Positive digital OPKs, late period, negative HPT

Lolagee

Reaction score
I am looking for advice. My husband and I have been TTC for almost a year now. I had been on BC for 10 years prior and didn't get my period back for the first 6 months I went off it. I saw my doctor several times and all blood work, PAP test, and ultrasounds were normal with no reason for the delay but was told this is normal after being on the pill for so long. So I finally got my period and started tracking my cycles with a fertility chart. My cycle was still long but around 55 days (so twice as long as a normal cycle but at least it was happening) I decided to get OPKs (got the digital ones so I couldn't mess it up) since my cycles were long and irregular. I started testing 14 days after period and every 2-3days after with all negative until I finally got a positive on day 42 (I was starting to be discouraged since this cycle was longer). I got a positive for 7 days in a row! We had sex everyday during that window, then I ran out of tests but continued the daily sex for a few days longer for good measure. According to my chart, I should have gotten my period last Wednesday. I waited till Saturday (3days late) and negative HPT. Even if my ovulation was delayed I should have gotten my period this past Monday. Still nothing so I tested again today (4-9 days late) and still negative. Has anyone ever had this before? I have not been particularly stressed or anything. I am thin but active and my weight in normal ranges. I even cut back my running this year and gained 5lbs for good measure. What is going on??? Now I am getting stressed! Please help!

An OPK tells you you have had a hormone surge. The hormone surge usually, but not always, triggers ovulation. So it is possible to get a positive OPK without ovulation. So you could have ovulated later.

Most women will get a BFP by the time they are late for their period if they are pregnant but a few wont. A very few women don't get a positive urine test at all and need a blood test to confirm pregnancy.

Because your cycles are not regular my guess would be that your hormones are just a bit mixed up still. If you don't get your period soon you could go to the doctor and ask for advice.

Is it possible to have an LH surge (pos OPK) and not ovulate at all? All the information I have found says you can surge, but ovulate late, which is what I am hoping for, but nothing says LH surge without ovulation at all. This TTC is confusing! And the more I hear about people "accidentally" getting pregnant, the more frustrating it is :S

Yes - you can have an LH surge without ovulating. All the OPK tells you is that the surge is happening: it doesn't tell you that it succeeded in getting the egg out.

Since you had a lot of days of positives (normally the surge is only 12-36hrs) I'd say that your body tried to get the egg out but couldn't manage it, so kept on and on trying. Since you haven't had a period or a positive HPT, it likely didn't manage it, so you didn't ovulate (unless it tried again after you stopped testing).

Do you get other fertile signs (in particular, EWCM)? These can be helpful to see if you're ovulating.

Long cycles suggests to me that your body is taking a while to build adequate estrogen levels for ovulation (you ovulate once they reach a particular level). This can be due to low body fat and/or inadequate energy availability (so you're eating enough to maintain your weight and activity levels but not enough to also fuel a menstrual cycle). Does this sound like a possibility?

Thanks! These answers are helpful! I have gained done weight and cut back on exercise. I was training for an ultra marathon last year but cut down running tons since August. I eat really healthy but maybe I need to get more calories in :) who knew this would be a problem hey ?! Lol my weight is in healthy ranges but maybe not baby making ranges.
I have had blood work several times to test my hormones and such and didn't get any news back so I assume they are good but like you said, maybe not high enough to ovulate. I will give it a few more weeks because that is significantly longer than previous cycles and see my doctor again. Sometimes I wish I would just get my period so I know my body is functioning properly ! Obviously I would rather a positive HPT so maybe I should just wish for morning sickness or something lol
Hopefully this is figured out sooner than later :)

I think it's the amount of fat that your bady carries that has an impact. A womans body naturally carries a certain amount of fat. Being very thin can effect your periods but if you are of normal weight and all muscle that can too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->