Polycysic ovaries without PCOS?

mrs C

ttc #1
Reaction score
Hi I have been TTC off and on for a year now. I have been using CBFM and getting highs and peaks and just started temping and fertility friend detected ovulation. I went to my provider this week about my ttc and terrible pelvic pain that I have been having during my period and after sex. She ran a bunch of labs: CBC, prolactin, HCG, progesterone, TSH, etc. She also ordered a pelvic ultrasound. All the labs came back normal but my pelvic US showed polycystic ovaries. From what I understand from her and the textbook that she gave me it is possible to have polycystic ovaries without the full syndrome. I should also say that I have very regular periods (less the terrible pain) and really no other signs of PCOS.

My question is has anyone else ever been diagnosed with this? I was started on Metformin and have the prescription to start Clomid next month.

hi Mrs C i have exactly the same as you. Regular 28-30 day cycle depending on when i ovulate. All bloods normal.HSG showed my tubes were fine. No signs of PCSO at all excpet the ultrasound showed that i do have cycsts on my ovaries:wacko:

I have been TTC for over 2 years now and have just finished my first cycle of clomid and in the 2WW.

xx

hi i was diagnosed with polycysts in june after ttc for 9 mths, i had some mid cycle spotting & was told to get an ultrasound done, i had no pain but they found polycysts on ovary ovary.....i finally got referred to a fs in aug, i was made to have a hycosy in sept & the results were good. I also had bloods done in aug to see if i was ovulating, which i appear to be. My fs has put me on 50mg clomid however to give my only ovary a boost. This is my 2nd cycle of taking it & im due on xms eve!! I remeber when we first started ttc sept 08 & i no way even thought boput the fact id still be ttc dec 09.....i honestly thought id conceive this year as it only took 6 mths to conceive my daughter who is now nearly 4 years old! Hate the fact we are prob going to be going into 2010 & still not preg.....:(

I do not have the usual symptoms of the syndrome part of it, my doc says that most syndrome sufferers are very over weight ( i weigh 9 stone & am 5ft, 4 so fine) my periods have always been very regular....30/31 days......the only things i would say is this year i have noticed spotting b4 each period arrives for up to 4 days but my fs doesnt seem concerned bout it. apparently syndrome sufferers get very bad acne, i would say i do get spots on face & back & shoulders, alot to be honest but dont think i could describe it as acne. i also get a bit of excess hair like around my nipples & below my belly button which i pluck out... ouch lol!!! but again, my doc says that syndrome sufferers really suffer with LOTS of hair...like everywhere...all over inner thighs over bum cheeks, even on face!!

xx

. apparently syndrome sufferers get very bad acne, i would say i do get spots on face & back & shoulders, alot to be honest but dont think i could describe it as acne. i also get a bit of excess hair like around my nipples & below my belly button which i pluck out... ouch lol!!! but again, my doc says that syndrome sufferers really suffer with LOTS of hair...like everywhere...all over inner thighs over bum cheeks, even on face!!

xx

That's not true at all Katy and it's worrying that your doc is giving you such misleading information! I have PCOS and I don't have acne, just a few spots. I have a few on my face and one or two on my back and shoulders but i have had them since i was in my teens and they never really clear up. And I get the same hair growth as you plus a few under my chin since having my son. It varies from woman to woman - having PCOS doesn't automatically mean you are a spot covered yeti!

And I am overweight (UK size 16, US12)but that is more due to me eating lots and not moving much :rofl: but again PCOS doesn't mean you're massively overweight, just that you are more likely to put weight on more easily, particularly around your waist.

Dragon mummy thanks for that. May i ask a question as you may now more than me. As with PCSO its easy to gain weight, do you think its equally as possible for PCO suffers to loose weight eaily to as thats what happens with me. As much as i eat, i dont excersie, i drive everywhere yet i dont seem to put weight on. Cant seem to get over 8st and my target weight is 8 1/2. Do you think that could be due to the PCO to. My Gyne was also rubbish when it came to actually explaining to me what PCO was. The things that i do know i learnt off the net.
xxx

i got diagnosed with polycystic ovaries but not the syndrome too.
Went for a HSG and tubes were perfectly fine.
And i thought metformin is for people with diabetes? Well thats what it says in the wikipedia and i assume you dont have diabetes if you have no other signs of pcos other than the polycystic ovaries?

oh and i swear i tried to google just polycystic ovaries but theres not much on it just pcos everytime i google it lol

Anyway goodluck with it hope you get your bfp. x

. apparently syndrome sufferers get very bad acne, i would say i do get spots on face & back & shoulders, alot to be honest but dont think i could describe it as acne. i also get a bit of excess hair like around my nipples & below my belly button which i pluck out... ouch lol!!! but again, my doc says that syndrome sufferers really suffer with LOTS of hair...like everywhere...all over inner thighs over bum cheeks, even on face!!

xx

That's not true at all Katy and it's worrying that your doc is giving you such misleading information! I have PCOS and I don't have acne, just a few spots. I have a few on my face and one or two on my back and shoulders but i have had them since i was in my teens and they never really clear up. And I get the same hair growth as you plus a few under my chin since having my son. It varies from woman to woman - having PCOS doesn't automatically mean you are a spot covered yeti!

