Positive OPK in the mornings but negative later in day, plus AF! I'm super confused.

SAHM8306

Reaction score
I'm using Clearblue Easy digital ovulation predictors. I stopped birth control last month (April 24) but stopped mid pack. We are anxiously TTC. I missed a few pills (April 17, 18 & 21) prior to actually stopping my birth control completely and had some withdrawal bleeding that was very similar to my period. I had no bleeding after stopping my birth control on the 24th. I really had no idea when to expect AF since I quit mid pack. I could have sworn I ovulated May 10 bc I had a lot of egg white type cervical mucus. I started using the clearblue easy digital ovulation predictors on May 13. On May 23rd I had positive (smiley face) at 4:30am. However later that day I noticed a brown colored cervical mucus so I did another ovulation test at 4:30pm and it was negative. The brown CM continued that night. The next morning (May 24) around 4:30am I did another ovulation test and it was POSITIVE again BUT I also had my period. A red/bright red flow plus lower back pain and a bit of cramping. Out of curiosity I took another test at 8:30am (I didn't drink anything or use bathroom in-between) and it was negative again. Why am I getting positives with first tests in the mornings but negatives later in the day? And why am I getting positives when I have my period?!? I'm so confused! Can you ovulate when you are menstrating? Especially on Day 1? Can you get two false negatives like that?

Sorry you are having such a confusing time. Stopping BCP usually results in nuttiness. As far as your OPKs are concerned, I'd say it doesn't sound like you got an actual positive, but a "high fertility" reading. If you had gotten a positive on the CBDFM you would have a solid, not blinking smily face that didn't go away for at least a couple of days. The CBDFM does this so that you DON'T keep testing after you get a positive, or at least mine does.

Since this is your first cycle off of birth control I would consider when you stopped mid cycle to be a "withdrawl bleed" - then you didn't take anymore pills, correct? Now you are receiving your true first AF. Sometimes it takes the monitor a bit to figure out your cycles, but it shouldn't be a solid smily at all at this point for you. Even if you did ovulate really early, right after your period, you would be getting high fertility, not peak fertility readings.

I would give yourself this next cycle to get things settled, your hormones are still wacky from coming off the pill. Your body is likely just confused. If you have very short cycles multiple cycles in a row, or very long cycles, you should probably see your OBGYN. But you still have a few months before you'd need to consider that. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->