Post coital exam question

Rachelk1224

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm very new to posting about TTC, so bear with me! I'm 29 and my husband is 35. We have been TTC since January. I began seeing an RE earlier this month after having no success in getting pregnant as of yet. Turns out I have low progesterone. My husband's sperm report was great.

I'm going through my diagnostic cycle with this doctor to see how/when/if I ovulate, my levels, etc. As far as taking OPKs go, I've used the digital Clear Blue one and it has identified my peak fertility in the past. I know I ovulate towards Days 15-17 in my cycle.

My blood levels have all been promising so far, especially my FSH. I'm waiting for the LH surge to be detected in the blood work.

Yesterday was Day 12 of my cycle and I went in for a post coital exam. They looked under the microscope and saw no sperm present in my CM. They mentioned that they will repeat the test on CD14, which is tomorrow. I'm worried about this, even though we know my husband's sperm count and motility are good. Could there have been no sperm present because my CM was not the correct consistency yet???

I'm going back tomorrow. They mentioned that if this next post coital exam also comes back negative, they will suggest starting trigger shots and IUI. Just wondering if anyone else has been through this before!

Hey RachelK

I'm no expert or anything but when we went for our post coital I had been quite ill and I think it changed the consistency of my cm and there was still spermies in there but they weren't moving either due to sperm motility or due to my cm being too thick or "hostile" as they call it. I suppose it is kind of possible that something killed them but it seems strange that there were none at all.

The one thing I hate about fertility doctors though is they never explain anything to you and then send you home in a flat panic! I hope the second one goes well Hun.

Thanks for your response. I agree. I would have at least thought that the sperm in the sample would be there, but not alive or moving. I've been reading and it says that if you do the post coital exam too soon before ovulation, then you can get a negative result. The nurse mentioned it could have been a bad ejaculate. I did leave a little upset from the appointment. It is true that they sometimes don't explain enough. The nurse said I could possibly do IUI and trigger shots like it was no big deal. Well it's obviously a big deal to my husband and me! Thanks for the kind words. I will see what happens tomorrow. I normally have EWCM around ovulation, but I guess I'm not ovulating yet because there isn't much of that going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->