• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Potty Question

krissie328

Reaction score
So my son is fully day time potty trained. He has been in just undies for a month now with only a couple accidents (and those were because his pants got caught on his feet!!)

So my question is we are going to be out of town next Saturday. It is a 2 hour drive there and back. But while we are there one of the places we are going only has porta potties. Is this something I should risk with a 3 year old? I thought about minimizing drinks before hand and letting him wear a pull up. But even with pull ups he tells me he has to potty. I just really don't know how to navigate this as I am sure we will be there a minimum of two hours.

I should add porta potties freak the heck out of me. (One of my irrational fears.) So it would have to be my DH to take him. So part of this is probably just my fear of him falling in one.

Could you take a potty with you for the drive so you could pull over and sit him on the potty when he needs to go? He could also use that instead of the port-a-potty.

I definitely wouldn't put pullups on. What about a little seat to put on top of the toilet? My eldest was a bit funny about using the big toilet when she was newly trained so I carried a little seat for her to put on top of any public loos she needes to use x

When we went on long road trips during the potty training period - we would put our girls in pullups but we would stop every hour / hour and a half for pee pee breaks depending how long the trainee in question could hold out. In general the pull ups stayed dry.

We always travelled with a kid's toilet seat.

I have a kids toilet so I will look into taking that with us. He's never used it but I'm sure its a better alternative to pull ups. I think he can hold it for quite awhile. He can go his nap without being wet and those can range from 2-3 hours.

Skip the pull-ups and just get DH to take him to use the porta-potty. He'll be fine!

One of you either has to brave it (I hate them too, because I'm germaphobic, but you just have to deal with it and it does get easier), or bring a potty and have him use that in a private area (if you are able to carry it around with you). We work at a lot of summer festivals where they only have those sort of portable festival toilets. I truly cannot even get in them with my daughter. She's 4 now so I really do want her to have more privacy than just sitting there on the toilet with the door open and 20 people watching her. Also, frankly, sometimes they are a good 1/2 mile walk away. So we always bring a potty with us when we go. We are traders so we have a tent and our cars there behind the tent while we work. If she needs to go, I just take her out behind the tent, she uses the potty and then we dispose of it somewhere discrete and out of the way (if it's wee, if she needs to poo, she absolutely has to use the real toilets). Definitely at least bring the potty for the car ride. I wouldn't use pull ups unless he'll fall asleep and not wake to go in the car. We have used them on long car journeys because she would just wet herself initially when she was asleep as she wouldn't wake when she needed to go.

I've never limited my outings based on porta potties. If there's access to a place to pee, I don't think it should be a problem.

Thanks for all the feedback ladies. I am probably just overly anxious over nothing. Dh and I chatted a bit last night and he seems completely chill with it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->