Poor weight gain - getting v worried!

clairec81

Reaction score
Hi everyone, as you may know my LO was low birth weight and has struggled to put weight on. She is currently 22 weeks old / 15 corrected and weighs 8lb 11oz. She has been on high cal milk which has made a bit of a difference but got a v bad cold a few weeks ago which threw her, followed by a viral infection and high temp and was practically not feeding. She is getting weekly weighs and put on 1/2 an oz a week (to be honest I was v surprised she didn't loose weight!). She has began to come through it now and her feeding has picked up but she's still not and never has been a baby who drinks oz and oz of milk. She also started on Ranitidine a few weeks ago so the poor wee soul has has quite a few changes to her 'routine'. I'm starting to worry though and thinking about what will happen if this poor weight gain continues - back into hospital? NGT? My DH says he thinks she will put more on next week and weight gain won't show up that quickly - or indeed any weight lose she may have had wouldn't have showed up that quickly either. Started her this week on some solids - just baby rice and fruit purée and have consultant apt'm next week and seeing dietician so hoping she could give us a supplement or something. Please let me know if anyone has experience this or has any advice - i've been reading about Failure to thrive and tube feeding which is really panicking me! Thanks in advance.

I didnt' want to read and run hun, don't have any answers but wanted to wish you all the best :hugs:

hi, im not sure. surely they will try everything before tube feeding xx :hugs:

I would think they would only resort to NGT if she is consistently losing weight. Hopefully they will set your mind at rest next week. When is your appointment? We're up there next week too!.

I understand this my lo was low birth weight too and puts weight on really slowly now 37weeks and 13lb 12oz hardly puts weight on or drink/eat much rarely takes 20oz in a day he is on high calorie milk as well and weaning but a bit delayed with the lumpy food!! he puts on between 1 and 9oz every 2 weeks, but he is really active mad in fact!!

I understand this my lo was low birth weight too and puts weight on really slowly now 37weeks and 13lb 12oz hardly puts weight on or drink/eat much rarely takes 20oz in a day he is on high calorie milk as well and weaning but a bit delayed with the lumpy food!! he puts on between 1 and 9oz every 2 weeks, but he is really active mad in fact!!

sydnee weighs the same as your little boy in actual weeks :happydance:

and yet again mckenzie didn't put much weight on 4oz in 2weeks now 14lb at 37weeks, saw a different health visitor so guess wot she said lol if he doesn't pick up she wants to refer him to dietitian!! BUT that's not going to happen come on he can't fit much in his tummy!!!

Erin has consultant apt'm tomorrow and her dietician will be there. Hoping she has gained a bit more this week as she has fed a bit better but not holding my breath! Feel like we've been battling too many things as she has had a v bad cold and could't breathe when bottle was in, a viral infection and didn't want to feed and her reflux! On Ranitidine now which hopefully will help with that! She's hungry and feeding but can't take large amounts - still hovering around the 100 - 120ml and solids (staring slowly) at one meal time - will she ever have this 'CATCH UP WEIGHT'???

Ask the dietician about Maxijul powder to add to her milk (it increases the calories). If her milk is made up from powder they may give you directions on concentrating it more (ie more powder to water than usual)

Evie is still tiny, at 17 months she only weighs 17lb 6oz, I constantly worry about her. The HV says not to worry too much as her weight and height are on the same centile (0.2!!), meaning she is in proportion :nope:. xx

Evie is still tiny, at 17 months she only weighs 17lb 6oz, I constantly worry about her. The HV says not to worry too much as her weight and height are on the same centile (0.2!!), meaning she is in proportion :nope:. xx

Mikaylas the same 16 months and only 17lb. She is a tiny dot but consultant says as long as she is gaining (albeit a little!) and she is healthy in every other way then not to worry :hugs:

Had consultant apt and dietician attended. They said they think Erin is healthy but small! Consultant wants to tackle silent reflux first so has increased Ranitidine. If no improvement after 2 weeks will put her on Omeprazole (sp?). If still no improvement in feeding's he said they'll take her off Infatrini (high cal milk) and try another milk. He thinks she has just been really unfortunate as was low birth weight, has had numerous colds/virus' and has reflux - a lot to deal with! She put on 5 1/2 oz this week and is now 9lb at 23 weeks but not feeding great this morning- starting again? boo hoo! Dietician gave me Calgen (high cal concentrated liquid) to add to one milk feed and one solid feed - anyone else had this? I'm feeling pretty down which is cracking my DH up! He says we should be thankful she's ok and give her a break but it's me doing the majority of the feeds and its hard to see my small baby refusing to feed and horrible to be constantly 'force-feeding'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->