politics- how do you know who to vote for?

babycrazy1706

Mummy to Elijah and TTC
Reaction score
I just don't understand what labour or the lib dems or whoever do... I probably sound really dumb but I never really thought about voting before I had my LO. I just never used my vote. I have more interest now but don't really have a clue about it all. Can someone please explain?? Xx

In all honesty, they are pretty much the same imo.

Closer to election, I keep an eye on what their projected policies are and see which ones I agree with (not that it actually means they will implement their policies mind you!)

So far, Labour have announced a couple of their policies i.e scrapping bedroom tax & freezing gas/electric prices for 20months (how they can do that since those companies are privatised is anyones guess)

Libdems: Free school meals for children & upping tax codes so you pay less/no tax on low incomes

Cons: Not sure but think they were on about introducing tax relief for married couples?

Closer to election time they will bring out further policies.

when it is coming up to the election you can read the manifestos on their party websites (or you may get some through the door). easier still there will be party political broadcasts on telly that you can watch (about 10 mins and usually on at a prime time like just before Eastenders etc) that will outline their main policies.

In all honesty, they are pretty much the same imo.

Closer to election, I keep an eye on what their projected policies are and see which ones I agree with (not that it actually means they will implement their policies mind you!)

So far, Labour have announced a couple of their policies i.e scrapping bedroom tax & freezing gas/electric prices for 20months (how they can do that since those companies are privatised is anyones guess)

Libdems: Free school meals for children & upping tax codes so you pay less/no tax on low incomes

Cons: Not sure but think they were on about introducing tax relief for married couples?

Closer to election time they will bring out further policies.

The 'cons' promised this last time - still waiting for that one. I've always used my vote even though I don't always see the point as they are all as bad as each other!!!

Just keep reading. As long as you take information from loads of different sources (there's no point making a decision based on what the Mail says as that's a Tori paper so is obviously a bit bias), for example, papers, their manifestos, opinion pieces etc. Also, TV (Andrew MArr's show is my personal favourite, can't remember what it's called though) as listening to the parties debating it out can ofter answer a lot of questions you have. You'll soon discover what side you tend to lean to.

It takes a while to get your head about it, to learn what each party stands for as a whole. But the more reading you do, the more you understand.

They're not all as bad as each other, they all just have different focuses. Everyone hates the Toris just now but they have done some brilliant stuff for our family (a young family, who aren't entitled to benefits and run our own company) however speak to the family next door who needs the welfare system to get by and use a car a lot will tell you how much money they've lost through petrol increases, and loss of childcare etc will have a different opinion entirely. You have to make a decision based on your family. And you have to try not believe the hype.

But as long as you use your vote you're doing a lot better than most!

In the run up to an election party candidates will come round canvassing for votes. This is a great chance to ask them what they stand for, and getting an idea of who you want to vote for. You should get party manifestos through your door (leaflets outlining what each party and candidate stands for both locally and generally). The easiest way to decide who to vote for is probably to think about what changes you want to see in your local area and in the country in general (more relevant if it's a general election) and what you want to see upheld. Then look and see which party matches your "wants" most closely.

OH and I decide who to vote for in completely different ways. I vote with the party whose general outlook matches best with mine. I don't look at individual policies because I don't have the time to understand everything as well as I'd like... or the inclination! I trust that if I vote for people with a similar set of values, their policies will be pretty much in line with my views too. OH, on the other hand, votes for the party with the policies/plan he likes best at the time. So with all the financial crisis stuff, I think he voted differently to how he did before, even though the party he voted for aren't that in tune with his general values.

I think it's important to remember that it's your local MP that you're voting for, not the Prime Minister! If any of the party leaders loose in their constituency then they won't be able to be PM and the party will have to elect a new leader from the Parliamentary party (i.e. the MPs that have been elected)! Your MP is basically your area's voice in Parliament and should be advocating the views of your constituency. Ideally you want someone who's able to both be active in the community as much as possible whilst also attends Parliament for at least the important debates and votes and as much as possible outside that! Obviously it's important to pay attention to the news and party political broadcasts to find out the broad policy line of the party, especially as this is what every MP of that party will be expected to vote for in whipped votes (votes where the party leadership tells their MPs what to vote for and tries to enforce the party line). It's worth reading the leaflets and information that candidates put through your door and chatting to the candidates or at least the people campaigning on their behalf to get a real feel for who it is you're actually voting for! Personally, I make a point to not vote for someone who uses negative campaigning and doesn't actually put forward what they stand for and, if it's only 1 or 2 candidates, the people who don't go door knocking to speak to constituents!

Beca :wave:

OH and I decide who to vote for in completely different ways. I vote with the party whose general outlook matches best with mine. I don't look at individual policies because I don't have the time to understand everything as well as I'd like... or the inclination! I trust that if I vote for people with a similar set of values, their policies will be pretty much in line with my views too. OH, on the other hand, votes for the party with the policies/plan he likes best at the time. So with all the financial crisis stuff, I think he voted differently to how he did before, even though the party he voted for aren't that in tune with his general values.

I do this too. I don't always agree with every party policy- this time, for example, I think giving the vote to 16-17 year olds is a bit dumb, but I'm still gonna vote Labour.

Politics is just an illusion; there's only one side. Comedian George Carlin says it best. 'The Illusion of Choice'. :)

(warning, he swears a lot) Fast-forward to 4min02 to hear exactly what he thinks of voting, as do I.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC_wjQtfhZQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->