Possible Pre-Eclampsia

laceyinthesky

Reaction score
So at my dr. appointment today I've gained a whopping 9 pounds (!!!!) in 2 weeks. :shock: My diet hasn't drastically changed from any other time. I've been a bit swollen and my doctor said my BP was higher than it normally is. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was 130 something over 80 something and my baby's heartbeat was also 150 where hers is usually in the 130s. My dr. mentioned if I had any headaches/blurred vision/dizziness that it could be pre eclampsia and that I should call his office or go to the hospital right away. So now I'm worried! They took a urine sample, but how soon do they check for protein in it? I have a bit of a headache now.. don't know if it's from stress or being tired but now I'm worried as I've read that pre-e can have a sudden onset? Should my doc have taken it more seriously or am I just freaking myself out? Any advice is appreciated!!!

Also if I do end up having to go to the hospital do I go to the emergency room or to labor and delivery? Now I'm thinking of all these questions I should have asked my doctor! I guess I was just in a little shock. 9 pounds!!??!!

I wouldn't worry much. Your blood pressure is up a bit but in normal range, and the protein test is just a dip test that the results are tea while you are there, so they would have told you. In all my pregnancies I've had a time where I had a big weight gain for no real reason. Not a thing to worry about one-time, unless you have abnormal excessive swelling, especially in areas like the face. If you are in the US, normally you go straight to maternity triage, and they evaluate you there if you have worries

At my MW office they test for protein in the urine sample immediately and in front of me. It's just a little dip strip test and they tell me right way that I'm clear. I was told severe headaches and/or upper abdomen pain were the signs to call, when I had the same concerns for the same reasons (140/80 BP and swelling).

It seems silly, but try mediating. Elevate your feet to help with the swelling, close your eyes and focus on relaxing your muscles, deep breaths. all that. If it's just stress (which raises BP which causes dull headaches), it should help. If the headache gets worse, it's not stress and you might want to call if only to relieve your worries.

Also, try increasing your daily water intake and try to cut down on sodium/salt a bit if possible. It'll actually help decrease the the amount of swelling. I went from 2 liters a day to 3-4 a day and it made a world of difference.

I had pre eclampsia with my girl so with this pregnancy I've been extra tested in my bp. As long as it stays under 150/90 they are happy. It
Once went up to 169/97 and I was put on tablets for that.
They should've tested your urine yesterday with the dip stick as they can only test your urine for a certain amount of time. You could check your pregnancy notes and see what it says as they'll write down if they spotted protein. If it says NAD then there's no protein, if there's a + then there is protein and the more +'es, the more protein there is. But I had +++ once and a week later it was gone again.
With the headaches. They told me to take 2 paracetamol if I have a headache. If it goes, then all is fine, but if it doesn't then I have to give l&d a call. If you have any flashing lights or blurry vision, then call l&d and they'll advice you what to do and where to go in hospital.
Try to relax and I hope all is
Ok x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"