel. GladI its no longer done though

Sorry I really hope i've not upset anyone by posting this :( I did think for a while before and was a bit hesitant. I agree with you, think it's awful :(

No No not upset at all, just think it is horrible :hugs:

So that the identities would stand up to birth checks? Surely the police would have the resources to input false identities, complete with birth histories, into the computers to satisfy any potential checks? They have to use dead children instead? Horrible.

I don't think the premise of it holds up to scrutiny. On a basic level yes if a criminal organisation was to check birth records on you as a undercover officer using a childs identity, to prove your existence they would find 'you' were born. If they were that suspicious of you as to check what is stopping them checking death records to make sure 'you' are not a dead person ie catching you using someone else's name. More worryingly what's to stop them using the records to try and find 'your' mother and father, putting innocent (and bereaved) people in possible danger.

Completely unjustifiable without consent, in my opinion.

It's horrific!! Apparently this was something that was done in the 1980s. It's the poor families I feel for! Fair enough if it was done in a completely different manner eg if the police had asked the families permission! X

Horrific is the word I would use too. I wonder where I can find more information on this, as to when etc.

My sister died in 1979 at three and a half months, and then about nine or so years ago my parents got a demand in her name for national insurance contributions. Obviously could be coincidence but its enough to make me concerned the two are connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->