And I am overweight (UK size 16, US12)but that is more due to me eating lots and not moving much :rofl: but again PCOS doesn't mean you're massively overweight, just that you are more likely to put weight on more easily, particularly around your waist.

hi...yeah i have always wondered that i must have the syndrome part.....its frustrating my fs & doc wont listen but getting kinda used to that now :( seeing another gyno on tues at a private hospital as want a 2nd opinion about endometriosis symptoms im getting so will def ask him about this syndrome part too.....i just sooo wish i could be given something for the spots, it really gets me down......my doc says theres nothing i can take as we are ttc....x

I don't have pcos but a friend of mine does and she is beautifully slim (UK size 8) and I have never noticed her with more than the odd spot. She was diagnosed with pcos years ago. She does get really bad period pains when she gets a period which is not as often as most. So I would agree with DM - pcos sufferers are definitely not hairy yeti's! So don't sign yourself over to the circus just yet! Also, many women with pcos go on to have children so please don't give up on yourself there are many things that can help you. Good luck hun.

Thanks Nise - and as you can all see from my siggy I have a little boy and we made him all by ourselves without medication so it IS possible.

To my understanding, PCOS causes your hormone levels to imbalance. This affects your insulin resistance (which in turn affects your weight). Metformin sorts out your insulin resistance thus causing your hormon levels to balance out again. It is the imbalance of hormones (too little progesterone (??) therefore too much testosterone) that causes the spots, hair growth, hair loss (on your head) and depression so generally metformin can help stop this progressing further. Also it is the imbalance that cocks about with your cycles - I hadn't ovulated since - well since the egg that became my little boy! But 6 weeks on Metformin kick started me again.

And this is why some people have some symtoms and some people have others. IT's all down to the balance of the hormones. Some people don't get knocked that far off kilter whereas others get completely off balance.

Hope that helps.

And Katy your doc is talking rubbish (again it seems!!) - they can prescribe you an antibiotic cream that is fine while ttc - my doc was gonna give it to me but actually the metformin has helped.

Dragon mummy thanks for that. May i ask a question as you may now more than me. As with PCSO its easy to gain weight, do you think its equally as possible for PCO suffers to loose weight eaily to as thats what happens with me. As much as i eat, i dont excersie, i drive everywhere yet i dont seem to put weight on. Cant seem to get over 8st and my target weight is 8 1/2. Do you think that could be due to the PCO to. My Gyne was also rubbish when it came to actually explaining to me what PCO was. The things that i do know i learnt off the net.
xxx

Laura, your weight could be due to your age, I note you are 22, (or was it 23, I can't remember now!:haha:) When I was around that age I basically lived on junk, got the bus everywhere and did no excersise, I could not get over 7.5 stone! I am now at the ancient age of 29 and have to watch what I eat and excersise in order to maintain my weight. Your metabolism will slow with age!

If I can throw my two cents in. PCOS is a spectrum disorder ranging from mild to severe. Those who are the most severely affected tend to have worse symptoms ranging all the way down to no outward symptoms. To be diagnosed with PCOS the person must have polycystic ovaries and be having some problem with androgens such as abnormal cycle, male pattern hair growth, weight gain, hair loss, acne etc. I think what katy is saying is that she cannot be prescribed any oral medications while ttc which is true as most things that would be prescribed are not compatible with ttc.

Metformin is a diabetes drug but is often used in PCOS is combination or alone with Clomid. It is used because it can help stimulate ovulation in a polycystic ovary.

I was diagnosed with PCOS a while ago but Im going to get a second opinion. I have polycystic ovaries, my LH level was slightly high and thats it, i have irregular cycles and not really any other symptoms other than bad bad stomach cramps.

x

xxx

Laura, your weight could be due to your age, I note you are 22, (or was it 23, I can't remember now!:haha:) When I was around that age I basically lived on junk, got the bus everywhere and did no excersise, I could not get over 7.5 stone! I am now at the ancient age of 29 and have to watch what I eat and excersise in order to maintain my weight. Your metabolism will slow with age!

Thanks hun, Im 23. I do eat healthy althougb to do binge occasionally. Thanks ever so much for your input.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->