Possible Miscarriage?!?!

xraygirlie

Reaction score
So my story is basically I was scheduled to have foot surgery on 12/15/16 and when I went into the surgicenter they did a pregnancy test, standard procedure, and to our surprise it came back a positive. YAY!!! We hadn't been trying long but we had stopped actively trying due to my upcoming surgery. So we have been on:cloud9: since the 15th of December. I told my immediate family over the holidays since they were all wondering why my foot wasn't in a boot. Based on my last cycle date they were estimating that I conceived on 12/7/15. Fast forward to yesterday when I started to have some bleeding. I was hoping it was just spotting but I knew when I saw what appeared to be drips in the toilet that it was most likely more than just spotting. I called my OB who I hadn't seen yet, my 1st appointment was scheduled for 1/18/17, and they advised me to go to the ER to be evaluated. So I left work and met my husband and mom in the ER. They did a transvaginal US and lab work which was calculating that I was only 4 wks, 4 days. Based on being only that far along I would have conceived on 12/17/16, after my surgery date that never happened. So I am freaking out, the bleeding had pretty much stopped but I am now having pretty much constant cramping in my lower abdomen. The cramping started this morning....I am supposed to call my OB's office on Monday to get in, the ER physician contacted her last night and gave her the run down on what is going on.

I am wanting peoples opinion on what they think is going on. Real talk. I am completely scared but I am also a medical professional so I can take the brutal truth. Any advise is appreciated.

It's possible that you are measuring behind because your baby passed away and stopped growing at 4 weeks and 4 days, and you are now miscarrying it. It's not the ONLY possibility, though. If the bleeding and cramping do not continue, will they see you again to see if the embryo has continued to grow at all? I believe with possible miscarriages, they should re-scan to check whether a miscarriage has in fact occurred and if everything has been passed should one be confirmed to have occurred.

Fingers crossed for you. This is very hard. :hugs:

It is not definitely a miscarriage but that is a possibility. You certainly need a follow up scan to check if the baby has grown. This early on there is room for discrepancy in terms of dating pregnancy via scan, it is also possible that your baby would be there with a heartbeat at the next scan. People bleed for varying reasons in the first trimester, not all of them sinister.

Fingers crossed that this is nothing nasty!! In all honesty from what you have said, it could go either way. Good luck.

When was your LMP? That's usually how they'd date a pregnancy before a scan, not by conception guessing. Is the 4w4d based on sac size? or hcg? In my experience you can't base a date on hcg. And ultrasound measurements can be off +-6 days and be normal. (My OBs ultrasound machine even has a +-6 days out beside the screen that calculates the date when he is measuring)

The bleeding can go either way tbh. I've had 3 miscarriages and 1 healthy child, and had bleeding in all but the first miscarriage. The 1st miscarriage was a missed miscarriage and was only picked up after 2 scans, no bleeding. With my 2nd and 3rd miscarriages, I knew it was coming because my hcg wasn't going up like it should. I didn't start bleeding until it, started dropping. With daughter, I had a major bleed and horrid cramping during week 7, but baby was fine. So it's just hard to say what is going on.

I would say if you go by your LMP and the 4w4d date is way off...like 2 weeks or more then it could be a bad sign, especially with the bleeding. But there again, you have to take into account the fact that you could have ovulated later and implanted later. Sorry, I know not knowing and waiting is horrible, but hopefully the next appointment will give you more info. Did the hospital give you your hcg results? You doctor may do repeats to see if they are rising. Best of luck

:hugs: I'm concerned by the measurement coupled with the bleeding. Yes, ultrasounds before 6 weeks can be highly inaccurate as being off a fraction of a cm changes the dates by days, but to be off by weeks wouldn't be caused by an inaccurate measure. If you were positive 12/15, I have to agree with the conception date they gave. So you should have been 6w2d, that's 12 days off. Unless that 12/15 was a faulty test and you Oed late, it doesn't sound good. I'm sorry. I hope I'm wrong, but definitely get into the gyn on Monday and take someone with you. I agree have serial betas done to check what your levels are doing. The er should have run a blood test so you can compare Monday's to that. Hoping they did one. The really should have. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->